Pirate 4x4 banner
81 - 100 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sorry for the crappy pics, but its the same color outside today as the FJ is.

Trimming the fender wells out. This is full bump, full steering lock, and the wheel still spins.

Dropped it all down to put some weight on it. Apparently there is a bunch of frame flex, where I have the shocks bumped there is no tire rubbing, and when I set the FJ down the tires wrecked shop on the inner fender wells where I had cut. So, this picture is where the front will be bumped with an actual rubber bumpstop.

Again, bad pic, but you can get an idea as to the height difference in full bump between the front and rear. The rear pulls more travel, but the front bumps higher.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Removed the rockers and put some proper 35" MT/R's on. Not quite as large of sidebiters so they'll allow for the full 14" of travel now and not destroy the wheel well at bump & lock. Pitbulls would have had to been bumped an inch or so lower.

Full bump

Passenger side fender well mocked up.

Driverside

Passenger side bypass reservoir mount

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Great work, DAVE!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Great work, DAVE!
He's not too shabby. I left after getting the seat in and he was working (and cussing) away on the driver side reservoir mount. Unfortunately, Toyota put a whole lot of shit there compared to the passenger side. I'm sure he'll manage to make it as clean looking as the passenger side tho. If all else fails I'm sure that fuse box and wiring really serve no purpose right? :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
Alex has a set of Icon (no logo'd) resi holders I sent him, I don't think Dave used.
I doubt he has need for, nor do I. They're the same, for all intents and purposes, as what you have, structurally speaking.

Offering up on both our behalfs, should you desire.

I hate logos, not sure about your preference.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Cool build, but what can you use it for? Alot of potential body damage for the trail. Seems like a big money pit for sure, try not to roll it..

Looking good.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Cool build, but what can you use it for? Alot of potential body damage for the trail. Seems like a big money pit for sure, try not to roll it..

Looking good.
Seriously? Its obviously going to be used to pick up chicks :smokin:. There are also a few curbs in the neighborhood which have been mocking me as well...I think it will be able to handle them now. :shaking:

Not building a competition vehicle here. It'll be a part time daily driver thats suited enough for most of the trails in the area and will be a blast to drive in the go fast stuff. If you are worried about body damage the fenders can always be removed. No plans to fit down Jeep or ATV trails and if thats your objective a vehicle as bloated as the FJC from the getgo isn't for you.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not building a competition vehicle here. It'll be a part time daily driver thats suited enough for most of the trails in the area and will be a blast to drive in the go fast stuff. If you are worried about body damage the fenders can always be removed. No plans to fit down Jeep or ATV trails and if thats your objective a vehicle as bloated as the FJC from the getgo isn't for you.[/QUOTE]

Well...
I think it is great to build something suited for the trails that you want to do and I think this thing will kick ass in the open desert which to some is more fun than crawling around in the rocks.

Money Pit? Let me tell you.. but people dump thier money into all sorts of things and I'm sure they wont even come close to the pleasure that you and I will get from Driving our FJ's

I have to disagree about an FJ not being for someone who wants to go down
Jeep trails or drive in the rocks , of coarse cosmetics becomes far less important.

Offroaders in general have a way of becoming attached to a particular vehicle and sometimes end up spending alot more to modify that vehicle than
they would have if they started over with something else. That vehicle becomes an extension of who you are and a means of self expression.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well...
I think it is great to build something suited for the trails that you want to do and I think this thing will kick ass in the open desert which to some is more fun than crawling around in the rocks.

Money Pit? Let me tell you.. but people dump thier money into all sorts of things and I'm sure they wont even come close to the pleasure that you and I will get from Driving our FJ's

Jeep trails or drive in the rocks , of coarse cosmetics becomes far less important.

Offroaders in general have a way of becoming attached to a particular vehicle and sometimes end up spending alot more to modify that vehicle than
they would have if they started over with something else. That vehicle becomes an extension of who you are and a means of self expression.
I concur. I think FJLED built an awesome vehicle; built for purposes beyond JUST rock crawling or JUST pre-running and he does not have to tow it across the earth to enjoy it.

Also, it is a hobby. If I did not spend money on my FJC, I would find something else to spend it on for enjoyment. I am sure it is the same case with FJLED.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Sorry - should have clarified that by "jeep trails" I was insinuating trails which are too narrow for an FJC to go down with w/o body damage, since that seemed to be 2hi2c's concern.

Even the JK is a fairly wide vehicle...putting the FJC next to it makes JK look oh so slender. If body damage isn't of concern than width doesn't really make a massive difference other than being more difficult to push through narrower trails. Don't think I said anything about rocks not being in play?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I look at this build like an Ultra4 car, some would say cursed from the beginning, some would say their ideal rig. It's not going to rockcrawl, trail ride, or haul ass in the desert better than a rig designed to excel at any one of those, but it will do all of them very well. I think it'll be fun as hell to drive!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Apologize in advance for the poor photos. Iphone + lighting resulted in poor quality.

Motor mounts are now gusseted

Long tube headers and my attempt to show the need for an O2 sensor wiring extension (wiring that is closest to you in the picture...upper one is a WBO2)

Can see the need for the extension in this photo below. One end of the connector is attached to the top of the tranny/back of engine and you can see the yota O2 sensor at the bottom left of the picture.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Today was miscellaneous wiring so that you can turn the passenger side airbag on when you have a passenger in the seat (OEM seat has sensors located in it). May end up removing the airbags down the line, but for now I'm planning to wire everything so its operational (or at least isn't causing the ECU to throw fits).

On the left (black box) is the Occupant Classification ECU. Wiring that comes off of it hooks up to harness under the seat and passengers seat belt. Wiring on the far right is what comes off the other bung on the OCS and runs to each of the 4 sensors on the passenger side seat. Wiring in the center replaces all the wiring on the right with a switch that allows you to manually turn on and off the passenger airbag. (sorry for the quality - iphone camera wasn't working so well)

You also need to cut the yellow wiring under the seat which is for the OEM seat side airbags. Since the sparco's don't have any side airbags you just need to wire in ~3ohm resistor to complete the circuit and hook it back up to the harness on the floor. The resistors allow the ECU to believe the airbags are still there. Sorry didn't grab any photos of this

Driverside seat installed

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
DMZ Fab provided the motor mount gussets. Not sure if they are doing production runs of the FJC gussets yet, as Tim mocked these up off an FJ that we was repairing motor mounts on and making gussets for. I do believe they have Taco gussets available. There apparently is some variation in the frame/mounts between the FJC and Taco from what he said. Give Tim @ DMZ a call and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to get you setup with what you need.

81 - 100 of 164 Posts