Pirate 4x4 banner

Budget Tow rigs 7.3PSD vs. v10

3K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  mbryson 
#1 ·
I am looking for opinions...I am looking at retiring my old 7.3 IDI with half a million miles on it. There are 2 trucks in my area both listed at around $3k, one is a 95 f350 7.3PSD, 2wd, reg cab, dually, flatdeck, 100k miles. The other truck is a 99 f250 ECSB, 4x4, automatic with the v10, 140k miles. I tow 6k-10k maybe 15-20 times a year through the mountains. The IDI struggled over the passes but is reliable as an anvil, but her days are numbered. I'm looking to spoil myself with something more modern....:laughing: I have a ram 1500 and a couple jeeps for daily duties, I just need a reliable workhorse.

Thanks fuckies!!:flipoff2:

#9 ·
I don't know how people own 2wd trucks, the only exception is service beds with a lot of weight over the rear tires.

I use 4wd all the time on my truck and my work truck. Usually it's something as dumb as backing up a gravel drive way, but not having the option of 4wd would be a pain in the ass.

#12 ·
My only 2wd has mud tires and a rear limited slip that seems to always pull both tires. I have all the parts to make it a 4x4. But honestly, after putting the Kenda Klever MT's on it, it has always dug itself out. Before though, it got stuck all the time.

I agree though. We'll never buy a 2wd tow rig again.

#17 ·
Agreed there..

I’d vote 7.3 over v10 any day of the week. If you’re talking 7.3 manual vs V10 auto, most definitely 7.3 then. It’s going to have more torque and get 5mpg better. I’ve personally never seen an auto v10 do better than 12mpg. I have two manual 7.3’s in the driveway, they get 16-18mpg and 17-19mpg. (96 5 speed, 00 6 speed, both have 300k+ miles.)

Add up the fuel savings in one oil change interval and the truck has paid for itself.
Not to mention a few hundred for a good tuner and you can add a bunch of power. Spend a little more on fuel system upgrades and there’s no comparison.

After owning a diesel I decided i’d be insane to ever buy another full-size gasser, That’s just my two cents though.

#18 ·
I went from a healthy IDIT 5spd 4.10 truck to a v10/auto 4.30 excursion.....I only miss the turbo sound.....

I can do a lot of repairs till i get to the $$ of fixing a diesel motor. So my vote is gas every time unless you tow A LOT.

#19 ·
I own an IDI and a 2000 7.3L 6 speed, so I am not biased. I would go for the V10 between those options.

I personally would never own a two wheel drive truck since they are such helpless pig with all the weight on the front. I watched my grandfather's 2wd '99 PSD literally get stuck on flat ground when he went to move it after a 5 minute down pour.

The '99+ trucks are also pretty much better than the '80-'97 trucks in every way (suspension, brakes, frame stiffness, etc.) That V10 will easily out pull a 1st gen Powerstroke (stock for stock of course) despite what the diesel fan boys will tell you. The 4R100 could use a few more gears, but it gets the job done. Personally I would take a ZF S5-47 over a 4R100, but it is not enough to make up for the other advatages of the Super Duty. Personally I don't like duallies, and for the weight you are pulling, you certainly don't need one.

Some words of caution though, that is the worst year of V10 to buy since it is the 1-year-only non-PI V10 (appreciably lower power than the PI 2V V10s from 2000-2004) and is one of the early mod motors that have a reputation for spitting out spark plugs. The '02-'04 V10s don't have the spark plug issues and are PI engines.

On the other hand, the 1st gen PSD is the worst Ford diesel for easy power in case you are considering modifying it a bit. 260RWHP is pretty much the limit with just an intake, tune, and exhaust vs. 300-320RWHP for a Super Duty 7.3L with the same mods.

Unless you will be putting on a lot of miles in a short amount of time, the V10 will probably be cheaper to operate. Sure the diesel should get significantly better mileage, but the additional cost of diesel negates much of that. The diesel will be more expensive to maintain.

#21 ·
Like the other guys said, I wouldn't own a 2wd tow rig, especially a 2wd dually. They are fine for the street, but if you leave pavement they suck. Again, buy them both and sell the stroke to a fan boy. With low miles and a manual it will sell quick and high if it's relatively clean. You could even wait on the other truck if you wanted, and then use the proceeds to get a better truck than the one you were looking at afterward. You're the one who has to live with your choice though.
Travis..

#22 ·
My wheeling buddy has a stock V10 truck, and it seems to pull pretty good.
Granted his trailer and rig weigh a bit less than mine, but he hangs with me on wheeling trips thru the hills (I'm in an 02 7.3 6 speed, he's a 00 V10 6 speed)
I stop less for fuel, it seems his is always in the 9's and I'm closer to 11 towing.
The Duty is a lot more truck than a 95 era Ford, but what you're doing wouldn't be asking too much of one of those trucks at all.

For your purposes, my vote is for the V10.
I've got an IDI, a 95 7.3, and an 02 7.3 (all 4wd that I've needed :D) but I could honestly survive with a gas truck.
I tow about 9,000 miles a year.

#23 ·
towing 6-10k max twice a month.

reg cab, 2wd, flat bed, dually. '95 hell no, i dont care what motor it has

extra cab, 4x4, '99 superduty i would take this even with a 5.4l and 200k miles, over the other truck.

superduty is an obvious choice. maybe if the '95 was single rear tire, 4x4, and had at least an extendcab, would i consider it.

for referance, i daily drive a '98 econline350 PSD 'the work rig'. also have (soon to be sold)'12 f350 2wd eclb 6.2gas flatbed srw and a (just picked up, kids needed a bigger cab, wanted 4x, but the locker in 2wd truck was fine) '10 f350 4x cc flatbed 5.4gas srw, wife's burban backup if she needs 4x family hauler camp rig. just made a 1500mi trip each way in this with truck camper and 20' trailer with toys. NW Wa to glamis. foot to the floor 8mpg and loved it.

#25 ·
I found an 02, ex cab, v10, 4x4 with a 6 speed. 190k miles so getting up there. It’s an hour away so going up on Saturday. I’ve dealt with the 4 speed auto in my IDI for years and was hoping for a change. I drove a 6.0 for a while with the 5 speed auto and thought it was a pretty sweet trans, but 05 and newer gas super duties seem to fetch a premium in my parts. I’ve lived the 6.0 powerstroke life already pretty much unscathed, I don’t think I should press my luck with a 5.4....

#32 ·
V10 6 speed is an animal, even a 2v one. I drove one quite a bit when working for the Forest Service. I have a '06 with a 3V V10 and 5 speed auto now and I swear the 2V/6 speed would out pull the 3V/Auto. The 3V rips dont get me wrong, but the 6 speed truck just felt awesome. Both had 4.30 gears, which I recommend.

#27 ·
I love my 2wd 6spd diesel truck. 20mpg and drives/corners/rides better than my 4wd. Perfect for burning up the interstate, but it gets stuck in wet grass.

I'm debating on turning it into a DRW just so I have a reason to use it more.

#31 ·
I'm debating on turning it into a DRW just so it gets stuck more.
fixed
Not many mountains your guy's way?

I'm. Not kidding, I need 4wd almost every time i move my truck around the yard, 100% if I have a trailer. Welded diff wouldn't help, it spins both tires backing up in the gravel.

Obviously there are a lot of people out there with 2wd trucks that work for them. I'd either fill the back with sand bags, or sell it. :flipoff2:
it only takes a few times getting stuck before you realize that you need to keep the drive wheels downhill, even if it makes unloading a pain in the dick

#33 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.