Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the pic's arn't the best but the camera sucks:D ......Would you run this. I need to change to 5.29's so The drive to my new job is quicker but don't have the money for new set quite yet. just wondering if it's worth changing out third's. no other damage to ring gear or pinion. What do you think????

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
your kidding right ? it is junk.

·
nice roach.
5,722 Posts
My front has about 4 teeth that look like that.... been like that for a while but I dont have very many high traction areas to wheel mainly dirt/trails/slop so thats probably why it hasnt broken. I definitely wouldnt run that third in the rear of a daily driver, maybe a rec vehicle with a spare 3rd somewhere with me or Id prolly run it in the front.......

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
just out of curiousity, do you know the history on it? Is it a Genuine or maybe a richmond? who set it up?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Think of it this way: You want to get to work faster right?

When that 5.29 R/P lets go... You won't be getting to work. you'll be stuck along the highway. You may be late, may even loose your job...

You can't go much slower than broken and stopped...

save up the $300 to gear your shit and then do it right. ;)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CWToyota said:
Think of it this way: You want to get to work faster right?

When that 5.29 R/P lets go... You won't be getting to work. you'll be stuck along the highway. You may be late, may even loose your job...

You can't go much slower than broken and stopped...

save up the $300 to gear your shit and then do it right. ;)

FWD:flipoff2: ............where do you get $300:confused:

I figure $400 for gears and install kits(good ones) and then another $250 to have third's set up

$$$$$750$$$$$ More than I can swing being unemployed of 3 months:eek:

·
Registered
860 Posts
does the front and rear look like that? if not throw that shipped one in the front and put the good one in the back until you can save some money to replace it.

also if only the rear looks like that why would you need to replace both?

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
The pinion has contact on more than one tooth at a time. I'd bet it would work fine on the street for quite some time if you were gentle.

My old rear 3rd had several chipped/broken teeth on it and I ran it that way for more than a year (carrying a spare stock 3rd when wheeling just in case). And its still being run in my brother in law's 4runner as we speak. :rasta:

Sure its not ideal, but sometimes ya gotta do whatcha gotta do...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
ya. You can just about bet the tooth contact was way off. Tell me all the markings that are on the side of the ring gear if you could.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Im in no way of credible advice at all, but if it were me, Id run it. Hell Ill commute to San Francisco in January with no windshield and no doors. :D

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
If I were to run it, I'd run it in the rear as it's much easier to change out than the front. However, I'd be very gentle on it and replace it when funds allow with Richmond or some other made in USA quality, not Genuine Junk.

Would be nice to see better pic of the front and back of tooth engagement...maybe setup to shallow and therefore cracked the tooth. If so, might not run it.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
If you're just street driving it until you get the money to change gears, go for it. You might get a pop out of it once in a while, but it'll really let you know when it's time for a new one. I know the sound of R and P failure too well. You can actually drive on a broken one for quite a while until it binds from all the chunks of metal in the pumpkin. Done it twice. Save up for the gears you want and run it until it dies. Worse case is you get a tow ride home.

Trail usage, forget about it. Don't be that guy that holds everyone else up.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I'm going to try running in the back and see if they have a howl to them .If thay do howl alot I will just put them up front.I'm going to try to get some better pic's to day as well:D

·
Registered
273 Posts
hell no man, that would really suck if you blew your Third Member on the Trail.......because one broken tooth, will be 2, then 3 , then your screwed.............

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's not trail worthy yet:D I don't take my junk on the trail until I thing it is worthy......I'm one person that hates breaking on the trail. This is just temporary until I get back on my feet;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts