Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Friends of mine are in Oregon this week on the 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility mag Trail Tour photo shoot, and ran across this car hauler truck converted into a toterhome. :smokin:

Chassis is a White/GMC. PO removed all the car hauler racks except for the one over the cab, and morphed a 5th wheel camper onto the back. Looks like really clean work. Apparently it's got both a 5th wheel plate/gooseneck ball and a bumper pull ball on the rear, so it's got lots of towable options.

Should make a great 'goin-to-KOH roadtrip' rig. Hopefully we can haul 1 rig on top, 3 place behind, and 8-9 of us comfortably inside. :laughing:

Any NW Oregon peeps recognize this rig?

I can't wait until they get back from OR so I can check it out.
Here are the teaser pics they sent:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
The rig on top better be pretty short. Looks really tall to me but painted nice.

·
Registered
460 Posts
hey is the rig that goes up front clear????:D

Damn good find..just the thing i needs to see to add to the clutter of future projects in my mind.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
does that thing have some kind of hydraulics that raise up the front platform? doesnt really look like it,but its hard to tell from the pics

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Wonder how spooky of a ride it will be with a rig on top while going through curves or God forbid..... a panic stop.:eek:
Hope it works out well.

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
does that thing have some kind of hydraulics that raise up the front platform? doesnt really look like it,but its hard to tell from the pics
Two hydraulic cylinders up front.

Wonder how spooky of a ride it will be with a rig on top while going through curves or God forbid..... a panic stop.:eek:
Hope it works out well.
That's what that truck chassis is designed for. It is probably the best platform to start with when building something like this.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Hope it works out well.
Same ride and handling as any similar style car carrier out there but without the additional weight of of 3-4 more vehicles loaded at the same height:

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I ponder that same thing one day while driving down the highway.... But then after some simple math realized that even 9x5000# cars is only 1/2 what all the other trucks are hauling...

What I am always amazed at is how low the trailer rides.. Granted I've seen em surf the pavement but its still cool...

That's one creative hauler setup for sure... Very smart !!!!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I saw that thing in Salem couple days ago. Had for sale signs in it. If it would have been stopped I would have got pics. It had a small oydessy buggy on the ramps and they were level. I don't think I would like a very heavy car up there myself.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
Seems awfully tall. Keep an eye out for low branches, bridges, and stay away from drive-thru anythings...

I also don't see how that could have a 5th/gooseneck connection on the back of it. But without seeing the back it is hard to say.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
on a dedicated car hauling rig,as pictured above, the trailer part is still a 5th wheel. the 5th wheel plate is behind the rear axles,low to the gound,so it pulls kind of like a bumper pull,but still a 5th wheel attachment.

if thats what this toter was made from,its prolly still got that hookup back there. gooseneck could be as simple as an adapter ball clamped into the 5th wheel plate.

been while since ive seen one of those rigs and looked close at it,but im thinkin the 5th wheel plate would be too close to the ground for most GN or 5er trailers without some sort of lengthened box or coupler. maybe not tho. id sure like to see some pics from the back when they get back with it. :smokin:

at any rate i can see having a 5er and bumper pull hitch back there.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Seems awfully tall. Keep an eye out for low branches, bridges, and stay away from drive-thru anythings...

I also don't see how that could have a 5th/gooseneck connection on the back of it. But without seeing the back it is hard to say.

How often do you pull your big 5th wheel camper through a drive through?
I'll be waiting to see pics of the back as well to see hitch options.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
been while since ive seen one of those rigs and looked close at it,but im thinkin the 5th wheel plate would be too close to the ground for most GN or 5er trailers without some sort of lengthened box or coupler. maybe not tho. id sure like to see some pics from the back when they get back with it.
Yeah, I realize the way car carriers are set up. But, as you say, it is pretty low to the ground for anything other than a car carrier. So I was trying to picture how it would be set up for a typical 5th/GN situation.

How often do you pull your big 5th wheel camper through a drive through?
It was more of a tongue in cheek reference to that video of the camper going through the drive-thru and pulling it down on the truck cab. Still, that thing looks higher than your standard 13'-6" tractor trailer height - especially with a rig on top of it - and would be something you had to be aware of. Around here about every couple months I seem to see box vans with their tops peeled back from forgetting about such things.

·
Registered
785 Posts
things probably gonna be overhieght REAL quickly. doesnt even look like it has low pros o nthe steering axle.

that one i nthe picture with the blazer on top is probably over legal height the way hes setup,. as most guys can only run a car on the top platfrom to keep from getting to high....

as far as skateboard trailers, ya, that 5 wheel style sucks ass for wheneve i tow them with my wrecker. im always shooting sparks off the pavement as we hit bumps and shit.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally saw this thing in person--it's very nice.

Outside has a normal Class 8 fit/finish, and the inside is a very clean 5th wheel RV interior with shag carpet, etc.

He's got an 8-speed and smoked me up a couple of passes where my 5-speed and 7.3L IDI UHaul were underpowered and mis-geared! :laughing:

He was hauling a CheepSpeed on the front and a 5k# FJ on a 2k# tilt trailer behind, he was probably pushing 28k#, and I had an FToy inside and a rig behind, so I was 22k#.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Really wanted to see this thing loaded for the road with a rig up top :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts