Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done helping install a 9inch skyjaker lift on my buddys 1978 bronco. He decided to take out the 4speed tranny and install a c6 with his 205. While installing the front driveline tonight ran into a snag. The driveline is hitting the tranny pan. Do we need to clock the transfer case down to clear it or is there a different adapter? He had the fourspeed and 205. Bought a c6 matted to a 203 and combined the c6/205. Any help would be awsome. I posted this in the newb section and no replies. Thought I'd try it here thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sirch.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=912838&highlight=c6+np203+np205

Original question...
"I got a 205 from I assume mid to late 70s. I believe my front output to be the cv style. Now I am also running a c6 with the short adapter housing. I can't seem to find a driveshaft that will clear the c6. I have been running just the normal driveshaft on that output but of cousre the ujoint straps are binding the caps and tearing up the needle bearings every trip out. Did they put the cv style front outputs on the c6s or only the manual trans trucks?
My front output is a 1310 and rear is a 1330."

Answer to that question, and the reason for your fitment issues...

"Both the C6 and the 4 speed equipped trucks came factory with front CV driveshafts. If you are saying that you don't have room for a CV at the transfer case end of the front driveshaft, it's most likely because you are using a C6 that originally was bolted up to an NP203. The C6 that came with an NP205 also came with a longer output shaft and a longer adapter housing, the longer housing allowed the CV to clear the C6. The C6 that came with an NP203 came with a shorter output shaft and a shorter adapter housing, but since the NP203 itself is deeper (front to back), that combo would also clear a front CV driveshaft. I've got factory trucks with the factory C6/NP205 combo with the front CV and i've got trucks that have been pieced together that have the C6/NP205 combo (where the C6 originally was bolted to a NP203) that there is no way a front CV driveshaft will even come close to fitting. And, the amount of the output shaft that sticks out past the adapter is the same for either set-up, so you can easily interchange a NP203 and an NP205."

·
Registered
70 Posts
u need a c-6 out of a 79 bronco, it has the 8 3/4 in tailhousing....its what i needed for my 78 shortbox, plenty of room for a cv, that bronco had em front and rear

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think Soupcan has it. The early C6 had the long adaptor which pushed the transfer case back far enough that the driveshaft on a NP205 will clear the transmission. The 80's C6 has a short tailshaft that matches up with the planetary reduction in front of a chain drive type of transfer case. When used with a NP205 the front yoke is too far forward. I always just call them either the 6" or 9" extension, but I am sure neither of those measurements are exact. Just a ballpark to tell a long from a short.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts