Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BUICK V6 NO SPARK LIL HELP (still no spark see below)

Hey fellas
As some of you know picked up a 49 all built up and crashed.
The buick v6 is all kinds of parts the manifold exhaust I just replaced and oddly enough it came from a 1998 rodeo it has an hei no spark I have 12.3 v in good ground just replaced the coil cap rotor plugs. I put a meter on one of the plugs while cranking and nada.
This was running when it got hit and sat for about two years.
Any thoughts???? Could it have jumped time being hit. It was hit hard.

So this is where I'm at....
Replaced with new parts.. cap rotor coil module and plugs.
Tests 12.5v in good ground 12.5v center of cap while on ignition.
I install the cap meter the output to one of the plugs at the cap nothing.
Motor is at tdc pointing to #1.
Lil more info rig was hit hard it a crash my only thoughts is the distrubitor got boogered up it turns seems to work just no spark. I have no problem replacing but it was running when crashed sat for near two years.
What would be your next move????
I have done this kind of thing dozens of times in the past 50 years but this is killiing me can't sleep thanx gotta get to work.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Hey fellas
As some of you know picked up a 49 all built up and crashed.
The buick v6 is all kinds of parts the manifold exhaust I just replaced and oddly enough it came from a 1998 rodeo it has an hei no spark I have 12.3 v in good ground just replaced the coil cap rotor plugs. I put a meter on one of the plugs while cranking and nada.
This was running when it got hit and sat for about two years.
Any thoughts???? Could it have jumped time being hit. It was hit hard.
module or capacitor?

Are you sure the HEI has power to the right place on the cap?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks yeah got power to the batt term and after digging around the innerweb came up with the same cap or mod. Being an odd fire anything needed to do while installling or just plug and play???
Thank you.
No really pulling my hair out. Tj yj can build em in my sleep but been a while outside the box.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
If its an odd fire make sure you have the correct cap. It should have two blank terminals.

The timing is a little pickey and make sure you firing order is right.

Post up a few pictures if you can of everything. That might help us spot issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mieser thank you.
Yep cap is good all that's left is the mod and condenser ordered them today if that's not the issue I am at a total loss. Timing is gonna be an other issue as I was unable to find any timing marks at all.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Mieser thank you.
Yep cap is good all that's left is the mod and condenser ordered them today if that's not the issue I am at a total loss. Timing is gonna be an other issue as I was unable to find any timing marks at all.
The only thing left in the distributor is the pickup coil at that point.

There is one timing mark on the crank damper and the timing pointer ( 0-10degree ) is on the timing cover. They are on the drivers side of the engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mieser again thank you.
All the ignition parts will be here tomorrow looked for the marls and pointer. Maybe just dident look hard enough.
Will check in with progress.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
The timing marks should look like this...

If the cover has been broken, sometimes you find ones with later covers and bolt on timing pointers. I think those where from even fire engines. They will not time correctly either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts