Pirate 4x4 banner

341 - 360 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
Nice productive day social distancing in the garage today.

First thing I tackled was permanently installing to comp cut corner armor to the body. Once those were bolted down tight I went ahead and installed the rear lights.

Yes I painted the chrome trim rings for the teardrops to tone it down a little bit.

Once that was all done I rigged up my hoist and come a long and raised the tub back up to the rafters and did a quick clean beneath it to prepare to roll the chassis back in. I had to get creative as the slope of my driveway meant there was no way in hell I was gonna push it back in. So I made a D-ring plate and bolted it to the garage floor. Hooked my snatch block to it and tied my old winchline to the back of the chassis, fed it thru the snatch block, and tie the other end to the front of my truck. Put the truck in reverse and as I backed it up the chassis was smoothly pulled right up the driveway and into the garage.

Then I finally mated the body permanently to the chassis. Lining up the bolt holes by myself was a bitch but I eventually got it done and torqued down the bolts. Huge step forward!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Well body on frame I got down to work starting to put things back together on the inside.

First thing I did was mount up the brain boxes for the Dakota Digital gauge cluster. They should be pretty well protected here once the dash and fuse block go back in. And I should still be able to reach them for wiring. (Which I will do before putting this piece of the dash back in)

Next I mounted up the transmission cooler and got it plumbed up.

Followed by the Artec Optima Battery Mount and my Jegs firewall pass thrus.

Got the power distribution center bolted in for the most part except I can’t locate the stainless steel thumb screws I got for the two forward bolts to make it easier to drop down for wiring access. Just used some button heads for now until I find them.

Then I got the drivers side kids storage bin put together. Mounted and sealed the hatch cover and installed the switch panel and charging ports.

And got the Summit heater bolted back into place.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
Chipping away at things again today. Realized I’m running out of things to do until I get some more parts delivered. I have stuff on order, but the covid is causing some shipping delays apparently.

Anyway first task today was to knock out the passenger side storage bin lid installation and the other switch panel.

After that I got the Motobilt fuel cell out of storage (my RV kitchen table) and got it installed, bolted down, and plumbed up. I can’t finalize the filler neck yet as one of the parts I am waiting on is the fuel door that is being installed in the CJ tailgate.

Hopefully I start getting some more parts trickling in over the next few days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking good! Love the way that monsta liner looks. Definitely gonna use that when I do my tub. Maybe even do the outside with it. :evil:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
Well still waiting on parts to come in so I decided to start mocking up the CJ tailgate. Unfortunately it looks like I got the mounts in the body just a hair crooked as one corner of the gate sits a little higher than the other. All well.

And my second oops moment. The bracket the cable connects to the gate with also smacks right into my filler neck bracket. Looks like I’ll be cutting a small chunk out of my bracket to allow the gate to close all the way.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Making some progress on the reassembly.

I went ahead and notched my filler neck bracket so the tailgate actually closes all the way and cut the hole for the fuel filler door. I need to figure out how I want to plate this out to mount the fuel door so it sits flat.

Since I am brainstorming on this one I decided to switch focus a bit as some parts showed up. So I moved up front and installed the new brake booster, Ram 2500 master cylinder, and the PSC hydro reservoir.

I know it’s small progress. Having to homeschool the kid is eating into my wrenching time and these shipping delays are slowing me up as well. But hey, progress is progress.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Ever think of doing the 95 4.0 dual diaphragm booster?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I did. However they appear to be quite difficult to come across. I figure I’ll try this one first and see how it goes. If I’m not happy with it I’ll put the effort and time into trying to track down a dual diaphragm booster.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I did. However they appear to be quite difficult to come across. I figure I’ll try this one first and see how it goes. If I’m not happy with it I’ll put the effort and time into trying to track down a dual diaphragm booster.
The firewall brackets are the hardest thing to come by. They sell for like 250 on ebay when they surface. Atleast they did when I got mine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
So I bounced around a bit today.

First order of busines was hooking up the heater hoses. Had to use a couple of 90* elbows to keep the hose from kinking.

Once I got those hooked up I spent some tome connecting the cable shifters up to the Atlas. I got the crawl box shifter dialed in and functioning perfectly. But I am having issues with the front and rear shifters. I can’t seem to find neutral. So after a while I decided to take a break from that and finally address the fuel filler door on the tailgate.

After staring at it for a while I finally came up with a plan. I basically skinned part of the tailgate out flush to give me a nice flat surface to mount the door on as well as make sure I have enough clearance behind it for the gas cap.

What you can’t really see in the pics is the inner skin I made to cover up the three layers of steel. I cut a strip the right width and length then formed the strip around the hole saw I used to cut the hole. With a little trimming it fit perfectly.

Ready for paint I think.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
It looks cool. What is the door from?
I ordered it from Quadratec. It is actually meant for a TJ and made by DV8 Offroad. I picked this one because it is pretty reminiscent of the look of the 69 charger fuel cap. Kinda fits my theme and adds a little :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
So the wife and I are now alternating every other day with who is teaching and who gets the day off. Today was my day off so of course I spent it working on the Jeep.

First thing I did was spray some more color. I painted both fenders, the engine side of the inner fenders, the new windshield frame, the tailgate, and the tailgate hinges. Same paint I used on the body. Summit Racing Hugger Orange.

While I was waiting for the paint to dry I got to work on more assembly and installation.

First thing I tackled was the drivers side firewall stuff. Got the PCM, charcoal canister, Jegs adjustable proportioning valve for the rear brakes all mounted up.

Got the fuel cell filler all locked down. (It’s a bad camera angle, it doesn’t flow downhill to the filler)

Steering column and gas pedal went back in

Spent a little more time messing with the cable shifters, still don’t have them completely dialed in.

Then the paint was dry so I went ahead and bolted up the outer fenders and the mesh inserts I made. The inners won’t go back in for a bit yet. I am going to Monstaliner th tire side of them and I like still having the open and easy access to everything for wiring and plumbing and such.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
Amazon showed up with a few more of my switches. Damn corona is slowing down my shipments.

Got the tailgate bolted back on. It’s still a bit off and high on the drivers side. Looks like I need to slot the hinge holes out a bit more to get it evened out. I’d say it’s about a 1/4” off.

And obviously installed the fuel door.

Last thing I did for the day was install the new Jeep graphics on the fenders. First step towards the General Lee theme.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
That sticker is awesome.
I got them on eBay years ago. Amazed I was able to find them actually. Wish I could have found one for the logo on the CJ tailgate but all I could find was solid color. Ordered a blue one for that.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
Not my most productive day today but I got some things accomplished.

First order of business was to finish stripping down and painting the grill.

While I waited for the paint to dry I punched some holes in the firewall for grommets to run wires and started messing with figuring out and cutting down the body side harness. Once the paint dried I temporarily slapped the grill in to make it look like a YJ again. I need it in place to work out my hydro cooler mount and some other things.

After that I spent some more time wiring. Started working on the power distribution panel. Built my cables to the 100 amp relay that will power the ignition hot fuse box. 4 gauge feeding it and 8 gauge from it to the box. Also built the 4 gauge cable to feed the other two boxes off the power stud and wired up the harness for the Rugged Radio.

341 - 360 of 409 Posts