Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a broke u-joint (drivers side) on my WJ. That has HP44 front. What is the best way to change this. Never had to do it so i don't want to go in blind.
The 44 came out of a 79 ford.

Here is the basic build i have
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (LOADED w/ factory options)
WHITE FACED Instrument cluster (Factory 2001)
4.7l modified w/ moderate cam
K&N FIPK
PIAA Superwhite lights w/correct harness
Infinity Kappa Perfect speaker system with Infinity Kappa amp
Duel Optima Yellow Top Batteries
Painless duel battery system mounted in cabin
Cobra NW40 CB
Bold Design front Bumper w/ D Rings and cutouts for 5" lights
Warn HS9500I winch
Custom made Rock Rails
Clayton's Longarms
Custom lift (Springs by Valley Spring Works)
Billstein NEW 7100 shocks
JKS Adjustable track bar
Custom made drag link

Now for the goodies:
Front axle:
High Pinion Dana 44
1.25" wider than stock w allied beadlock wheels with 1.25" more backspacing to give it a 2.5" wider stance per side!
Mosher shafts
Warn Premium Locking hubs
4:88 gears
ARB Air Locker
Disc Brakes

Rear Axle:
High Pinion Dana 60
1.25" wider than stock w allied beadlock wheels with 1.25" more backspacing to give it a 2.5" wider stance per side!
Mosher shafts
ARB Air locker
Disc Brakes

Transfercase:
231 Cherokee T/C with a Tom Woods short shaft kit, tera 4:1 tera low kit. Converted to use the STOCK T/C Shifter in cabin.

Driveshafts:
Tom Woods front and rear custom made driveshafts. These are stout and use CTM U-Joints on both.

Allied Beadlock wheels with 36 locks. Black powdercoated

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires. 37x1250x15

·
Registered
331 Posts
Wow all those goodies and you DONT know how to change a Ujoint?

Take it to a shop.

OlyWa

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don' t think your busted u-joint warrants a breakdown roster of every single part on your rig :rolleyes:. Oh, I see the problem, you put the CTM's in your driveshaft instead of the axle shafts. Sounds like you have a ton of money tied up in your rig and absolutely no experience. Bottom line, wrong forum :mad3:.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its the joint on the drivers side front axle. that connects the the hub/shft to the axle.
Thanks on the kind words.
I work 70-80 hrs a week and off only sundays. i don't have time to work on mine all the time so the lack of experence is there.

·
Ford Bigot
4,101 Posts
Bacon, and lots of it. Bacon helps me change my u-joints.

Oh yeah what the hell do white faced gauges have to do with a wheeler's specs? This also sounds like it's never going to see the dirt. Just a feeling I have. :flipoff2:

Tool.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Bacon, and lots of it. Bacon helps me change my u-joints.

Oh yeah what the hell do white faced gauges have to do with a wheeler's specs? This also sounds like it's never going to see the dirt. Just a feeling I have. :flipoff2:

Tool.
LOL

AND MY XJ

·
Registered
316 Posts
Do you just buy them built and drive, or have you put the actual wrenchtime in? IMO your first post looks like you copied someone's cardomain page.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i posted it here hoping for some info. But i found it on another forum.
Yes i can change a u joint. but i needed to know if i had to pull the warn hub off to get to the axle and joint. Yes i buy built rigs. Don't hate because i can.:flipoff2: This is a great way to show new members the way you treat people. One person gave me some sort of help.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Perhaps you missed this:

Jeep - Hardcore tech (40 Viewing)
Hardcore Jeep tech here. Newbies beware!

or perhaps this by Steve N:

What's "hardcore"?

Things like fabbing 4 link suspensions, Jeepish buggy's, Big tires, big axles, fabbing trans adapters, fabbing hardcore parts. a common theme is fabbing.

What is non hardcore?

Lift kits, typical springovers, bolt ons, drivability, identification, and countless other things.

that is all.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I have a broke u-joint (drivers side) on my WJ. That has HP44 front. What is the best way to change this. Never had to do it so i don't want to go in blind.
The 44 came out of a 79 ford.

Here is the basic build i have
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (LOADED w/ factory options)
WHITE FACED Instrument cluster (Factory 2001) Don't care
4.7l modified w/ moderate cam Don't care
K&N FIPK Don't care
PIAA Superwhite lights w/correct harness Don't care
Infinity Kappa Perfect speaker system with Infinity Kappa amp Don't care
Duel Optima Yellow Top Batteries Don't care
Painless duel battery system mounted in cabin Don't care
Cobra NW40 CB Don't care
Bold Design front Bumper w/ D Rings and cutouts for 5" lights Don't care
Warn HS9500I winch
Custom made Rock Rails Don't care
Clayton's Longarms
Custom lift (Springs by Valley Spring Works) Don't care
Billstein NEW 7100 shocks Don't care
JKS Adjustable track bar Don't care
Custom made drag link Don't care

Now for the goodies:
Front axle:
High Pinion Dana 44
1.25" wider than stock w allied beadlock wheels with 1.25" more backspacing to give it a 2.5" wider stance per side! nothing to do with the question
Mosher shafts
Warn Premium Locking hubs
4:88 gears nothing to do with the question
ARB Air Locker nothing to do with the question
Disc Brakes

Rear Axle: nothing to do with the question
High Pinion Dana 60
Mosher shafts
ARB Air locker
Disc Brakes

Transfercase: nothing to do with the question
231 Cherokee T/C with a Tom Woods short shaft kit, tera 4:1 tera low kit. Converted to use the STOCK T/C Shifter in cabin.

Driveshafts: nothing to do with the question
Tom Woods front and rear custom made driveshafts. These are stout and use CTM U-Joints on both.

Allied Beadlock wheels with 36 locks. Black powdercoated nothing to do with the question

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires. 37x1250x15nothing to do with the question

·
Ford Bigot
4,101 Posts
Uh I can afford to pay someone to build my shit too guy. I'm sure plenty of guys here can afford to pay for all kinds of services - but don't. Changing a u-joint is something most people can do on the trail with a highlift handle, screw driver, pliers and a trailer hitch - yet you can't manage it.

In case you haven't noticed, the PBB treats people who post stupid questions like stupid people.

Welcome to Pirate4x4, now go home :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
its the joint on the drivers side front axle. that connects the the hub/shft to the axle.
Thanks on the kind words.
I work 70-80 hrs a week and off only sundays. i don't have time to work on mine all the time so the lack of experence is there.

great excuse.. i work 60 hours a week volunteer another 15-20 and have a family. and somewhere in there i figured out how to change my ujoints without having white face gauges..

and by some miracle ive restored an entire jeep...next excuse?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts