Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a procomp 4" SUA lift. Going down a dirt road aproching the trail head I broke the center pin in one of the rear spring packs. A new spring pack is out of the budget right now and kinda a waste because I plan on doing a SOA conversion in a few months. How to I repair the broken spring pack? It has all the leafs, just need a new center pin.Thanks

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Go to the 4x4 shop or speed shop for that matter and buy replacement center bolts. Make sure you torque your u-bolts to prevent this in the future.
Travis..

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Or just take a grade 8 bolt that fits the spring pack hole and grind the head round.

·
Registered
358 Posts
How exactly does one go about breaking a centering pin while driving? Definitely need to torque your u-bolts down to spec.

hick

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
what torque value should I use? I had them pretty tight before.
A lot. torque them down until you see visible deformation of the plate, and then check them again after the next trip.

If the ubolts are too loose, the axle will walk around and snap the head off the bolt.

Also throw a spare in your tool box for the next time it happens on the trail.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Don't just tighten them, use a torque wrench. Do not use an impact either, use a torque wrench. Find out what the spec is from a service manual.
Travis..

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you've got a lot of free time on your hands you can slightly oversize your center pin holes in each individual leaf and run the larger diameter 3/4 ton center pins. After a couple hours with a round file(good luck drilling spring steel) and upgrading to the larger center pins, I never had another problem.

Also, when you're torquing you're U-bolts, make sure your spring plates aren't just bending. I've seen inadequate spring plates made out of 1/4" flat mild steel that just bend without achieving the appropriate clamping force.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you've got a lot of free time on your hands you can slightly oversize your center pin holes in each individual leaf and run the larger diameter 3/4 ton center pins. After a couple hours with a round file(good luck drilling spring steel) and upgrading to the larger center pins, I never had another problem.

Also, when you're torquing you're U-bolts, make sure your spring plates aren't just bending. I've seen inadequate spring plates made out of 1/4" flat mild steel that just bend without achieving the appropriate clamping force.
You can drill spring steel, I would just recommend a drill press, lots of cutting fluid, and going as slow as possible. I used some grade 8 bolts last time that I rounded the heads off using a grinder, worked great...:smokin:

hick

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
check and tighten your suspension bolts b4 every ride,i usually go over everything that can or could need tightening b4 each trip:D

·
Registered
569 Posts
Or just take a grade 8 bolt that fits the spring pack hole and grind the head round.
lol.. buddy broke one at the trail head and didn't have a spare. we took a hammer and beat the hex on a bolt until it was round using my rear bumper as an anvil. then we went wheeling!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used grade 8 cap screws (I think that is what they are called) that I got from Lowe's. They are round and have an allen head, plus they are just a little bigger (head wise) than the original pins were.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I used grade 8 cap screws (I think that is what they are called) that I got from Lowe's. They are round and have an allen head, plus they are just a little bigger (head wise) than the original pins were.
Had the same problem with a RE 4" kit. I used the same bolts as doodah. As far as U bolts, I replaced the old and cinched down with a breaker bar until tight. After a day of wheeling went back under the Jeep and ciched again with breaker bar. Don't tighten the U bolts to breaking point, but get them TIGHT.

I think the main problem they broke was the first time it happened I didn't have the U bolts tight enough. I listened onlined and cranked to 80-100 lbs with a torque wrench. Don't do this, just get the U bolts good and tight and you're good to go. Especially with pinon adjustment plates. Mine were steel and @ 8 degrees.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts