Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I jsut kick it out, like you see in the movies? The cab is tweaked, so the standard method of removal isn't gonna work.

·
Registered
455 Posts
i used a sawsall on my girlfriends windshield on here sentra after it was stolen and fucked up.
just put the blade between the glass and the metal frame

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used a sawzaw too on mine. The Mac man sells a special kit too if you got the $$$. You can also use a gutair string and "saw" it back and forth.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Both times I've had to do I've used this method;

If the windsheild isn't totally smashed take a hammer to the non-cracked parts. Put on a good pair of gloves and start pulling it out. If the adhesive is really holding it in try a guitar string or a cheapy windshield removing tool from Harbor Freight. Both times once i've gotten a good hand hold on the windshied I've been able to peel it out no prob. Take a shop vac to the entire area as even the littlest glass pieces will hurt you. Good Luck

Travis

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DSI said:
sit in seat, feet on glass, push outward :D
This way sounds like the most fun, except even after a week, the damn seat is still soaked:mad:

Hey Dave, how'd your A pillar hold up after cutting your roof off? I know you peeled the back of the cab in Reno, but I'm curious how the pillar held up. I'm planning on cutting the roof off and building a new cage that will be tied into my cab hoop on the flat bed and tightly hug the inside of the A pillar, with a Rockstomper windshield. I will still need to drive the truck to the local trails, until summertime rolls around and I start making some extra $$ again.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the windsheild frame was fine, i did over the summer tap it on some tree's and a rock or two but never bent it enough to damage the glass or the shape of the frame really... it wasn't tied into anything either, the cage just touched it in teh top corners and it seemed to holdup fine... matter of fact when i cut the cab up i cut the window fram right across the cowl so i could keep teh glass as a spare for later, so iv'e got a windseild still in ithe frame in my rafters :D

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Starting to sound like a plan to me then. I was looking through pics of my truck today and I just like the look of the front end on 3rd gen trucks too much to go buggy on it, past the windshield is a different story though. :D

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
since the cab is tweaked I'm assuming the glass is broken and not salvageable, I used the kick out method on mine, I'd reccomend covering the entire inside of the windshield with duct tape to avoid a possible rain of glass in your face,

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Julian_4x4 said:
Removing windshelid is very hard get a pro to show you how
Give me a fuckin' break, you obviously have no idea who I am. If I can fabricate entire vehicles, I'm sure I can manage a windshiled. Thanks for the concern.....dumbass:flipoff2:

Edit: The windshield is already broken into a bunch of pieces and the cab is not straight either, so there is nothing to worry about damaging

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MoonDog said:
since the cab is tweaked I'm assuming the glass is broken and not salvageable, I used the kick out method on mine, I'd reccomend covering the entire inside of the windshield with duct tape to avoid a possible rain of glass in your face,
I may try this, as I've been trying to turn it over during the week, the wipers always seem to come on as soon as the key is turned and it knocks pieces of glass down with every pass. Now the frickin key won't turn at all so....

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Wilson said:

I may try this, as I've been trying to turn it over during the week, the wipers always seem to come on as soon as the key is turned and it knocks pieces of glass down with every pass. Now the frickin key won't turn at all so....
take a tiny phillip's screwdriver up under the dash and unscrew the plastic part at teh back of the tumbler, a small flatblade fit's in it perfectly to turn it, only thing is the steering will still be locked...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.