4bbl 4.1 aluminum intake
4bbl quadrajet
High volume/pressure oil pump
Oil pump booster plate
Mechanical fuel pump
Flowkooler water pump
Full mechanical fan
3 Core radiator v8 radiator

1st. In the mornings until operating temp I have between 40-60lbs of oil pressure. Once it hit's 180' it starts to slowly taper off until it finally rests at 15lbs unless i am below 1500rpm where it will hover around 0-5 :eek:.

2nd. Lately I have had a lifter (I think) that taps, it happens at random; Sometimes it will *tick tick tick tick tick tick* in the morning, sometimes it won't, it will always do it after being driven at op temp and then turned off, and started while still hot (above 150). At times when I am at highway speeds 55-60mph (15lbs pressure) it will start ticking, last for a few minutes and go away or continue to do so until i slow to nearly a stop and speed up again. Randomly it will tick when I idle, other times it won't...

3rd. IF it is a bad lifter, are there any quick fixes short of installing all new lifters? Does it seem strange for a lifter to fail after such short mileage? Motor was stored for 6months or so after rebuild, was run for the 20min break in, oil changed, and the oil was changed another 500miles after initial run in and 500miles after that...

Any help, tips, flip-off's, "you dumb @ss", will be appreciated.

FYI *The motor was already in the truck with all adapters (th350-toy t-case) or else I would have went 4.3

·
Registered
398 Posts
I run the same setup on my rig. Its an 81 T sb, 3.8L evenfire V6, Q-jet, cam, .030, 3 core rad, elec fan only. Oil pressure sounds normal to me. I checked mine using a seperate hand-held gauge tapped into the oil gallery at the side of the block where the oil pressure sender (sensor) is normally placed.

Your oil pressure sounds ok. At idle after a hot run, my oil pressure reads about 3 psi. Over 1000 RPM, the pressure jumps to 34 psi.

BTW, regarding the 3.8 and 4.3 V6's ..... the evenfire normally aspirated Buick V6's produces copious amounts of torque: 235 ft.lb in stock form. Stock being 2 barrel intake, no cam, no exhaust. So, you're running a cam, intake, 4 barrel, and exhaust, you're likely running much more torque than most injected 4.3L V6

·
Registered
398 Posts
Oh ya, one more thing. That ticking noise from your engine, mine developed a similar noise a few years ago, but it turned out to be a loose exhaust manifold. Tightened it and no more noise.

A loose or cracked exhaust manifold can sound exactly like lifter noise .... a stead ticking noise.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Oil cooler.
Mobil 1 10w30 is very thin at higher operating temps, which is why I run the 20w50 in the summer. I have the same troubles and the next item on my agenda is installing one. I am confident this will cure my lifter ticking and scary oil pressure levels. (the thicker oil helped alot already)

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, like I said, I have great oil pressure when its cold :) But as I drive it steadily bleeds off...And though the motor makes horendous ticking noises i never have any performance problems.

I have the timing pushed forward a degree or so, stock manifolds, dual 2.25" exhaust, dual turboflow's, i can bark my 35's in ever gear and offroad with the th350 i can crawl easily for everything i need around here...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts