Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching lots of different portals out there. I am looking to build a Toyota ifs long travel kit with portals to achieve the ground clearance needed that ifs usually is lacking. I have seen hummer portals and could machine a backing plate to make my own upright. Similar to what Jesse Haines did on his rear axle on roxor. Now the problem with those are 2 gears reversing rotation which opens up whole new issue with diff.

Now I see the lasernut buggy has some 74weld mog 404 portals. Very nice but pricey and overkill imo for this project.

There are also portals for UTVs out there but issues I've found with them is running 37inch tires and heavier vehicles along with UTV wheel bolt patterns.

Now I'm here asking for some other options or ideas from you guys on what's out there. I am hopefully able to get a pair of portals for under 1500 or so then get the backing plates machined from there.

So what do you guys suggest I look into? Or options for the items above to address issues i have found in the mog and hummer portals.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
H1 portal boxes can be picked up on Ebay for $200-$500 ea. if you watch for them. I was able to get all 4 of mine for a grand shipped from Utah off ebay.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
H1 portal boxes can be picked up on Ebay for $200-$500 ea. if you watch for them. I was able to get all 4 of mine for a grand shipped from Utah off ebay.
This. In the USA your aren't going to find a more economical portal than an H1 box.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
are you planning on running them in the rear?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just planning up front and appears I'm gonna go with a 9inch diff flipped and get 2.93ish ratio to match 5.67 in rear or close to it

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And this is for a long travel prerunner truck. Not strictly rock crawler. That is why I'm looking for lift spindle type setup to increase clearance at full bump along with tire to fender clearance.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
And this is for a long travel prerunner truck. Not strictly rock crawler. That is why I'm looking for lift spindle type setup to increase clearance at full bump along with tire to fender clearance.
i was just clarifying since you mentioned the 2 gears in passing. you could always overdrive the front output to cancel the rotation and gear reduction at the portals. hell just just wedge a portal in next to the trans

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was just clarifying since you mentioned the 2 gears in passing. you could always overdrive the front output to cancel the rotation and gear reduction at the portals. hell just just wedge a portal in next to the trans
That is a great idea. Use portal backwards to reverse and overdrive driveline to counter the portals. I have access to mill lathe and cnc machine wonder if I could make this happen.

Also if anyone knows of a set of 2 or 4 portals available for a grand or so please let me know I have cash in hand.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would running a portal to reverse driveline double the load and rpm of the front diff making it essentially weaker than stock.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Would running a portal to reverse driveline double the load and rpm of the front diff making it essentially weaker than stock.
H1 portals are 1.8:1 irrc. So in order to "undo" the gear reduction at the wheel, you'd have to overdrive the pinion 1.8:1, which seems like a bad idea, not to mention the weight and complexity.

Running 9" front and rear would make it relatively easy to match your ratios front to back like you mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Truck already has a 9inch rear so would do similar in front or possibly smaller Ford 8inch diff for packaging.

I've read hummer portals are 1.8, 1.92, 1.96 Anyone know for sure what they are? I will confirm anyways once i buy a set

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I think since hummers are ifs to begin with, that's an easy choice. Use some kind of flipped toy/9" third to fix the rotation issue.... have the cheapest version IFS/IRS with fairly off the shelf parts....

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Truck already has a 9inch rear so would do similar in front or possibly smaller Ford 8inch diff for packaging.

I've read hummer portals are 1.8, 1.92, 1.96 Anyone know for sure what they are? I will confirm anyways once i buy a set
Mine are 1.92 and as far as I know that is the only ratio

Isn’t that just an H1 portal with custom steering arm?
yes

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,172 Posts
Hummer portals are getting ridiculously hard to find. I should have built a axle using them when they were only $1200 a pair. Not $1200 each like they are now.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hummer portals are getting ridiculously hard to find. I should have built a axle using them when they were only $1200 a pair. Not $1200 each like they are now.
Trailworthy just had a lot of them they were selling for 200$ each. I called and bought 8 and the sales dude said some one from Australia had just bought all the 12ks they had.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts