328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's the plan:

Custom home-made 4 seat tube chassis
EFI 302, C4, Atlas II
Ford 60 front
14 Bolt rear
39.5" tires

I want to use this for recreation with the family mostly so comfort, reasonable safety, and wheelability are the objectives.

Tube bender is in the mail, should be here next week. I went with a Rogue Fab 1.75" diameter 6"CLR rotary draw bender. Joe was awesome to work with and spent some extra time talking through the different options and didn't just try to sell me the most expensive one.
Shipped, I spent $819 with my military discount and another $80 on the Harbor Freight ram. If this seems steep trust me it's not compared to any other hydraulic bender on the market, besides Affordable Bender which isn't rated to .120wall nor does it do a 180* bend.

32.jpg

I'm picking up 140' of 1.75"x .120wall DOM tubing tomorrow from KGS Steel inc in Nashville. They weren't the cheapest in town initially but they did have it in stock and were willing to match the price of the cheapest supplier in town. My quote was $3.87/ft.

Here's what I've drawn up for the chassis and dimensions. Let me know if something is wrong asap because I'm going to start bending metal this next week.

It's based primarily on the proven Twisted Customs design, with a little Hendrix, as well as general dimensions from my EB.

tube buggy.jpg

Buggy Cost:
$900 Bender
$600 DOM Tubing
$1500

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
You're going to eat that 140ft up fast, but looks like a good start.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Looking like a good plan, I went even cheaper dropped a F-Toy onto a Early Bronco frame. I actually had room and was planning a mastercraft style bench for the rear but I don't have kids so I ditched that idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bronconut: you gonna try and adapt some eb skins to your F-toy chassis. Know your work from CB and was wondering what the plans are? Have looked at this chassis and their others several times in the past and looked again the other day after seeing your set-up. I just can't get past the stuck on top of the frame look. Hopefully you have some slick eb skins in mind.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Bronconut: you gonna try and adapt some eb skins to your F-toy chassis. Know your work from CB and was wondering what the plans are? Have looked at this chassis and their others several times in the past and looked again the other day after seeing your set-up. I just can't get past the stuck on top of the frame look. Hopefully you have some slick eb skins in mind.
No skins in mind at this time, don't want any body work to worry about. Will just get the normal F-Toy side panels. Sorry for the hijack on the thread.

·
Registered
148 Posts
4 links? Coils, Leafs, coil-overs? I'm planning a similar build. Eastside Custom Truck has a Bronco-skinned 4-seater buggy pics in their pic gallery.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking like a good plan, I went even cheaper dropped a F-Toy onto a Early Bronco frame. I actually had room and was planning a mastercraft style bench for the rear but I don't have kids so I ditched that idea.
I think that looks pretty sweet! I thought about doing something similar and starting with an EB but decided that I would end up cutting so much off it just made sense to start with a custom chassis.

4 links? Coils, Leafs, coil-overs? I'm planning a similar build. Eastside Custom Truck has a Bronco-skinned 4-seater buggy pics in their pic gallery.

The plan is four link the rear for sure and if I can make it happen I'll four link the front as well. If it looks like the front is going to be tight I'll do a radius arm type three link with panhard.

Coilovers are the plan suspension wise.

I've been looking at all the ultra4 /KOH builds lately and everyone seems to be doing the built rear trailing arm with mid-mounted coilover and bypass design. Is there any benefit or disadvantage to running that type of setup on a crawler or does that mostly benefit high speed?

I would think it would allow more travel with a shorter shock. Has anyone seen it done with a single coilover? or would this make the spring rate too stiff?

I got the steel from KGS steel in Nashville last Friday. I can't say enough good things about these guys! They not only met the lower price quoted by their competitor but when I went to pay gave me an even better deal. $3.50/ft

IMG_20140107_083721_282.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
It looks like you've got a nice build plan. My dad and I just picked up 3 early broncos and plan on turning one of them into something similar to this.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
I think that looks pretty sweet! I thought about doing something similar and starting with an EB but decided that I would end up cutting so much off it just made sense to start with a custom chassis.

The plan is four link the rear for sure and if I can make it happen I'll four link the front as well. If it looks like the front is going to be tight I'll do a radius arm type three link with panhard.

Coilovers are the plan suspension wise.

I've been looking at all the ultra4 /KOH builds lately and everyone seems to be doing the built rear trailing arm with mid-mounted coilover and bypass design. Is there any benefit or disadvantage to running that type of setup on a crawler or does that mostly benefit high speed?

I would think it would allow more travel with a shorter shock. Has anyone seen it done with a single coilover? or would this make the spring rate too stiff?

I got the steel from KGS steel in Nashville last Friday. I can't say enough good things about these guys! They not only met the lower price quoted by their competitor but when I went to pay gave me an even better deal. $3.50/ft

View attachment 1166306
Already had a EB that worked great the way it was set up but the frame was starting to give me problems and I was beating up what was left of the body. Kept the same wheel base, drivetrain, suspension as my old orange POS hoping to shed quite a few pounds also. I'll more than likely four link the rear at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not my buggy, but has 4 -links front and rear, 4 seater. Also P*ssenger drop front axle...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the pictures and feedback guys, that's exactly the references I was looking for.

So the bender showed up yesterday and I was able to assemble and paint it between then and this afternoon.

Putting it together wasn't too bad. The instructions were a little vague in some parts but it was very intuitive. I think I kept second guessing myself more than anything because I was worried I would weld something together that I wasn't supposed to.

Speaking of welding.... I thought I was going to burn my welder up with all the joints and seams to finish weld. I never hit my Hobart's duty cycle though so I guess it wasn't too bad.

The kit from Rogue Fab was pretty good, but there were some hiccups in the process. First off the kit should absolutely come with Casters. This thing is heavy and it was worth the $16 I spent at HF for them.

Also, beware of the ram from HF. It came with almost no oil in it and didn't work initially until I put in a full quart! After reading the rams instructions it has a section that says it may be "low" and require some oil....

IMG_20140107_144428_340.jpg

IMG_20140107_200123_764.jpg

IMG_20140108_152855_190.jpg

After my trip to HF today for Casters and more Mig Wire here's the total

$1500
$50 Expendables/casters
$1550 Total

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looks like a nice bender and also it looks like you do the same thing i do and tape out the project on the floor.
It's the first time I've tried taping it out but it just gave me a better idea for dimension, should make the initial lay out a little easier.

Yeah the bender looks pretty good so far. I have a few concerns up front though;

The biggest concern is that the block that tightens to lock in the tube has to be inverted for the larger 6" CLR die. This in turn places all the stress of the bend not on the locating pin but rather the 2 grade 5 bolts that are tapped into the block itself. I'm assuming others have used this setup with the larger die with success so I'm hoping its not that big of a deal....

IMG_20140109_133243_102.jpg

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a little work done yesterday bending up the frame. Bender works awesome! Now it's just a matter of me figuring out the tricks of how to use it the best.

because of the size of the die and the design of the bender, I had to do my bends on a ramp so the tube out the front wouldn't hit the ground.

IMG_20140110_143703_124.jpg

Got the first few pieces tacked together.

IMG_20140110_165143_293.jpg

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Updates... yeah about that.

Uncle Sam gave me a weeks notice for a middle eastern vacation about a month ago. It's actually a good deal and I'm not complaining. Another guy got sick and I'm filling in temporarily until he recovers from a surgery.

Long story short I should be back at it soon and I'll be sure to keep the updates coming.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well it's been a bit since I've done anything. I've been back for awhile but have held off on doing anything for a number of reasons. I'm sure you can sympathize.

Got some bends and tack welds done this weekend, thanks to some help from my wife.

I'm thinking about changing up the engine transmission combo to a 351w / C6 now. I just need to find the right donor vehicle (88-89 Ford Bronco).

bug1.jpg

bug2.jpg

bug3.jpg

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The C6 will be a much better choice. Not a whole lot gain except for taller deck height and weight with the 351W unless you're after a gob of power. Personally I would keep the dainty 302 since every pound counts and inches matter to place susp etc..... Had lots of fun with my NA 302 in an F250 and 35s. Still keeping it for the current build.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts