Pirate 4x4 banner

361 - 380 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Pretty productive work day today. More than 10 pics so this will be 2 posts.

First order of business was to finally get the PSC full hydro steering cooler mounted. So I took some aluminum sheet and knocked up a dimpled mounting plate for it.

I got the cooler mounted snugly in the bottom of the grill.

Then finally got it all plumbed in. Still need to secure that hose to the bottom of the grill.

Then I got to looking at the cooler nestled in there and the big open space between the slats. I still have a big chunk of perforated aluminum sheet left over from the fender inserts, so I decided to make a grille insert/rock guard to protect the radiator.

Of course I didn’t leave it bare aluminum for blinding reasons. I sprayed it with several good coats of red Duplicolor Metalcast paint. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
While I was waiting for the paint to dry on the grill insert I spent some more time playing with and eliminating excess factory spaghetti.

Still have a ways to goon this. It’s frustrating [email protected] the diagrams I have don’t seem to be completely accurate in terms of the wire colors. I need to hook the battery up and spend some time with a multimeter sorting this mess out.

Once the paint dried I got the insert installed in the grill.

Then I went ahead and installed the new signal lights. These have a strip of amber LEDs in the center that will be the signal lights. The clear LEDs I will wire to the high beams so they come on with the highs.

And before anyone asks, I got these from Amazon several months ago. It appears they have since been discontinued and are no longer available.

While I was doing this stuff the FedEx man showed up with some goodies from Quadratec. Windshield hinge light mounts and mirrors. So I went ahead and got those installed as well as the LED lights for the windshield hinges.

Making progress.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
Man, this thing is going to look killer. Love the perforated sides. Not sure if the front guard will not cause cooling issues, but it is good protection. Your certainly making progress.
Yeah I have some concerns about that as well. Guess time will tell. I did order a nice new Griffin aluminum radiator and electric fan combo for it today. Also running a Flowkooler water pump and the Hesco high flow water neck. Putting the Poison Spider hood louvers on too. Add in the extra air flow from those fender panels and I think there should be plenty of flow thru the engine bay. That’s my theory anyway.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Got down to work on the interior wiring today. The rest of my switches to fill out my center stack finally arrived yesterday. The two blanks will be for the heated seat controls. So with all the switches in I figured it was time to start pre wiring the panel.

This will be fun.

I started by setting up 3 separate chains of grounds.

Then I ran 3 power feed lines to feed the switches. 2 are 12v constant always hot, and one is ignition hot only. For future proofing I added a couple of extra plugs to each chain.

I also ran a daisy chain for the illumination circuit that will light the lower lettering of the switches when the dash lights are on.

Then I tidied up and secured the wires with some small zip ties to keep it neat.

Once the main panel was done I turned my attention back to figuring out and cleaning up the under dash wiring. I have to take a second to botch about the factory splices under the dash. There are at least 10 splices done this way from the factory and wrapped up with duct tape. Including the main power feed to the fuse panel. How the hell was this ever acceptable?

After an hour or two worth of work, this is the spaghetti I have removed from the dash harness so far.

I have a few more circuits to trace out and fix still. Amazons nonessential product delays are kind of screwing me on this. I’m waiting on more heat shrink connectors and a few other things that are keeping me from moving forward and getting this wire stuff finished up.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
Nice work on wires. I dread that job in the future. Are you going to have a dimmer on the dash lights?
No. I eliminated the dimmer switch. I always had them at full brightness anyway. The back lights on all the switches are red so it shouldn’t hurt my night vision.

And yeah, it’s been a slog. As I mentioned earlier the wiring diagrams I have don’t seem to match all of the wire colors I have in my harness. It’s been a lot of tracing wires back to figure out what’s what. Really need to put power to the harness for the last few things. But the new battery terminals are one of the parts delayed by Amazon.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
So more wiring work today. It kind of sucks because it’s one of those things where you are doing something and making progress but it doesn’t really look like you are.

That said I pretty much finished up reworking the majority of the under dash stuff and eliminated all the remaining stuff I’m not using. Still have a few more connections to make before final clean up under here. But it’s almost there.

When I got to wiring up the tail lights I realized I still needed to figure out my rear license plate mount so I know where to splice in the light bolts I will use for a plate light. So true to form on this build I knocked up a rediculously overkill bracket to weld to the rear bumper.

And the last thing I got done today was installing the new headlight buckets, retaining rings, and adjuster screws as well as my LED headlights.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Have you tried to put fuel in that filler yet? Not much fall and looks to be straight for a bit.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Have you tried to put fuel in that filler yet? Not much fall and looks to be straight for a bit.
Not yet. The angle I took the picture at makes it look worse than it really is. I don’t think I’ll have much luck filling from a fuel can but the gas pump should be fine.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
Back at it today.

First order of business was to install the inner fenders. Had to modify the drivers side one a bit to clear the charcoal canister. You can also see I got the master cylinder plumbed up to the rest of the brakes in this picture.

With the inner fenders in I also finally fully bolted down the grill. Once that was done I installed the aluminum pins for the Hotchkis Racing hood pins. No more lame hood latches for me! They likely won’t stay that tall. They have to be height adjusted once the hood goes on.

Apart from that it was yet more wiring today. I moved on to some underhood stuff. Repurposed the Horn relay in the underhood PDC to power the fan on the transmission cooler, eliminated some more crap I don’t need. Built the battery cables. Ground from block to firewall, battery to engine block, battery to firewall passthru, etc. also built the positive cables to the starter, to the underhood PDC and to the positive firewall passthru.

I also spent some time making yet another fancy dimpled aluminum bracket that nobody will ever see to securely mount the underhood PDC to the Metalcloak inner fender.

Still need to repaint the cover for the PDC and replace the rest of the relays and fuses in it. Kind of wanted to use the empty slots in it but apparently I don’t have the right connectors for it. The ones I have won’t lock into place for some reason. Like they are slightly too long or something.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
Well UPS FINALLY delivered this lovely little package from Summit Racing. It was listed as out for delivery every day for the last three days. On the truck and everything. The last 2 days it said they couldn’t actually deliver the thing due to circumstances beyond their control. Best part is ups actually delivered something else yesterday. :rolleyes:

Now, the only thing I have to figure out is where to put the temp sensor for the fan. The only threaded bung on the radiator that I can see is the one for the drain petcock. I guess I’ll just thread it in there?

·
today
1,545 Posts
Well UPS FINALLY delivered this lovely little package from Summit Racing. It was listed as out for delivery every day for the last three days. On the truck and everything. The last 2 days it said they couldn’t actually deliver the thing due to circumstances beyond their control. Best part is ups actually delivered something else yesterday. :rolleyes:

Now, the only thing I have to figure out is where to put the temp sensor for the fan. The only threaded bung on the radiator that I can see is the one for the drain petcock. I guess I’ll just thread it in there?

nice how much was that set up :smokin:
?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
Braided hoses off the master?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yeah. Honestly it was cleaner and easier than running hard line. The rear one is 18”s from the MC to the adjustable proportioning valve mounted on the firewall. Hardline from there to the ball valve in my center console and hardline from there back to the drop to the rear axle. Braided from there to the axle. Hardline across the axle. Braided to the calipers.

The front is actually braided to a bulkhead fitting to the braided drop to the axle. Hardline across and braided at the calipers.

I’ve read plenty of guys here running braided for the whole system.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
Surprise surprise. More wiring hell Today. I guess if I wasn’t so concerned with trying to run everything neatly, well wrapped and protected, and eliminating the factory stuff I’m not using it would be going faster. But I really want the end result to be nice and clean.

One pleasant surprise today was me realizing that the AC relay slot in the underhood PDC was actually wired (even though my Jeep never had AC) so I was able to rework the wires for that to be the relay for my On Board Air.

I also mounted the relay that came with the new radiator. It’s such a nice quality relay and wiring set up I decided to just go ahead and use it as it came for the most part. Got my MSD6 mounted up on the fender. Ripped out and repaired more factory wiring. Routed more wires to various places, etc.

And yes I am labeling everything so I can keep track of what is what as I am starting to hook everything up.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
Didn’t get much done over the weekend. Mostly tidied up the garage a bit. However I did paint and install the new headlight trim rings.

And had an important package arrive. What General Lee would be complete without the iconic Dixie horn.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
On to today’s progress. I actually managed to get a lot done.

First order of business was to get the new Griffin radiator and fan installed since my Mishimoto radiator hose temp adapter arrived yesterday. Before I dropped it in I installed the mounts for the bling bling machined aluminum radiator overflow bottle I also picked up and got that plumbed in.

Then I got the Radiator bolted in place and installed the Mishimoto silicone radiator hoses and the temp adapter.

Then I hit my first and biggest snafu of the day. While installing the temp sensor probe for the gauge cluster I guess I overdid it a bit and snapped the damn sensor clean in half. So now I need to order a new sensor. May do another housing too since I’m not sure I want to deal with trying to remove the remnants.

So after cracking a beer and calming down a little I switched gears to install the overflow vent catch can for the Atlas and the front Dana 60. Still have to install the rear axle can.

Then I went ahead and found a good spot to install the 5 horns for the Dixie horn on the drivers side inner fender. Gonna need to get some more tube to finish hooking these up cause they didn’t give me enough for how I mounted them.

After that I jumped back into the wiring. I went ahead and finished wiring up the radio and the switches I. The main panel so I could finally get it bolted in place.

Then I went ahead and got the Winters Shifter installed and bolted down.

Then finally went ahead and put the drivers side dash panel back in, got the switches there wired up, wired up and installed the heater control knob and the speaker, and installed the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
More wiring and electrical fun today for a change among a few other things.

First up was installing the final breather can for the rear axle. Tucked away in the back corner of the wheel well. Yeah -6AN braided hose and fittings is a bit overkill for breathers, but why not.

Then I moved on to some fun stuff. Juiced up the PDC and grounded out the block and firewall so I could finally start testing some circuits. Powered up the Dakota Digital dash unit for the first time and spent a little time with the phone app playing with and adjusting the settings. Really digging the fire and ice color scheme.

Then I went ahead and finished wiring up the legal lighting switches. Left switch is the headlights. It is a Off-On-On so position 1 is low beams and top position is high beams. Middle is my running/parking lights. Far right is an On-Off-On for the reverse lights. Down On position the lights come on when I drop onto reverse as normal, middle is off. Top on position let’s me light them up independently whenever I want for rear lighting, recovery hook up, and pissing off tailgaters.

Then I finished wiring and testing the rear lighting.

Reverse lights/rear spots

Tail/running lights

Brake/turn lights

361 - 380 of 427 Posts