Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on the 4runner last night a noticed 1 spring in the pack was broken :( It's the second spring from the bottom, I have the overload spring , it cracked right in the center through the bolt hole. Looks like I need to go get a new rear spring pack.

Has anyone else broken the chevy rears yet ?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Is that the leaf with the clamps? May have to watch out for that one. What kind of shape were they in when you got them?

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They were and are still in good shape, except for the broken one. I don't know if it's the one with the clamps or not. I'll check tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing. I tightemed the u bolts and ran it like that for awhile. After 10 trails or so it spread to about 1/4". I finally replaced em.

·
Battle Masher
2,243 Posts
i backed my toyota into a rock and the schackle was laying flat against the frame. Nothing bent

·
Registered
575 Posts
Flimmy,
If you go looking for a replacement pack, dont bother going to Harry's in Hazleton... :(
I was there in Oct, and spent about 8hrs on every Chebby I could find that has the right packs.... I could only get two off, and one of the packs has a broken main on top of the eye. (I got it for spare leaves)....
I still need one good pack...or at least one good main leaf... :(

·
Registered
265 Posts
Cracker said:
Flimmy,
If you go looking for a replacement pack, dont bother going to Harry's in Hazleton... :(
I was there in Oct, and spent about 8hrs on every Chebby I could find that has the right packs.... I could only get two off, and one of the packs has a broken main on top of the eye. (I got it for spare leaves)....
I still need one good pack...or at least one good main leaf... :(
Flimmy & Cracker,
Have only been to Harry's once, great place, sent Bud there when he busted his springs last year at CMCC. Try Denaples in Scranton/Dunmore, got mine there for $35 a side. One had a shackle, the other was torched off. Anybody got an extra shackle for the Chevy 63"?

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice guys but I live 1 hr south of Pittsburgh. So I don't think I'll be headed out to Harry's anytime soon. We have a U-Pull_it yard 5mi. from me that has a few sets.

Did any of you have trouble getting the drivers side pack off the truck ? The pass side came off easy but I couldn't get the shackel bolt to move. I beat on the thing for 15 min. and it never moved. I wound up using 2 pass side springs, never could get a drives side off ( tried 3 different truck ).

·
Registered
159 Posts
I broke the same one in the same place and it has been broken for about a year. I just tightened the U-Bolts down really good and noting has happened yet.

Just wheel it!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
the pick-n-pulls here in baltimore kinda limit you on what tools you can bring in, I broke a hammer beating the crap out of the shackle bolt on a 63" chevy.

it took us 2 hours to pull both sides from a truck that was already jacked up, axle and bed removed. >look around for chemicals in the other vehicles like brake fluid and lubricants to help get the bolts out.

the rubber inside the clamp kinda fell apart, I hope I don't need that too much. :confused:

·
Registered
575 Posts
flimmy said:
Thanks for the advice guys but I live 1 hr south of Pittsburgh. So I don't think I'll be headed out to Harry's anytime soon. We have a U-Pull_it yard 5mi. from me that has a few sets.
Ahh....I know you guide at Paragon, so I thought maybe you'ld be up that way....

Funny thing I found on all the ones I tried to remove is that the nuts com right off, no problem....
The problem seems to be that the bolts rust in the sleeves, making it impossible to get them off.

I think I spent almost three hours wrestling with the rear bolt on one. Got the fron of the pack off, but couldnt get the rear off. I had the spring pack twisted around behind the rear bumper, twisted the shackle, and pried the hell out of the shackle mount, but that [email protected]@@@@ wouldnt come off!!

Hey OB, funny, that day that me & Bud went to get him new spring packs....I also spent a couple hours on THAT day trying to get a couple Chebby packs..no luck... :(.....I think Bud scored three or four 2wd spring packs that day.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Use a hacksaw on teh shackle or on the bolt...saw the bolt between the spring and the hanger or shackle. Use one of those close quarters hacksaws...not fun but quicker an what you did.

And bringg your own pb blaster.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
There is no need for bumpstops on those chevy's in my opinion. Ive beaten the crap outta mine, finally bent the passenger side about a foot back from the front hanger. a bumbpstop would not have stopped it from happening. Now leaving the front clamp intact probably would of helped, as would not jumping my rig up a wet rock wall.

Ive had those springs literally sandwiched completely against the frame tons of times, sometimes leaving it there parked. They havent sagged or cracked(that Ive noticed).

Fawk bumpstops :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cracker said:

Ahh....I know you guide at Paragon, so I thought maybe you'ld be up that way....
I've never been to Paragon :( I will be there 3 time this year spotting in the comps but I don't know if I will have the time to get there with my 4runner.

I never got a drivers side off but it only took 15 mi. to get a pass side off. I don't know why the pass side was so easy and the drivers so hard :confused: .

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I've been running my Chevy's w/o bumpstops for 3 years now w/o problems... :D

I'll admit they're a good idea, but......... so far so good. Someday I'll get around to it. ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
flimmy said:

I've never been to Paragon :( I will be there 3 time this year spotting in the comps but I don't know if I will have the time to get there with my 4runner.

I never got a drivers side off but it only took 15 mi. to get a pass side off. I don't know why the pass side was so easy and the drivers so hard :confused: .

who ya spotting for ?:D i know what broke that spring .the pile of shit on top on it when it was in storage:flipoff2: i bet it was weak or cracked when you put it on

1 - 20 of 26 Posts