Pirate 4x4 banner

381 - 400 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
nice man getting close
digin the Dakota dash:smokin:
Yeah I am too. It’s pretty bad ass. I love the ease of configuring it with the phone app. I still have some more configuration to do. Haven’t hooked up the fuel on the tank side yet which is why it says fuel open in the display screen. Also has all the indicators for high beam, signals, etc built into it.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
Got to say, that dash goes really well with your paint! It seems like your moving fast. (I know it doesn't seem that way for you)
Yeah. I’m gonna stick to that fire and ice color scheme for that exact reason. It fits the paint and theme really well.

And yeah, the wiring is time consuming. It feels like I’m not getting much done even though I am. All my rock lights and colored rock lights came in yesterday so now I have to get those installed and wired up as well.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
Well I was having a productive day today for a little while anyway.

Finally found some amber LEDs that are the perfect fit to go behind the M on The Metalcloak fenders for my turn signals.

With those installed I was finally able to finish wiring up the forward required lighting. Parking lights all wired and tested.

Low beams and high beams all work. This is the high beams with the cubes tied in to come on with them.

Got some red silicone hose to finish plumbing up the Dixie horn. It’s loud as hell!

And installed and wired up the circuit breaker between the alternator and the battery.

And that was about the time my 10 year old harbor freight heat gun decided it had had enough and up and died on me. No heat gun of course means no more shrinking my connectors or heat shrink tubing which basically killed me being able to do anymore wiring today. Already ordered a new Porter Cable heat gun on Amazon that should be delivered Wednesday.

So without the ability to do anymore wire work I switched gears and started filling some fluids. Tossed 5 quarts of Royal Purple Max ATF in the transmission. Started feeding some Swepco in the hydro system, etc.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
Didn’t get too many pictures today but I got a fair bit done.

I started the day by dropping the belly skid since I noticed a little transmission fluid leaking. Turned out to just be a loose bolt on the corner of the pan. Got that fixed then decided to try to dial in the Atlas shifters while I had it down. I have the front output shifting perfectly now. The rear however I still can’t get into high range. Need to spend a little more time adjusting the cable.

I also figured out why the starter wasn’t bumping and the reverse lights didn’t come on in reverse. Turns out I didn’t have the transmission levels adjusted just right either. So I fixed that while I was under there as well so all that now works correctly.

My new heat gun showed up so I finished wiring up the fuel pump. I am seriously impressed and happy with how quiet this Holley Sniper EFI pump is! The old one you could hear from about 20 feet away from the Jeep. This one I barely hear running right next to the tank!

Also got the new Mishimoto temp sensor adapter in for the upper radiator hose so I got that installed as well as the new temp sensor. Then I went ahead and filled the radiator as much as I could without the engine running.

Finished wiring up the windshield lights and tested them out.

The new steering wheel showed up

And the last thing I did today was install the passenger side dash panel and mount up the Mic bracket for my Rugged Radio.

Not a bad day overall. The exciting part is I realized I just need to put the fan belt back on and splash some gas in the fuel cell and I am finally ready to fire up the engine for the first time! Hoping to give it the first fire next week.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Didn’t get a ton of pictures today but made some more progress.

First I finally managed to get the rear output dialed in on the Atlas. Had to actually cut down the threaded portion on the end of the cable at the shifter to get enough throw. But it works.

Then I wired up my 1 mall crawler mod. 16 red LED rock light pods. Gonna wait until night time to take a picture of those.

I also installed and wired up the drivers side rock lights front and rear.

Front is on the forward most body mount

Rear is tucked up under the kid storage bin upper floor extension.

I got the drivers side console side plate bolted back in and the ball valve for the parking brake put in place.

Then I spent way too much time unsuccessfully attempting to swap out the gem key cylinder that came with the Jegs column to a new Jeep key cylinder I ordered from Quadratec. I can not for the life of me figure out how to get this stupid thing out of here. There is no retaining screw holding it in that I can see anywhere. I tried pressing the little black tab down with a flat head screwdriver but that didn’t work either. Anybody know how to get this stupid thing out?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
Well today was rather frustrating. I started off working on some odds and ends while waiting for a gas can to be delivered.

For starters I put the new idler pulley on and reinstalled the fan belt.

Then I put the new bling PCV valves from Summit Racing in and finished off all of the vacuum lines.

And got the rear plate installed with the new plate frame.

Also finished installing the white rock lights on the passenger side and started securing the wiring under the tub.

Then my gas can showed up so I ran down the hill and filled it with premium, came back home and pumped it into the Motobilt fuel cell. Primed the pump, verified fuel to the rail, and turned the key to fire it up for the first time.
Cranking
Cranking
Cranking
Cranking
No start.
Tried again.
Nope.
Crap.

So I know o have fuel at the rail, am I getting spark? Pulled a plug and checked. Nope. No spark. Troubleshooted up stream and come to discover my 8 year old MSD 6 Offroad ignition module appears to be completely dead. It’s not sending power to the coil.

Now the rub. They no longer make this model. The new version of the Offroad module is not CARB compliant. So I ordered a new digital 6AL from Summit Racing that is CARB compliant to replace it. Of course this has a new style plug on it as well so I am going to have to redo the wiring to the MSD as well.

All well. It’s coming from the Nevada warehouse so it should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it wired in and fire it up on Thursday.

I’ll finish with a rear shot of my mall crawler red rock lights.

The last thing I did today was place the call to Tom Woods to finally order the new driveshafts.
Front shaft is 42&3/4” long, 1350 CV and 1350 joint, 2” Diameter .120 wall
Rear shaft is 38.5” long, 1350 CV and 1350 joint, and I went with the upgraded .120 wall tube for it as well.

Said they should be built and ship tomorrow and I should see them Friday or Monday if shipping companies are still running behind.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
Well today was a frustrating bust.

The new MSD Digital 6AL ignition came in. So I jumped right into installing that.

I wired it up exactly as the instructions said to. Big power wires direct to the battery, coil wires, 12V ignition hot all wired in. I tied the white wire on the MSD to the coil wire from the ECM just as the old one was. Went to start her up. Nothing. Led on the MSD is lit and showing it is functioning correctly. Followed the MSD instructions to verify I was getting spark from the coil by itself.

Disconnected the coil wire from the distributor, shoved an extra spark plug I had laying around in the wire and grounded the threads so it would spark, key on, tapped the white wire on the MSD box to ground and the spark plug sparked. So the box is working and the coil is good. (Should be as it’s brand new)

Hooked everything back up, pulled a spark plug wire from the cap and again plugged in my test spark plug, crank it. No spark coming from the distributor apparently.

Plugged my test spark plug into the wire straight off the coil again and cranked the engine. No spark coming from the coil.

Disconnected the MSD box and bypassed it. Coil power wire from the ECM straight into the coil and a solid ground to the battery on the coil. Still have the spark plug plugged right into the coil. Crank it. No spark coming from the coil.

So somehow it seems the ECM is not sending the fire signal to the coil. My first thought is the good old crank position sensor has shit the bed. I don’t think the one I have in there is super old but I honestly don’t remember. Naturally they no longer make the correct sensor for my Jeep. They either have the square oblong sensor with the wings on it which is wrong, but has the correct round 3 pin plug on it. Or the correct round sensor with a single bolt with an incorrect oval plug on the end of it. I need the round sensor with the round plug.

So I ordered one of each and I will cut and splice the correct plug to the corr3ct sensor to hopefully make a new CPS that will work. For good measure I also ordered a cap kit for my ECM as my reasearch says bad caps can also cause a not start situation. For $15 I figured it’s worth a try.

So after wasting practically the entire day and getting nowhere I knocked out two quick small projects so at least I felt that I got something done.
Finished wiring my center console USB and 12V power ports, secured my PDC up in position, and installed the final piece of the center console to finally finish putting the dash back together.

And I went ahead and set up the air intake components for my on board air. Air filter and Oiler.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
Tom Woods was true to their word. Ordered my shafts late Tuesday afternoon and UPS dropped them off this afternoon. Good turn around. Man these things are beefy!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Hope the crank sensor fixes it.
You and me both. The cap kit for the PCM is due to be delivered today. Also had a very knowledgeable guy from YJ Fanatics get ahold of me on Facebook messenger after seeing my post with some things to check thru. So I’ve got a few things to look into. I’m hoping I didn’t cut a critical wire someplace during my harness weeding. I’ve unwrapped the whole underhood harness again to make it easier to check thru the wires under the hood.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You and me both. The cap kit for the PCM is due to be delivered today. Also had a very knowledgeable guy from YJ Fanatics get ahold of me on Facebook messenger after seeing my post with some things to check thru. So I’ve got a few things to look into. I’m hoping I didn’t cut a critical wire someplace during my harness weeding. I’ve unwrapped the whole underhood harness again to make it easier to check thru the wires under the hood.
Just keep moving forward on it man.
I remember when mine wouldn't fire.....
Turned out it was a brand-new DUI HEI module was shitty.
Threw a stock one in and it fired right up.
It's gonna be the little gremlins for the next week as you finish shit up.
I gotta say, the build is going great.
Hopefully we get to see the "it's alive" post with a video.
I'm curious to hear what that straight 6 is gonna sound like.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
Just keep moving forward on it man.
I remember when mine wouldn't fire.....
Turned out it was a brand-new DUI HEI module was shitty.
Threw a stock one in and it fired right up.
It's gonna be the little gremlins for the next week as you finish shit up.
I gotta say, the build is going great.
Hopefully we get to see the "it's alive" post with a video.
I'm curious to hear what that straight 6 is gonna sound like.
Thanks Todd. I’ve got some theories to work on now. I’m thinking it’s just a crossed wire or incorrectly connected wire someplace I need to trace out. Next garage day that’s gonna be priority one. And I will definitely take some video when I get it running. Should sound pretty good with the little Magnaflow bullet muffler I put on it.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
So got some time on the Jeep today.

First order of business was getting these beautiful new driveshafts installed. I started with the front shaft. Thankfully Tom Woods was nice enough to include the bolts for the transfer case yokes as I stupidly forgot to ask about them when I ordered the shafts.

So front shaft in. Looks like I have plenty of clearance for it.

Angles don’t look too bad at all.

Then I jumped to the back and manhandled the monster rear shaft into place.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
The last project I tackled today was to recap the ECM. Now I’m not really sure if this has anything to do with my starting issues or not, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to just go ahead and do it.

So the first step is to crack open the ECM case and remove the potted board from the housing.

This is the cap kit I picked up on Amazon for a couple of bucks.

Next step is to dig into the silicone they used to seal everything. I used an exacto knife and a box cutter to get the stuff cleared out around the 3 capacitors that need to be replaced.this has to be done on both sides.

Then it was a matter of desoldering and removing the old caps and installing and soldering in the new ones in the same places and orientations.

Then I used some fresh clear silicone to seal it all back up. Gonna let this cure overnight.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
Well I finally figured out my starting issues.

First one was self inflicted. In an effort to ensure my fuel pump has a good solid ground, I tapped an additional wire off the wire running to the pump from under the hold and grounded it directly to one of the fuel cell mounting bolts. I did not realize at the time that that particular ground circuit is the same one that the ASD uses to pulse the injectors and the coil. So by grounding it directly at the cell, the ASD can’t vary it. Thus my no spark issue. So I disconnected that.

Boom. Now I’m getting spark no problem.

Still won’t start. Did some digging. Yep, there’s your problem. Distributor is 180* out.

The black line on the distributor is the #1 plug position. This is with the motor at TDC on the #1 cylinder. Oops.

So o pulled it out and rotated it.

I finally managed to fire the motor but only with a spray of starting fluid. Once started it ran but sounded like absolute crap. It appears I have a large exhaust leak at the engine. Saw a fair bit of smoke coming up between the manifold and the motor so I need to check that out.

Shut it off and went to start it again. Same thing. It will only start with a hit of ether. Kind of thinking I may still be off a tooth on the distributor. I’m hosting a wrenching party Saturday to get a couple of my buddies over that know a bit more about the 4.0 than I do. With any luck we can get it dialed in and running good this weekend.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
Not much to report today as I am waiting for help to arrive this weekend on the crappy running issue. I actually did this yesterday but forgot to post it.

I finished up and installed the output side of my OBA set up. This is much cleaner and more compact than my old set up was. Still need to do the air hose from the output manifold to the Tee fitting at the frame and wire up the pressure switch.

Oh and for anyone curious, the input and output ports in the Sanden AC compressor are -12AN so I got and used some -12AN to 1/2” NPT adapters to run everything directly off the ports.

And today my new fairlead got delivered for the new Warn Zeon 12S that is being delivered tomorrow.

381 - 400 of 409 Posts