Pirate 4x4 banner

1621 - 1640 of 1702 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Good job on the tranny tunnel and Congrats on the JP mag article. .... and I'm glad to see that my fork truck was in the article too :)

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,622
Good job on the tranny tunnel and Congrats on the JP mag article. .... and I'm glad to see that my fork truck was in the article too :)
I've been thinking some more on the doors, I think I have an idea that I might like, will sketch it out and give you a ring soon :)

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,624
went back through part of your build and didnt see it, did you use the stock Willys radiator?

Wes
Yes, factory original radiator as best I can tell (brass) with a new core. I had the new core put in when I still had the original flathead motor. Haven't had problems with it since. Did have to move the radiator over to the passenger side of the crossmember though, to make room for my reverse steering box.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,625 (Edited)
been super busy at work, haven't had any evenings or weekends to do much. BUT, I have a few days free before the Moab trip to knock out a few things :)

Shifter knobs for fun/practice (and to try out some of this Aluminum Black, which I like!), and starting on a switch panel.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,626 (Edited)
Driving to San Jose this weekend to check out a job opportunity, nice short trip to shake down any of the new changes I've done to the jeep before the Moab trip. Although I've still been driving it every day to work, so there shouldn't be any surprises.

I rotated the tires yesterday and took it up to 60mph, and I notice the front seems smoother now. Probably time to have the tires re-balanced. Will try to do that when I return from this weekend's trip.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,629
I live in Campbell (next to SJ), send me a message when you get here. I want to check out the flattie again.
I'm staying with a friend/coworker in Morgan Hill, probably won't have much time this trip since it's just a short weekend, but I'll more than likely be back up there for a few months on this job until July. Will definitely have to visit some of yall in the bay area :) I'll have the Willys with me then as well.

PM me your phone number and address though :)

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,630 (Edited)
Trip to SJ went well, but man I've got a cold, hopefully I'm better before tomorrow so I can head to Moab :D

I do have a pretty sizeable oil leak though, and I'm having trouble finding out where it is, everything is just covered in oil, haha!

Can anyone tell me, does this bolt hole circled in green (Dana 18) go through to the inside? or is it a blind hole? Due to how my adapter is setup I'm unable to really get a bolt into this hole, if it's a through hole, that might be my leak source. I can just barely get a short bolt into that hole, but no real good way of torquing it down good. If it's a through hole, I could probably slather the bolt in RTV and get it in there as tight as I can manage. Or just try and fill the hole with RTV. Worst case I can pull the TC and cap it off like I did with some of the other un-used internal holes.

I believe my case is #2 on this photo, going back through my old photos to try and verify that.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm thinking that's a thru hole, and that I had a stud and nut there on mine because there wasn't room to feed a bolt in. You have to put the stud in the tcase first before you put it on the transmission IIR. That's based on three or four year old info in my foggy memory so I'd say it's only worth what you paid for it! But good luck.

Seems like if it was a thru hole and you forgot to bolt it, you would have had a gusher leak since day one?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,632 (Edited)
...Seems like if it was a thru hole and you forgot to bolt it, you would have had a gusher leak since day one?
That's what I was thinking too! But it seems to have oil in it.... but that may not really be the culprit just based on that, since oil is everywhere :D As best I can tell by probing it with a piece of mig wire, it SEEMS to be a blind hole, but I can't get a good look at it even with a flashlight and mirror. Maybe I'll try jamming the camera up there in macro mode, see what I get. Or open up the PTO cover and see if I can feel around for a bolt hole. I want to open up the back cover anyway after the 800+ mile trip this weekend to check the torque on the drive gear nut, I don't trust the thin nyloc nut anymore :D

I sprayed it down good with simple green and washed it off, will go for a drive later and see if I can pinpoint where it's leaking from. I'm definitely getting some engine oil from the bell housing, but I'm getting fresh golden looking oil as well, which is either trans or tcase. Diesel oil is instantly black, even after a few miles, haha! So it's fairly easy to distinguish between the two, although it's pretty much a mix of both right now.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I checked the hole on the Dana 20 I just built and it does go through. It's not real deep either, I doubt it is a blind hole on the 18.
What's up with the adapter and no bolt in that hole, did you clock it or something?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Should be a through hole. Mine leaks because its impossible to get a good torque on it with everything else in the way.

Hope to see you out here in Moab.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,636 (Edited)
Well well well.... that must be at least part of the leak source, if not the main source.

Wonder why I didn't notice the leak before? I've got about 16k miles with the adapter plate and transmission.... Maybe I DID manage to get a bolt in there before, and it just finally wiggled out on this trip.

Thanks for the help fellas, I'll figure out a way to cap it :) I'll probably cut down a cap screw so it fits in there, slather it with RTV and get it as snug as I can with one of those ball-end hex keys.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,637 (Edited)
Hm.... well now I seem to be having clutch issues... ugh. Well, I think I'm out. No Moab trip for me.

The clutch pedal seemed loose this morning, and it was jerking and bucking when trying to take off from a stop. I have to feather the clutch alot more than normal. I tightened up the clutch cable, didn't help. And going into and out of gears feels.... different. Can't describe it really. A bit more difficult to change gears.

I wonder did I possibly get the clutch wet (and with oil) when washing off the oil from underside of the jeep yesterday?

The day before, I had a few funny feeling shifts while driving around town. I didn't think anything of it, just chalked it up to the rough road I was driving down. But maybe that was the first sign of something going. Clutch spring, or throw out bearing or something?

The only good part about this is that I have 3-4 weeks off work before I start my new job in San Jose, if I have to pull the motor and change the clutch, I can get it done. But not what I was looking forward to... :-\

I'm going to let the engine idle for a while, see if that helps dry off the clutch. But I did drive it yesterday about 10 miles after I washed it down, and didn't notice anything different.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,639
I drove the willys around the block, just to switch places with my TJ so that I can start working on the clutch issue. It SEEMED to drive ok. But I'm going to check the clutch anyway. I'm going to try dropping the transmission instead of pulling the motor this time. I always worry about side loading the input shaft though...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just read all 66 pages. Awesome build. Definitely makes me rethink my build and has almost persuaded me to ditch my spring over setup in favor of spring under again.

Hope all is well with the clutch issues. Would hate to hear some bad news.

1621 - 1640 of 1702 Posts