Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are you guys doing anything in particular to cover or shield your computer from moisture or is it fine just tucked up under the dash?

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
I try to figure it like this.

How far do ya want to be under water? I wouldn't want it to be under water so don't put it under the seat :laughing: but up in the dash or at about knee level tends to be good, and if I'm not mistaken taking an occasional dunk won't kill em.

EDIT.

If you're running the Toyota computer keep a spare in the rig somewhere in a durable water proof case. A few years ago we were coming out of Buck Island and the water was over the computer in my kids rig...Part of the way up the slabs it was running like crud so we checked everything and it turned out the computer was full of water. We pulled it out and pulled the cover off and let it dry in the sun while we ate lunch, rig ran fine after that. Computer was in the factory spot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Put it in a tupperware, silicone the crap out of it where you screw it through the back and call it good. Mine has been totally submerged a few times and never skipped a beat.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Mine is mounted inside an ammo can with my fuse panels. Ammo can is mounted right in front of the driver seat. Has been rained on for years with no problem.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Mines mounted inside my dash. Entire dash top comes off with a few screws and everything is hidden inside it. Its not waterproof but it's not gonna get wet unless it goes swimming.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you are concerned about water, I would coat the circuit board with silicone conformal coating. I use it on my rc trucks, it waterproofs any of the circuitboards, and I do not need to try to seal them up in a enclosure once coated.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
yes, we are almost to final assembly, welding is done and painting should start tonight
Awesome. I have been kicking around getting a rock lizard. I really like the extension you added to the rear of the chassis. Ive seen the other pics on the RL FB page.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts