Pirate 4x4 banner

1061 - 1080 of 1702 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,062 (Edited)
I guess I really shouldn't be putting this stuff in this thread, but oh well, I've been a bit side-tracked lately :D

Picked up some wheels, tires and axles for the RC jeep. Axles and knuckles are all 100% metal (aluminum) should be alot stronger than the plastic junk that came with the RC chassis. And started making the links out of steel. Busted out the TIG welder for these, no way to really MIG something this small without having globs of weld all over it.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,065 (Edited)
Back to the real Willys!

I've been disassembling some of the front axle that I picked up some months ago, to take it to be re-geared (He requested that the brakes, hubs, shafts and steering linkage be removed, and oil drained). I may go ahead and remove the knuckles as well, since I'd like to put grease zerk ball joints in there. When I get the axle back from being re-geared, I'll clean up the housing a bit and paint it probably.

Anyway, it looks like there's a locker or some sort of limited slip in there around the spider gears! Anyone know what it is? The numbers on the side of the locker read: 6 05 67 A 23591X No other markings that I can see. And a google search doesn't yield much.

And the ratio right now in this axle that I got is 3.55, so I think that means the carrier and locker can be re-used when the 4.10 gears go in? I hope, that would be sweet :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
That's a Powerlock. You lucky dog. And the carrier break for Dana 30 is the 3.54 and for the Dana 44 the 3.73 so you are SOL on the 4.09 unless you get some thick gears made for the 3 series carrier.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,067 (Edited)
That's a Powerlock. You lucky dog. And the carrier break for Dana 30 is the 3.54 and for the Dana 44 the 3.73 so you are SOL on the 4.09 unless you get some thick gears made for the 3 series carrier.
So I can't re-use the carrier. That means I can't re-use the locker as well? (sorry for the basic question, I'm a noob with differentials)

·
Registered
89 Posts
So I can't re-use the carrier. That means I can't re-use the locker as well? (sorry for the basic question, I'm a noob with differentials)
Mike is right. You will need a new carrier. I found this on ringpinion.com Do I Really Need To Buy Another Carrier?
The D44 uses two different height carriers. When using ratios that are 3.73 or numerically lower (such as 3.54 or 3.07) a short carrier case is used to allow the large pinion gear to fit in the housing and move the carrier flange far enough away for the ring gear to have thickness left to support teeth. When using ratios that are 3.92 or numerically higher (4.09 all the way to 5.89), a taller carrier case is used to move the ring gear closer to the small pinion, without having to use an excess of expensive ring gear material.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The thickness has nothing to do with the axles, it's just the thickness of the ring gear (if you were to lay the gear on a table, how "tall" it would measure). The thick gears should be about .32" thicker than a standard gear set of the same ratio.

I think that the rubicon TJ/LJ uses essentially a 3.73 and taller shaped carrier, like you have, and thick style gears. Probably uses different sized bolts. If you found a set of used 4.10 TJ rubicon d44 (not JK) gears you could probably run them on your existing carrier. I could be mistaken but if I'm right it would be a very inexpensive way to go and you could reuse your powerlok.

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
The thickness has nothing to do with the axles, it's just the thickness of the ring gear (if you were to lay the gear on a table, how "tall" it would measure). The thick gears should be about .32" thicker than a standard gear set of the same ratio.

I think that the rubicon TJ/LJ uses essentially a 3.73 and taller shaped carrier, like you have, and thick style gears. Probably uses different sized bolts. If you found a set of used 4.10 TJ rubicon d44 (not JK) gears you could probably run them on your existing carrier. I could be mistaken but if I'm right it would be a very inexpensive way to go and you could reuse your powerlok.
This if you have a D44 front....for some reason I was thinking you had a D30 :confused:

The other interesting option is....you could do JK based low pinion D44 gears! They use a more modern gear cut, have an almost 9" ring gear, and use a much larger pinion. The good news would be that they require a 3-series carrier also :evil:

Jantz Engineering: Jana K4

The power-lok, with manual steering, can start to get a little 'stiff' feeling depending on the clutch pack and washer setup. Just something to keep in mind. I really liked my power-lok in the rear axle with an automatic locker in front. That combo worked VERY well for me.

What are you doing for the rear axle?

1061 - 1080 of 1702 Posts