Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I don't see too much on 404 gears, I just broke some teeth off my Ring gear on my rear steer 404 axled buggy. Now is this common? Has anyone else had this issue? When I took everything apart I got some more bad news, the third member case was broken aswell. I think some pieces got into the R&P and exploted the case.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I took a few teeth off my front ring gear about 5 years ago.
Ive been wheeling with mog axles for about 10 years now and this is the only time it's happened, hopefully an isolated incident?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea. I was breaking boxes but I had my buddy cut some out of 7075 T6 on his cnc and now I broke r&p.. hopefully thats not the next step

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Blew out both main caps

and at the time, I thought the ring gear damage

happened after the caps blew, but maybe it was gear teeth
jamming the whole thing up and then exploded the case??
But like others, it's only happened the one time in 11 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've exploded a rear ring gear once but I was bound up in the rocks with the crawler gears on and tried giving it gas. Stock 404s are 85HP and can handle up to around the 110HP 2.8L that was offered but with my 2.8L and crawler gear (3:1) she popped. No other damage just the teeth missing off the ring gear. 4 wheel drive back to camp listening to the rear end clamp and rattling around :)

Rule of thumb in a Unimog, if in crawl (350:1) and the motor is stalling at idle, pick a different line.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ive read some where that there was on older version 404 center and newer. ring being thicker in the new. benzworld i think it was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts