748 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Lookin good man!

Question for ya

Did you sell your old front axle yet?

If not i might be interested in it

My name is Andrew. I actually met you at Blaine's a couple months ago

Let me know. Thanks
I am holding on to it for now with hopes to possibly build a family rig in the future.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
looks like a fun build, cant wait to see how much of the jeep is replaced by the time your done. its about as easy to just build another rig sometimes.
The only thing that will be left of the Jeep will be the outer skin of the body and the frame rails from motor mounts to behind the driver seat. It would have been much easier to start fresh with a ground up build but we wanted to keep our car a modified Jeep (even though there is not much left of her). A ground up build may be in our future, but it will be a 4400 car.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Any reason you went with an inside the frame steering box? I see a lot of Jeeps running these boxes, and always wonder why not take it to the outside? I would think a longer draglink would help with bumpsteer a little better, and you can get large piston, outside the frame boxes no problem. But if enough guys are doing it, then there's something I'm not seeing, so I figured I would ask.

Great looking build. Good luck this next year :).

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Any reason you went with an inside the frame steering box? I see a lot of Jeeps running these boxes, and always wonder why not take it to the outside? I would think a longer draglink would help with bumpsteer a little better, and you can get large piston, outside the frame boxes no problem. But if enough guys are doing it, then there's something I'm not seeing, so I figured I would ask.

Great looking build. Good luck this next year :).
At full bump and the steering turned all the way to the passenger side the tire almost rubs the outside of the frame rail. I was originally designing my steering around a Scout II box. The packaging with that box was perfect being that it mounted to the outside of the frame and was a forward facing pitman arm locating the box close to the centerline of the axle clearing the outside of the tire. After multiple conversations with PSC they convinced me that the long sector shaft and small bore of the Scout II box wasn't ideal for racing. I tried to find a steering box with a short sector shaft, forward facing pitman arm and a big bore, but was unsuccessful.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Your missing a link:flipoff2:
I ran out of time to mock up the track bar. The pics do simulate the axle movement with the track bar. I plan on placing it just above and behind the drag link. I will have to move the upper CA mount on the axle a little but it should fit.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
At full bump and the steering turned all the way to the passenger side the tire almost rubs the outside of the frame rail. I was originally designing my steering around a Scout II box. The packaging with that box was perfect being that it mounted to the outside of the frame and was a forward facing pitman arm locating the box close to the centerline of the axle clearing the outside of the tire. After multiple conversations with PSC they convinced me that the long sector shaft and small bore of the Scout II box wasn't ideal for racing. I tried to find a steering box with a short sector shaft, forward facing pitman arm and a big bore, but was unsuccessful.
Gotcha. That makes sense. PSC is correct on the Scout boxes. They seem to have a lot of the same issues as the Early Bronco boxes with twisted sector shafts. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Finished mocking up the track bar and started on the engine cage so we can figure out radiator placement and how we are going to get our new shock package to fit under the hood. Changing up from King 2.5 x 14 coilover IBP's w/ 2.0 shorty bump to King 2.0 x 14 coilover w/2.5 x 14 triple bypass and 2.0 shorty bumps. Also starting to work on the boatsides.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 382 Posts