Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wrote up this big ole post then closed it before i hit send so here we go agian :homer:

Trying to work out my exhaust 5.3 pass drop axle.

Seen a few do the pass header up and over the trans and then connect to the driver and go down the chassis. Like this

That was my original plan. Im just not too sure about all the heat going right by my feet. Maybe a heat shield between my exhaust and aluminum floor?

Then i saw this from sniper fab

Ive only ever seen LS motors with a Y pipe or an x/h pipe. IS there a reason i cant do it this way and make it way easier to package? I have simular room under my rockers for my mufflers just like this.

Or does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Run dual through the rockers, or run a car intake and build up swept headers like a bomber. I've only seen a couple buggies with exhaust run over the bellhousing, all had heat issues and what you pictured is very restrictive. These engines need to breathe.

·
Registered
780 Posts
All an "x", "y" or "h" pipe does is tie both sides of the engine together. It helps in scavenging the exhaust flow. Scavenging is when the flow of the last cylinder exhaust flow helps remove the next in the series and so on. This does help make more power because the left an right bank can work together. The power loss of no crossover pipe is minimal if I had to guess I'd say 3-5%. A crossover pipe also smooths the exhaust tone and will reduce noise 1-2 decibels.

·
Registered
15,368 Posts
just an idea but you could maybe do a mix of both setups

do the dual exhaust but make a cross over pipe over the trans, only make it out of 1.5" ish pipe as it doesnt need to be full size imo

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this is good info. Saves me a ton of work and headache. Now I just need to look around and find what mufflers to run.

Rockyota I like your crossover idea. Wouldn't be that hard to toss a crossover in there. I'm just not sure how much of a difference that would make though with the distance between the banks. Would probably be 2ft apart. But it couldnt hurt.

·
Registered
15,368 Posts
Well this is good info. Saves me a ton of work and headache. Now I just need to look around and find what mufflers to run.

Rockyota I like your crossover idea. Wouldn't be that hard to toss a crossover in there. I'm just not sure how much of a difference that would make though with the distance between the banks. Would probably be 2ft apart. But it couldnt hurt.

honestly i couldnt say what if any difference it would make as im not experienced with exhaust systems and engine performance, it was merely an idea stemmed from observing the pics and the discussion.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
IMHO the best bang for your $ and space will be the dynomax race bullet. Super compact, and are produced in a multitude of lengths and diameters. But it'll be a loud :mr-t:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMHO the best bang for your $ and space will be the dynomax race bullet. Super compact, and are produced in a multitude of lengths and diameters. But it'll be a loud :mr-t:
I was looking at those race bullets. Price seemed pretty good and the size is killer.

How loud are we talking? I'm coming from a 4cyl so I'll be happy to hear some v8 whooopow. I guess if it's too loud I can route the exhaust out the back of my buggy instead of dumping behind seats.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
I have 14x3 race bullets basically on the collectors of my long tube headers, with turn downs at the back of the subframe. It's loud but not open headers loud. Some tailpipes would quiet it up decently.

·
Rock Stacker
1,497 Posts
Here's what I found out.
Chambered mufflers are too loud.
Fiberglass filled or high temp filled really takes the sound down.
The more filler the more sound absorption.
Offset inlet and outlet force sound into side of core as it bends absorbing sound.
Mufflers close to headers can handle the heat if they are good ones. Lots of companies offer collector mufflers that do burn out.
Filled mufflers can insulate heat better than straight pipe near the headers.
Long length exhaust can be more of a hassle and a safety issue than worth the performance gains.
I am now running dual Borla PRO XS 3" offset mufflers mounted right after the log manifolds and about 3 feet of 3 inch tube after the mufflers.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I run a single race bullet on my 5.3, its really not that bad. I do have a pretty long tail pipe (truck frame) which im sure helps some. Idle sounds nice, it only gets louder when you really get on it. Its quieter most of the time than a Jeep 4.0 with a glass pack.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
I had a single Moroso Spiral Flow muffler on my old buggy. It's definitely quieter than the race bullets but it still sounded great. It might not flow enough for a racer but for a trail rig it's perfect. about the size of a race bullet too.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts

Scott, what size exhaust are you running? 2.5" all the way out? I was going to do a y pipe under the oil pan but with the driveshaft stuffed at full bump, on the passenger side it was extremely tight. Just couldn't get it to work. So I'm going to snake it out between the rockers and dump it passed the rear crossmember.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Scott, what size exhaust are you running? 2.5" all the way out? I was going to do a y pipe under the oil pan but with the driveshaft stuffed at full bump, on the passenger side it was extremely tight. Just couldn't get it to work. So I'm going to snake it out between the rockers and dump it passed the rear crossmember.
Yup, 2.5 aluminized all the way back. The stock C6 manifold opens up to 2.5 so I ran with it.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Yup, 2.5 aluminized all the way back. The stock C6 manifold opens up to 2.5 so I ran with it.
Yeah, I couldnt get a y-pipe to work so I switched out my ebay special block huggers to a set of LS3 Camaro manifolds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts