Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay well im 18, i don't get paid enough for the work I do (7.25) but it's money right? well with school and all i hardly get enough hours to enjoy myself and I have some things I plan to sell on ebay to get my bronco higher up in the air with some flex.

So far I plan to get some bc 5.5 coils, then I was thinking of using f-150 leafs on the rear. I also thought about fabbing up my own spring rockers like on http://www.bcbroncos.com :

these give you about 2 inches of lift.. i played with the idea of possibly making that more like 2.5-3. am i asking for danger or is this okay?

i was also wondering how much lift is achieved by flipping the shackles. maybe i'll just go with 3.5 inch springs and a 2 inch body... any ideas guys?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Cheap Bronco lift

Dude,
You picked the wrong rig for cheap!
Rear shackle filp is min 5'' lift ,but where you locate the new hanger and shackle length can put you at 8'' plus. In the front you need extended radius arms to have good travel with 5.5'' coils . I'd try 5.5 coils, drop your rear radius arm bracket 3'', flip the rear leafs ( when you do this raise the front mount so it's even with bottom of your frame ). If your careful and can reuse/ modify all your stock brackets it would be pretty cheap lift for a bronco. Don't forget to get a track bar drop bracket and drop pitman arm.
Good Luck:p

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know about the arms =p i'll come up with my own... thanks for the info man it's greatly appreciated gave me somethign to think about :)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Shackle flip and a wristed arm is the way to go. Forget about the spring shackles, I've heard almost nothing but bad about their road manners and flex isn't everyting. Forget the dropped pitman arm. Raise your track bar mount on the axle to compensate for steering. Also, go knuckle over which will help flatten things out.

Throw an NP435 in there and you're ready to go!

-Jack

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Very true! 2" body lift is good as you don't have to really change anything (as in buy) to compensate for the height difference. Besides it keeps your center of gravity down. You may consider a 2" body and 3.5" suspension lift as it will clear most tires if you trim some sheet metal.

-Jack

·
Registered
182 Posts
BC 5.5 coils are a good start. You could go 3.5" leafs with some BC rockers or do the BNT leaf spring swap like Flatty. I'm gonna go 5.5" BC coils and 4.5" National leafs. I've got the coils, shocks, shock mounts, and 37" SSR's sitting in my garage. I'm just waiting for the leafs and Spring Break when I can work on the bronc. I guess that doesn't really count as cheap, so just get some used stuff until you can save up for the good stuff.

BTW, are you the guy with the 347 that blew up? What did you decide to do...get a 351W or what? Did you move back to San Diego?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heh yeah that's me, i rebuilt it myself this time. costed me 800 for the machine work and new pistons, got the block for free (i cracked the old one), then there's rings and all that etc... and yeah i moved back to san diego right away couldn't stand it in seattle.

i really appreciate all the help. right now im thinking 3.5 with 2 inches body.. but if i do the spring rockers in the rear, the 3.5 coils up front, with the 2 inches body.. will that be fine? or will my front end be significantly higher?

·
Registered
182 Posts
sandkimo said:
will my front end be significantly higher?
I think it will be even and that's how I like mine. I got 4.5 leafs to match my 5.5" coils so that the front wouldn't tilt down so much. It just depends on your preferences. That combo should work fine and would be cheap because you could re-use your factory leaf springs. With the body lift and trimming you could clear 37's or easily clear 35's with a little more room for flex.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
you have a ton of options for cheap I would suggest maybe a 3.5" coil, shackle flip in the back change your shock, mounts raise your track bar mount on the housing or drop bracket, 2" body lift, extended or wristed arm ( I like wristed better). Don't forget drivelines and brake lines. I had a shackle flip on the back for about 2-3 years or so and it worked fine, it was soft and I bent a set of springs (after about a year) but you can find them for free if you look. As far as lift from a shackle you get half the distance between the holes so if you have a 2" shackle you get 1" of lift so the stock shackle is about 4" so you would need a 3" shackle (around that I don't remember for sure so get a tape). I think I spent around $300 for shocks and everything to do mine and I cleared 36's with a 1.5" body lift.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
My husband made those for his Bronco and I have a set of 4 1/2" coils I sell you we went to 6" Good Luck and nothing is cheap on Bronco unless you do it yourself. Radius Arm wristed $24.00 if you do it yourself

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
and rear leaf spring hinge drops down and when done wheelin replace the bolt. $50 material.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi Sherri, been a while since I saw you guys last year at Cal Rocs when Paul was spotting for Tom. My cell phone died and took your guys number with it so tell Paul to call me

Kimo the body lift is the cheap way to go and you'll do one eventually any way. Then buy Sheri's coils, they are 200lb Coil Spring Specialties that will give you a true 4.5" lift. I have the same ones and they are sweet, indexed to the cups perfectly and flex like mad. The stock leafs will actually flex pretty good so put some blocks in back and build yourself a traction bar until you can afford the real deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts