Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've got a Detroit locker that broke (manufacturer's defect) and Detroit won't do shit about it since it is over a year old. I found it when replaced a shaft that bent at the flange. It never acted up or showed that anything broke inside it. This is what I found...

My question...the teeth that engage to make it lock are fine. The small teeth and internal cage that make it unlock around corners are what broke. If I were to cut that internal cage out that normally makes it unlock, would it basically act as a spool? It is sitting in my garage in pieces and it just seems like a waste sitting there. Clearly the internal cage probably wasn't working for however long it had been in pieces...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parts to fix it would run right at $500. A new one is $560ish with my club discount at 4WP...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some slight modifications to my broken Detroit...the part that lets it unlock around corners broke a while back and I threw in an open carrier...after some thinking I decided to put the Detroit back together...with a little bit of a diet...

Broken parts...

So I cut it out...

To get this...

And put it back together...

It is basically a full spool now with a little bit of give in it that the Detroit is designed to have in the first place. Next step is putting it back in the 8.8 and having some fun with it. :headbang:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts