Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up a couple of weeks ago in barter for labor. Thankfully it's goal is onpaper street legality, because i am going to be hacking the body to pieces.
I have about a 2000$ budget so I am sticking to maintenance and wheels/tires this round. Relocate the battery and radiator to the rear and do some light tube work.
As i received it.

Here is a after a couple hrs and some rust removal/investigation.

I want to keep the overall height but improve wheel travel in the future but its bushings and bearings for now.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I kinda want to modify the frame here in stead of change the suspension here. I want to stick to the same size tire but something will have to happen.

·
Registered
773 Posts
What's your plan? Sas, long travel ifs, z'ing the frame?

Unless you're planning to remove the hood and front fenders or sas, relocating the radiator to the rear isn't really needed. The stock ifs mounts are in front of the rad.

Heres how i cut and tubed mine at first. Could have ran 34-35s with a wb stretch in front and more gearing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really want to lower the seat. I hate how high up it feels. Im going to be lowering or removing the hood so i can increase visibilty. My main reason to move the rad is to help visibility too. At least thats what i tell myself. Really i just always wanted to.
I like the idea of the grand prix struts. Im a pontiac guy at heart. I have something different lined up for the front however. We'll see. I am heading back to Neb today with my welder and a lot of other tools i have been missing so Im hoping to make a lot of progress this week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I'm back from CO. I got to stripping out the interior. Which resulted in a stabbing session... i stab to find rust. I found some. I didnt really have any shame in cutting before but its nice to know i'm not messing up anything good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Little update. Pulled the other door and fender. Pulled out the dash and cleaned up the wires. Managed to separate the gauge cluster nicely so I can seal up the factory housing. Pulled the insulation off the firewall and found the last of the body rust, I think. It's pretty nasty but I ain't giving up. My brother was intown and helped out with my dome light situation. I have a long string of these sealed 3-pack LEDs out of some store signage. He threw a handful up at the... roof support thingy. I don't know what to call it.
Anyway heres a few pictures.

I was going upload some pictures but I can't seem to find the attachments button, or any album anything in my userCP... I must be tired. I'll try again later i guess

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Little update. Pulled the other door and fender. Pulled out the dash and cleaned up the wires. Managed to separate the gauge cluster nicely so I can seal up the factory housing. Pulled the insulation off the firewall and found the last of the body rust, I think. It's pretty nasty but I ain't giving up. My brother was intown and helped out with my dome light situation. I have a long string of these sealed 3-pack LEDs out of some store signage. He threw a handful up at the... roof support thingy. I don't know what to call it.
Anyway heres a few pictures.

I was going upload some pictures but I can't seem to find the attachments button, or any album anything in my userCP... I must be tired. I'll try again later i guess
Yay tapatalk
https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58e1b88e0c22a/kick1.jpg?

·
Suzuki/Toyota Parts
610 Posts
Looks like a fun project!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pulled the fuel tank. Wanna put it behind the seat. The fuel lines are rusty as hell, and expensive... so into the electrolysis bucket. So easy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the floor out of the rear. Wasn't that much cutting to be honest. Lotsa rust. Next its time to improve the welding cart situation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wasn't sure what to do here. My teacher kinda pissed me off today so i took it out on the suzuki...

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Looking at the rate in which you're cutting the sheetmetal (rightfully so, BTW) due to rust I would strongly encourage you to heavily scrutinize your body mounts situation.

A. Look how bad ( I predict: bad) the mounts themselves are.
B. Look how much and where the surrounding sheetmetal exists.

For example:the left rear body mount seems to be completely useless just hanging there by a thread of rust...

You got some re-enforcing (rebuilding) to do probably on all of them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Looking at the rate in which you're cutting the sheetmetal (rightfully so, BTW) due to rust I would strongly encourage you to heavily scrutinize your body mounts situation.

A. Look how bad ( I predict: bad) the mounts themselves are.
B. Look how much and where the surrounding sheetmetal exists.

For example:the left rear body mount seems to be completely useless just hanging there by a thread of rust...

You got some re-enforcing (rebuilding) to do probably on all of them.
X2 on that, looking at the pictures, I predict all body mounts will be between bad and really really bad

OR you could do a tube buggy and keep just the hood, fenders, windshield frame etc for the look ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am planning a lot of tube work for sure. The body will have only a few jobs. Mainly holding pedals and the dash. I'll be ordering my bender next week and hopefully have my notcher built when it shows up. I'm looking at the JD2 model 3.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, picture dump, parts came in. Got the calipers ready for rebuild and starting on some dinghy-sides

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like to see another fellow rust dweller! I am replacing my entire floor with mine, all of the mounts are completely gone on mine so you should feel blessed! What size tires are those?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts