Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have no idea how this happened, got it in a swap I did, at least I can use it as another core engine eh? If I weld this can I make it work........LOL
Anyone break one like this and how did ya do it? Of course the head is now shot also...:(

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Damn! Well the head is still fixable , looks like you need a new cap for sure . A machine shop will fill the low spots in with filler rod and machine it and put in a split sleeve that looks similar to a bearing

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
head prolly warped and seized part of the cam.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
I have seen this before, the head "has" gotta be badly warped. Its possable its from a lack of oiling, but unlikely....
(the last I saw do this broke right in the center also).

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
had that happen 2 weeks ago on a suzuki 16 valve 1.6 motor because of lack of oil, It took out the cap broke the cam trashed the journals:mad: oh well It's only money

~Nate~

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
TR said:
head prolly warped and seized part of the cam.

I agree. Think about it, overheated, blew the headgasket and warped the head. Head was pulled and milled flat BUT the cam journals aren't straight anymore so the head is always trying to force the cam into an arc.

How do I know this? Same thing happened when my mom-in-law blew the HG on her Dodge Omni but I had the head milled anyway then told her to sell the car quick!:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ironic

Man

My cam snapped in the same place. If you do a search you will see a pic of my cam on here also. Pretty s**tty when it happens. I am still in the progress of swapping heads.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
so the consences is that the head wars bending the cam into an arc cause it to break there?

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys...not out of my 4runner...:D , I got it from a swap I did for another pbb person he was going to use it, but has no room for it as I do so its mine. I went to pull the head off to check it out and I snapped a head bolt off next to that crack, all the others came out fine, with a lot of help..."Air", But thats just as well, nothing I need to dig into anyway, Just a "core" motor now anyway, unless someone wants to buy it from me...cheap:D

·
Registered
695 Posts
All the snapped cams I've seen here at the shop were causing by lack of proper oiling. Most of the vehicles were WAY overdue on an oil change which the oil was black as night.

I only have seen one improperly resurfaced head cause binding. If a head is warped more then say .020, the head should be straightened before resurfacing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey Jim-
Just thought I would let you know why it snapped - (it always had synthetic oil and was checked weekly so it wasnt oil) the timing chain was loose for a REALLY long time- and we were warned that the cam would go if it wasnt tightened and my dad told his friend he could borrow the truck if he tightened the chain....blah blah blah the guy didnt do it and the cam snapped and we ended up with the truck and you know the rest- so that s how it happened!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
...never seen that before on a yota...seen a dodge 360 do it though, made a nice six cylinder. HEhehe, that sucks dude.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts