Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
oh wow look at that spline still twist even with 300M. Nice break, small bang from that? :D

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's the left rear of the Titan with the new Dynatrac Pro-80 in it.
It was with the 46's, we don't actually run the 54's yet.

It has the RCV's in it but just to clarify....
It's NOT a failure to be pointed at or blamed on the Longfield (RCV) axles.

I had the front about 8' up in the air on a old dead tree at my house (I know, sounds funny, but you shoulda been there, it was pretty cool.) and decided to do a burn out....
All the weight was on the rear tires. :nuke: :D

·
Registered
948 Posts
There has been two 35 spline inner 300M shafts, and 2 35 spline RCVs broken using Hi9s that I know of. I think with less than 40 inch tires.

All these parts have limits and sometimes they are reached. :) :)

Many thousands of foot pounds of torque and wheel hopping seem to be a contributing factor.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
There has been one 35 spline inner 300M shaft, one outer 300M stub shaft, and 2 35 spline RCVs broken using Hi9s that I know of. I think with less than 40 inch tires.

All these parts have limits and sometimes they are reached. :) :)

Many thousands of foot pounds of torque and wheel hopping seem to be a contributing factor.
True but,

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
It's the left rear of the Titan with the new Dynatrac Pro-80 in it.
It was with the 46's, we don't actually run the 54's yet.

It has the RCV's in it but just to clarify....
It's NOT a failure to be pointed at or blamed on the Longfield (RCV) axles.

I had the front about 8' up in the air on a old dead tree at my house (I know, sounds funny, but you shoulda been there, it was pretty cool.) and decided to do a burn out....
All the weight was on the rear tires. :nuke: :D
Well a least you broke it at home. So far your the first one to break one of the 300m shafts.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
True but,

Funny you mention that, I just happen to have an example on my desk from this weekend. :D

On the left, stock Dana 60 30-spline stub. On the right, Yukon 4340 30-spline stub.

not 300M, but 35-spline Yukon 4340. Old 4.0 motor with too much gearing.

All of these have the splines cut into the major diameter. However the earlier neckdown 35-spline inner I broke didn't damage the splines, but broke near the transition at the yoke:

I collect broken things as paperweights. :)

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
tapered smaller than the splines so the axle twists along the length of the whole shaft vs just the smaller diameter splined section.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Read Carol Smith's books or BillaVista write ups for more info.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
All of these have the splines cut into the major diameter. However the earlier neckdown 35-spline inner I broke didn't damage the splines, but broke near the transition at the yoke:
Was it like this at the yoke?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts