Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old v6 (198) used to run at about 180 degrees, I have recently stepped up to a 225 v6 and it wants to idle at about 200 degrees. The only other difference is that on the old moter the temp sender was up front by the water pump and on this new moter I had to put it on the back of the moter ( it actually screws into the back of the intake manifold). So the question is what temp should these run at and what is too hot. I was told that the odd fire engines ran a little hotter then standard ones is this true. If it helps this moter came out of a 69 commando.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 231 wants to run at 190.
How fresh is the 225? My 231 heated up when the head gaskets started leaking.
Your 225 may have a different thermostat than the 196 did.
If all else fails, try changing to a 185 degree thermo.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same thermostat

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
I used to have a '70 CJ5 with the 225V6 and it ran between
190* & 200* with a 180* thermostat in it. It hardly varied from
idle to freeway cruising.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt

·
Registered
22 Posts
Weezer - I have the same problem. When I bought my '70 CJ-5 from a dude in P'ville it would jump right up to 180 and then slowly creep up to 220, but not overheat. I've added a new thermostat and put an electric pusher fan on the front of the radiator because the regular fan has no shroud. It runs a tad cooler - but still stays a bit too hot in my opinion (around 200). Other than a total rebuild and cooking out the scale on the inside of the block, my next steps are a hi-vol water pump, which I've seen in Quadratec, and I suspect I might find cheaper at Walcks or another outlet, and/or a 4-core radiator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts