Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
You probably don't know the principal behind my chassis. The idea is that you bolt everything from a XJ/ZJ/TJ into it and it makes a budget friendly, very small lightweight buggy. With the stock 61" wide axles, 35's and a 102" wheelbase, it's scaled down.

I don't understand why you'd need to switch the dana 30 to a 10bolt. These buggies already make dana 30's live with 35's and 37's without the reduction of portals and with the heavier/more powerful 4.0.

My whole goal with portals and the dana 30 was to prove they would live under hardcore use with big tires. Even though I've proven several times you don't need big tires for hardcore wheeling.

I definitely understand that I build unconventional stuff that most people think won't work.

For reference this is a Tomahawk on stock axles and 37's. There is plenty of room in the design to shove the axle up into the chassis a few more inches.

Cool rigs!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Portal Volvo Axles

Land Cruiser on Volvo TGB 303. 4x4 Axles PSC, 5 Beadloc’s 5 Stock Wheels When Had 39.5 had 18” under F & R Pumpkins Air Lockers And Pump Portal Axles

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
i was just clarifying since you mentioned the 2 gears in passing. you could always overdrive the front output to cancel the rotation and gear reduction at the portals. hell just just wedge a portal in next to the trans
Has anybody done this? It seems to me you would be running all the power/torque for two wheels through one portal box.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
My solution would be a decent oil slinger setup on the front with 3.07 or 3.21 (if you went JK) gears. Then just run one of my heavy shaved dana 44's or 60's and some 5.89 or 6.17 gears for the rear. With the 2.5 and 37's I think letting 'er scream at 3500rpm down the highway would work out best anyway. :laughing:
I'm gonna add that shave to the "list of shit I probably won't get around to doing before I swap the D80 into my truck"

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Any leads on a set of hummer portals? Still interested in a set for an off the wall project.

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
FWIW - Do you really need portals? The newer toy IFS with the right LCAs has gobs of ground clearance. IMO it really needs a rear portal axle, not as much of a need in the front. My next generation of my crawler is probably going to use Toyota IFS and IRS in a very similar configuration to Mike's Tacoma and ditch the solid axles and then use a hydraulic KDSS type sway bar set to do my best to match the articulation of solid axles.

It is a surprise that there aren't more options for portal boxes that aren't $$$. They're not particularly complicated. And there's half a dozen versions for the UTV market. They run $3000 for a set of 4. Not sure why we're not seeing an upsize version. The cost to manufacture larger ones isn't that much.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Custom cut gears are $$$. I think gears in the size range we need just aren't very common and tend to be one offs.

I had thought about using some quick change rearend gearsets to make portals. They seem pretty cheap and plenty of potential gear ratios. No idea if they'd handle the torque though.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
It is a surprise that there aren't more options for portal boxes that aren't $$$. They're not particularly complicated. And there's half a dozen versions for the UTV market. They run $3000 for a set of 4. Not sure why we're not seeing an upsize version. The cost to manufacture larger ones isn't that much.
Im not going to claim to be an expert but I have "custom" portal gears in my portal boxes. The idea is "simple" but the design and manufacturing of portals is not cheap at all. It has a lot to do with the materials, treating processes, and end goal of what you're trying to achieve. If I recall there are only 2 or 3 manufactures capable of cutting gears like this to the needed tolerances in the USA. This increases costs and timelines..........

Sure sxs ones are cheap but won't hold up to 500+ horsepower, I would guess the sxs stuff is weaker then unimog or hummer stuff. The hummer and unimog stuff will last in any rock crawling application without huge upgrades from what iv seen. Guys are upgrading to 300m cvs axles etc but its for reliability in competition, how many are actually breaking them? Why would someone go to the trouble of making something weaker and custom then a already produced OEM application?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I had thought about using some quick change rearend gearsets to make portals. They seem pretty cheap and plenty of potential gear ratios. No idea if they'd handle the torque though.

I've also wondered about using quick change gears in custom portal boxes. SCS uses them in their variable ratio straight drive T-cases and they seem to have no problem holding up in 1500+ HP aplications in monster and mega trucks, I bet they could survive in a dedicated crawler. Might even be able to make them survive in road and desert applications if you could get the lubrication stuff sorted.

I'm betting it would work. Sombody needs to 3D model a box that will accept quick change gears and get a set built and tested. If it works, and is even remotely affordable they will make bank.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
The hummer and unimog stuff will last in any rock crawling application without huge upgrades from what iv seen. Guys are upgrading to 300m cvs axles etc but its for reliability in competition, how many are actually breaking them? Why would someone go to the trouble of making something weaker and custom then a already produced OEM application?

The problem with this is that mog and hummer boxes are getting harder and harder to find and when you do, the price is usually to high to justify, especially seeing as how they are not just a bolt/weld on item in most cases.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
FWIW - Do you really need portals? The newer toy IFS with the right LCAs has gobs of ground clearance. IMO it really needs a rear portal axle, not as much of a need in the front. My next generation of my crawler is probably going to use Toyota IFS and IRS in a very similar configuration to Mike's Tacoma and ditch the solid axles and then use a hydraulic KDSS type sway bar set to do my best to match the articulation of solid axles.

The problem I see with Mike's setup is the CV angles. At ride height they are pretty steep, at full droop it borders scary, especially on the wheel side when turning.

If I'm thinking about this correctly, 65chevy4x4 would use the portals for better CV angles at ride height and that would gain him a TON more droop vs Big Mike's and others long travel kits without the crazy CV angles. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I've also wondered about using quick change gears in custom portal boxes. SCS uses them in their variable ratio straight drive T-cases and they seem to have no problem holding up in 1500+ HP aplications in monster and mega trucks, I bet they could survive in a dedicated crawler. Might even be able to make them survive in road and desert applications if you could get the lubrication stuff sorted.
Torque is what kills gears. The SCS box's see max of 3.21-1? 1st gear in a T400 plus whatever the TC multiplier is. Now X that by 3 or 4-1 for the rear end gears. So say the QC gears are good for 1000FTLB's. Divide by say 3 for the rear end,then divide that buy what ever the T-case is and then divide by the first gear and you get the motor torque number. It's gonna be pretty low. Hummer gears are considerably larger.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts