Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for opinions...I am looking at retiring my old 7.3 IDI with half a million miles on it. There are 2 trucks in my area both listed at around $3k, one is a 95 f350 7.3PSD, 2wd, reg cab, dually, flatdeck, 100k miles. The other truck is a 99 f250 ECSB, 4x4, automatic with the v10, 140k miles. I tow 6k-10k maybe 15-20 times a year through the mountains. The IDI struggled over the passes but is reliable as an anvil, but her days are numbered. I'm looking to spoil myself with something more modern....:laughing: I have a ram 1500 and a couple jeeps for daily duties, I just need a reliable workhorse.

Thanks fuckies!!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
If they're clean, buy them both and sell off the OBS 'stroke on Ebay or similar to some nut-swinger for profit. End up with a potentially free V10 truck.
Travis..

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I like those trucks, but I don't like either engine.

For gas, I would go Dodge or Chevy; 5.7L or bigger. I'm seeing good buys on early 6.0L silverados.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I don't know how people own 2wd trucks, the only exception is service beds with a lot of weight over the rear tires.

I use 4wd all the time on my truck and my work truck. Usually it's something as dumb as backing up a gravel drive way, but not having the option of 4wd would be a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I have nothing against the E4od. That's honestly a stout ol' tranny.

I would prefer a later model with the 5r110. But give me a $3k 4x4 v10 with the E4od and I won't sweat it one bit.
It would be a 4r100, but ya, they are both pretty decent actually.

I know of quite a few that made it over 250k behind 7.3s

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
I don't know how people own 2wd trucks, the only exception is service beds with a lot of weight over the rear tires.

I use 4wd all the time on my truck and my work truck. Usually it's something as dumb as backing up a gravel drive way, but not having the option of 4wd would be a pain in the ass.
My only 2wd has mud tires and a rear limited slip that seems to always pull both tires. I have all the parts to make it a 4x4. But honestly, after putting the Kenda Klever MT's on it, it has always dug itself out. Before though, it got stuck all the time.

I agree though. We'll never buy a 2wd tow rig again.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
My only 2wd has mud tires and a rear limited slip that seems to always pull both tires. I have all the parts to make it a 4x4. But honestly, after putting the Kenda Klever MT's on it, it has always dug itself out. Before though, it got stuck all the time.

I agree though. We'll never buy a 2wd tow rig again.
I have an lsd and new a/t's. Backing up a hill with an empty bed and 300" wb, I don't think even thornbirds would help.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
I have an lsd and new a/t's. Backing up a hill with an empty bed and 300" wb, I don't think even thornbirds would help.
We had AT's before and it didn't work very well.

I actually had to back our bumper pull horse trailer up a friends very steep dirt driveway about two weeks ago. It's probably 5500lbs empty? I was shocked I didn't break traction. I was definitely giving it my best finesse, staying steady on the throttle and keeping it moving.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
if youre wanting something more modern than get the 99, the 95 isnt much more modern than the IDI
Agreed there..

I’d vote 7.3 over v10 any day of the week. If you’re talking 7.3 manual vs V10 auto, most definitely 7.3 then. It’s going to have more torque and get 5mpg better. I’ve personally never seen an auto v10 do better than 12mpg. I have two manual 7.3’s in the driveway, they get 16-18mpg and 17-19mpg. (96 5 speed, 00 6 speed, both have 300k+ miles.)

Add up the fuel savings in one oil change interval and the truck has paid for itself.
Not to mention a few hundred for a good tuner and you can add a bunch of power. Spend a little more on fuel system upgrades and there’s no comparison.

After owning a diesel I decided i’d be insane to ever buy another full-size gasser, That’s just my two cents though.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I went from a healthy IDIT 5spd 4.10 truck to a v10/auto 4.30 excursion.....I only miss the turbo sound.....

I can do a lot of repairs till i get to the $$ of fixing a diesel motor. So my vote is gas every time unless you tow A LOT.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I own an IDI and a 2000 7.3L 6 speed, so I am not biased. I would go for the V10 between those options.

I personally would never own a two wheel drive truck since they are such helpless pig with all the weight on the front. I watched my grandfather's 2wd '99 PSD literally get stuck on flat ground when he went to move it after a 5 minute down pour.

The '99+ trucks are also pretty much better than the '80-'97 trucks in every way (suspension, brakes, frame stiffness, etc.) That V10 will easily out pull a 1st gen Powerstroke (stock for stock of course) despite what the diesel fan boys will tell you. The 4R100 could use a few more gears, but it gets the job done. Personally I would take a ZF S5-47 over a 4R100, but it is not enough to make up for the other advatages of the Super Duty. Personally I don't like duallies, and for the weight you are pulling, you certainly don't need one.

Some words of caution though, that is the worst year of V10 to buy since it is the 1-year-only non-PI V10 (appreciably lower power than the PI 2V V10s from 2000-2004) and is one of the early mod motors that have a reputation for spitting out spark plugs. The '02-'04 V10s don't have the spark plug issues and are PI engines.

On the other hand, the 1st gen PSD is the worst Ford diesel for easy power in case you are considering modifying it a bit. 260RWHP is pretty much the limit with just an intake, tune, and exhaust vs. 300-320RWHP for a Super Duty 7.3L with the same mods.

Unless you will be putting on a lot of miles in a short amount of time, the V10 will probably be cheaper to operate. Sure the diesel should get significantly better mileage, but the additional cost of diesel negates much of that. The diesel will be more expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
Agreed there..

I’d vote 7.3 over v10 any day of the week. If you’re talking 7.3 manual vs V10 auto, most definitely 7.3 then. It’s going to have more torque and get 5mpg better. I’ve personally never seen an auto v10 do better than 12mpg. I have two manual 7.3’s in the driveway, they get 16-18mpg and 17-19mpg. (96 5 speed, 00 6 speed, both have 300k+ miles.)

Add up the fuel savings in one oil change interval and the truck has paid for itself.
Not to mention a few hundred for a good tuner and you can add a bunch of power. Spend a little more on fuel system upgrades and there’s no comparison.

After owning a diesel I decided i’d be insane to ever buy another full-size gasser, That’s just my two cents though.
there's also no comparison in repair costs and time.
which will easily eat up any fuel savings.

These are not brand new trucks, they will need parts and repair, and the v10 is easier and cheaper to repair.

if it's not a DD, doing DD things, fuel mileage is not the primary concern.
starting everytime you need it and working without bullshit HPOP, turbo or pedestal leaks is.

v10 for me.
I want no part of an older diesel truck that needs all the shit replaced, and fuck anything modern with emissions controls.
I'd swap coils and helicoil plug holes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts