Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so far I've been lucky and haven't managed to break an axle shaft that I coulden't get to. But this years trip to Moab I am beting that I will break an inner axle or two.

So my question is - How do you guys get an inner or rear broken axle shaft out.

Every know and again I hear stories about shafts that jam themselves in the housing when they let loose. There have got to be some of you guys out there who have perfected this trail fix.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
magnet on a stick,
wad of duct tape on a stick.
magnet on a stick with sticks duct taped to the sides to keep the magnet from stickin to the housing.

make sure and carry a couple of quarts of 90wt just in case you have to pull that damn cover off.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I have yet to see anyone or hear of anyone successfully retrieve a broken splined stub from a carrier using a magnet. When I broke my 31 SP dutchman shaft in JV, I not only had to pull the third member (9"), but I had to completely disassemble the detoit because there is an inner lip in the detroit the the stub kept getting stuck on. I don't know how many of you have taken a detoit apart but reassembly is a bitch, even with 4 hands.

SeanP

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
SeanP said:
I have yet to see anyone or hear of anyone successfully retrieve a broken splined stub from a carrier using a magnet. When I broke my 31 SP dutchman shaft in JV, I not only had to pull the third member (9"), but I had to completely disassemble the detoit because there is an inner lip in the detroit the the stub kept getting stuck on. I don't know how many of you have taken a detoit apart but reassembly is a bitch, even with 4 hands.

SeanP
I've used my Magnet on a stick to pull out 3 broke inners on my old 44 :p

Creativity works too... Get out yer darn welding rod :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
1. Dana 35 in Tru Trac --- magnet
2. Dana 35 in Tru Trac --- magnet
3. Dana 35 in Tru Trac --- magnet
4. Ford 8.8 in ARB --- removed both shafts, locker, beat it out with a chisel and limped home with 1/2 of a master shim holding the locker in place
5. 14 bolt lincoln locked --- not yet, gotta love the FF though

JB

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Heres what we do. Take your on board welder and tack however many rods of 6011 together that you need to reach the broken part. Then, being carefull not to touch the sides on the tube, have your buddy turn on the welder. Get everything into position except the ground. Have that same buddy touch the ground clamp to the desired spot on the vehicle and the rod arcs to the broken piece. Workes great and we did it twice on a d44 front w/ arb and d60 w/ arb.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Carefull on welding rod. You can arc a bearing and toast it.
Ask me how I know.
I grounded the tube not the carrier when welding a Dana 35 spider gear set together as a trail fix.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I bought this little reach magnet at the hardware store. It has a flex joint at the magnet end.

I laughed when I saw it, but I really needed to get the thing out so I tried it. I could barely shake the piece of shaft off the magnet! Handy tool that I have [unfortunately] used several times now

·
Premium Member
5,760 Posts
i know that no one wants to take the diff cover off but this past weekend we had an interesting trail fix on a 35C, use a spair ARB line with an ARB spring on the end to force the mangled splines out of the carrier, it took quite a while to fix but this plumbing technic works

i would also be carefull about welding inside the axle tube, think about it, if you are infront of the axle tube and the diff fluid would some how ignite, whatever loose objects are in that tube will be coming strait at you like a cannon ball, being impailed by a welding stick doesnt sound like to much fun to me, but hey survival of the fittest:D

·
Premium Member
12,585 Posts
YJ_Swamper said:
i would also be carefull about welding inside the axle tube, think about it, if you are infront of the axle tube and the diff fluid would some how ignite, whatever loose objects are in that tube will be coming strait at you like a cannon ball, being impailed by a welding stick doesnt sound like to much fun to me, but hey survival of the fittest:D
Like a gun!

J. J.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
you would be the first ever that i have seen ignite gear oil....we weld carriers up all the time while they are still in the housings. it is like diesel, hard to ignite.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
On Rockwells, we take a piece of wire and basically make a lasso for it. The magnets and tape tricks don't seem to work as well for us, so we stick to the wire.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I bust one flush with the side gears on my locker and i counted hook it or get a magnet on it without magneting the bearing and everything else.

I ended up using duct tape. First I taped a rag to the end of a pole with some gas on it to clean off the shaft. Then I waddup some tape and taped it to the end. Stuffed it down pressed really hard and pulled it out. It took a few tries but it came right out. I spent longer messing with the maget then using the duct tape method.
I used am aluminum tent pole for the pole.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.