Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
im going to be running a 1uz so i don't think i could fit the exhaust on the drivers side, it looks like i would have to go under the transfer case (i have a 2" body lift). i don't think i would want to run the exhaust that low unless i cover it with my belly pan. but the reason to get this clocking ring is to have a flat belly so that would be dumb. or maybe the exhaust wont stick down that far.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here is how I moved my sticks. Kinda hard to tell but I used 3/4" strap to bring them back to center.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Ok I've got a strange question for those of you tearing into your floors right now. Would you mind measuring from the floor to the top of the tranny tunnel both at the trans shift and two at the T-case.

I have a theory on why Tacoma's late model 4Runners seem to be able to get a flat bellypan far easier than those of us with early model trucks and runners.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Part of it is that the frames on the later rigs is thicker/taller by an inch or so.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Ok I've got a strange question for those of you tearing into your floors right now. Would you mind measuring from the floor to the top of the tranny tunnel both at the trans shift and two at the T-case.

I have a theory on why Tacoma's late model 4Runners seem to be able to get a flat bellypan far easier than those of us with early model trucks and runners.
whats the theory? whatever it is, i think youre right. my taco builds are ending up with the same belly clearance, do to the cab floor shape, as previously required a 2'' bodylift on older trucks(85-95)

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Theory goes:

1st and 2nd and 3rd gen trucks have a shallow tranny tunnel with not so tall a frame,

the shallow tunnel makes clocking t-case easier because the floor board is higher up, which is why the tunnel is smaller

Taco's is the opposite, they got a taller tunnel, so to clock your t-case you have to cut into it. But since the tunnel is taller to begin with Toyota mounted the tranny and t-case high from the factory. Add in the taller frame rails and you get flat belly pan way easier. Its kind of like the floor board is lower and tunnel is the same.

(Not really sure Im making to much sense right now)

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Off course this throws off the CG measurment of top bolt of bell housing (not by much but...) it also would mean that any measurments from frame to ground on an early truck to a taco would not be as comparible as perviously thought.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Update: Mine has been leaking like a sieve for the past couple weeks. I think the combination of the clocked t-case and new x-member might've shaken the seal loose and or destroyed it. Either way there is 90wt dripping out of the t-case joints...

BTW, it's an SKS/CR Seal part #14572 dimensions are 37x58x13mm

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Anyone have one of these clocking rings that they are willing to get rid of or know if BudBuilt is planning to start selling them again? I emailed him over the summer about it and he said he had to fix a sealing issue, but was't working on fixing it right away. I feel that there would be plenty of demand for him to work on fixing the issue or even enough demand for another company to make their own.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Update: Mine has been leaking like a sieve for the past couple weeks. I think the combination of the clocked t-case and new x-member might've shaken the seal loose and or destroyed it. Either way there is 90wt dripping out of the t-case joints...

BTW, it's an SKS/CR Seal part #14572 dimensions are 37x58x13mm
So looks like I'll be picking up a clocking ring kit in a couple days. I've heard more than one person say they've had their's leak. Did you ever solve the leaking issue?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I ran one for a while and had multiple leaks. After re-visiting the issue multiple times I finally got it to stop. I can give you the info of how, but it's specific to a W59 manual trans. What drivetrain do you have?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I also have a W59 currently installed. It will be going away sometime in the next few months and an A340 will be taking it's place. Clocking ring will be donated to whoever wants it.

I also got mine to stop leaking (for the most part) after the first (or second) seal revision. That was close to 10 years ago.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I also have a W59 currently installed. It will be going away sometime in the next few months and an A340 will be taking it's place. Clocking ring will be donated to whoever wants it.

I also got mine to stop leaking (for the most part) after the first (or second) seal revision. That was close to 10 years ago.

Dibs!

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's out of the truck sitting on my welding table, all yours. FWIW the new seal worked great, zero leaks. I was concerned about the potential for oil starvation as the taco t-case has an integral oil pump. I disassembled it last weekend and didn't find any evidence of damage or excessive wear.

It bears repeating that installing this w/o a body lift requires a large amount of cutting/fabbing, and it will definitely interfere with the drivers side seat mounts.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts