Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some pics of a side view of yoru buggy and the floor to roof dims.

I'm the process of starting to bend tube off a computer designed buggy and i want some real world number other then the ones i got form my old buggy.

Lookign more towards the promod style of buggy;s.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
When I started designing my new chassis I sat a seat up against the wall and sat in it. Then marked where my head was above the seat with my helmet on and added 3". Came up with 41" for clearance needed so I set up my chassis with 41 1/2" from floor to roof. Doing it this way would be better as you may be taller than me.

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
XJ buggy I was helping to build last weekend, has about 46" from floor to the B-pillar.

edit: seats are not mounted at final height, they are just set in the chassis

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
kraqa,

I built my chassis to be 51" from the frame rail to the top of the tube, so 49.25 floor to inside of the roof. This is too tall. The mistake I made was trying to make a more knees bent seating position, rather than knees straight seating position. Combined with my suspesion and tires, it makes about 83 to the top of the chassis, which is about 6" too much. Depending on how I play with my seat brackets, I will have maybe 5" between a helmet and the roof, which is good (i'm 5'10"). But if i lowered the seat mounts to floor level to make the knees straight competition style seating position, i'd have almost a foot or maybe more which is ridiculous. The design of the cage makes it impossible to fix though, and I'm running on the assumption that a few inches higher in roof weight will not have a large enough affect on CG to make it worth change. The knees bent seating position is also very comfortable.

/rambling

Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
49.75" from the floor to the top of my roof.. my seat sits about 4" off the floor at its lowest point and i have about 5" of headroom(i'm 6'1" tall) i am using prp comp highback seats

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will be using the sam eseats and i went with a 46" roof line. but the seats will be pritty close to the floor. Im 6' so it shodul be right abotu great!!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
i measured the same way as snobrder, but my seat sits 4" off the floor so i have 46" flr-roof

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Sceep, how tall are you?

I'm drawing stuff up on SW to try and have a model to go off of and my 6'5" tall ass needs enough head room that the roof looks goofy almost no matter what I do.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
you can help by going for a more reclined seating position, and lowering the seat to the floor, or rotating the seat bottom and seatback (instead of moving just the seatback to recline).

I'm 5'10" and my seats are a good bit off the floor and i still have a ton of headroom with 49". But then again, my buggy does look goofytall.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
Sceep, how tall are you?

I'm drawing stuff up on SW to try and have a model to go off of and my 6'5" tall ass needs enough head room that the roof looks goofy almost no matter what I do.
6' flat, bottom of the seat is roughly 5" off the floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
back to the top for some more measurements

I'm starting my buggy build and I'm worried about overall hieght only thing driving that is seat height

Corbeau baja seat on concrete floor flat - 40" to top of head
raise front 4" for a comfortable recline - 38"
raise front 8-10" for crazy unsafe for your neck recline - 37"

seats need to be on top of the tcase - tcase = 9" tall
belly height at axle centerline = 20"

so 20 + 9 + 40 + 3(clearance) = 72 which doesn't seem bad but that's without a helmet and I'm only 5'10 seems tall for a buggy with not a lot of head room?

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
what the fuck is belly height at axle centerline? do you have varying belly height?

72 overall is not bad. basically you're saying your floor to roof is 43, which is just a little less or right on part with what the rest of us were saying.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
belly height with the belly being at axle centerline so the drivetrain is that low yet it's still a tall buggy

72 isn't bad, but that's no helmet, 3" clearance and not assuming tubing diameters
43 is no helmet only 3" clearance, not tube dia considered
plus most of these guys don't have the drivetrain all the way down to axle centerline
I'm not tall, 5'10"

alot of what I've seen is 6-10" head clearance with no helmet and under 6' overall

My yota is 22" belly full cab and 72" overall, on 35's with exo but my head rubs the roof and I'm sitting next to the t-cases

1 - 15 of 15 Posts