Pirate 4x4 banner

401 - 420 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
It lives!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
Well my poor Fedex guy sure hated me today. Had to lug this little beauty up my driveway.

Sexy new Warn Zeon 12s with synthetic rope. Sure I could have probably gone with the 10k and it would have been plenty, but the 12k was only $100 more so o figured what the hell.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
So purdy. Wheres the shake down wheeling! It runs get a move on!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Semi soon, the break in revealed a few things to address. The one idler pulley i reused from the old motor decided 5 minutes into the break in to start squealing like a stuck pig, so that has to be replaced. (Taking care of that tomorrow) I need to tighten the oil pan bolts up (I hope that’s all it is) as I have an oil leak towards the front of the pan. The shield between the engine and trans was bent a bit when we put it back together I am guessing and the torque converter bolts were smacking it. Gotta fix that.

Then I need to finish cleaning up, sleazing, and securing the wiring under the hood. Bleed the steering and the brakes and I should be able to take it for a spin around the block.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Semi soon, the break in revealed a few things to address. The one idler pulley i reused from the old motor decided 5 minutes into the break in to start squealing like a stuck pig, so that has to be replaced. (Taking care of that tomorrow) I need to tighten the oil pan bolts up (I hope that’s all it is) as I have an oil leak towards the front of the pan. The shield between the engine and trans was bent a bit when we put it back together I am guessing and the torque converter bolts were smacking it. Gotta fix that.

Then I need to finish cleaning up, sleazing, and securing the wiring under the hood. Bleed the steering and the brakes and I should be able to take it for a spin around the block.
I'm just pushing buttons. Coming out awesome man, were friends on facebook and I've seen the updates on the YJ page as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #406
Not really my most productive day. Spent a fair bit of time dealing with small details and issues that cropped up during the engine break in the other day.

Connected the water temp sensor to the gauge cluster brain box (realized I forgot to do that)

Replaced the bad idler pulley and got rid of the squealing.

Bled the hydro steering for a while. Super excited about the turning radius I’m gonna have now. Looks like it goes way further than it used to and it doesn’t look like the tires will hit the springs at full lock.

Climbed under the Jeep and addressed the starter mesh issue, reinstalled the inspection plate we removed to diagnose the noise. Cranked down the oil pan bolts again to try and stem the leak I have coming from the front corner of the pan by the timing cover. Really don’t want to have to pull the pan and rep,ace the gasket but I’m not sure I’m gonna be lucky on that.

Made another attempt to bleed the brakes and discovered a few leaks on my hardlines. Guess I’m not as good with a flare tool as I thought so I need to address those before I can drive it.

Then I spent some time looming up and securing and cleaning up my underhood wiring.

Then put the OBA stuff back on and wired in the pressure switch.

Placed another order with Summit Racing for some items to take care of my brake line issues and some black paint for the new front bumper I’m going to build in the next few days.

·
Registered
283 Posts
For your oil pan leak if tightening the bolts doesn't before you replace the gasket if you didn't already I've found it helps to put a small bit of black RTV gasket maker in the corners where the pan connects to the timing cover. These tend to be problem spots in my experience and the RTV makes a huge difference. If you already do this I apologise and look forward to seeing more!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
Well I am still waiting for the brake line parts I need from Summit Racing, so I decided today to go ahead and knock out the new front bumper.

I started with a free chunk of 2”x4”x3/16” steel tube a friend gave me. It was just about the right length. I cut it down to 46”s then went ahead and made some 45* relief cuts to add a little style and interest.

Got the 45s welded up then positioned it and centered it on the front of the Jeep to start planning out my brackets. For these I used some 3/16” steel plate I still have kicking around. I started with the top brackets and made some relief cuts so they fit perfectly.

With the top brackets cut I tackled them to the bumper and started on my side brackets. Again, 3/16” plate was used.

With the brackets tacked up in place I positioned and tacked on my beefy new D-ring shackle hangers from Ruffstuff.

Then I went to my old bumper and cut off the old Blue Torch Fab radiator hoop and stinger and swapped it over to the new bumper.

Once everything was tacked on good I pulled the whole assembly off for final welding. I also welded on some tabs for light mounts and drilled a hole for my air to go as this is plumbed and sealed for air like my rear bumper and will function as an air tank for my OBA. I welded on a 1/2 NPT pipe fitting I had floating around to connect my air stuff to.

I fully welded the top and side brackets together so it’s all tied in and added a couple of Ruffstuff gussets for good measure. It mounts to the frame using eight 1/2” grade 8 bolts. Should be plenty strong.

Still need to smooth out a couple of welds with the flap disc and of course paint it, but the Satin Black paint is coming in the same box with the brake stuff so I can’t do that just yet.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
Fairly productive day today.

First order of business was a few minor tweaks and changes to the new front bumper. I went ahead and angle cut my side brackets a little bit for a bit of style and to shave a lb or so. Then I decided even though the 3/16” steel is probably enough, I wanted more beef. So I added some 1/2” Weld washers I had from Ruffstuff to the side mounting holes. Then tossed the bumper and my old winch plate and brackets up and sprayed em.

As usual I used Summit Racing’s house brand single stage paint, this time in black. I think all told the bumper wound up with about 10 coats of paint on it. I mixed more than I really needed but I figured, it’s a bumper, it’s gonna take some hits.

While the paint was drying I spent some more time working on the brake lines. Didn’t get any shots of that but progress was made. To the point I was able to discover a bad bleeder screw on one of my front calipers that is just slowly leaking fluid out of it.

Once the paint was dry I went ahead and mated the Poly Performance hawse fairlead to the winch plate and bolted the behemoth Warn Zeon 12S to it.

Then I went ahead and put the bumper and winch plate mounting brackets on the Jeep.

Then man handled the winch and plate together into place and bolted it down firm. Also bolted up the lights and the new D-Rings.

Last thing I did was install and hand spool the synthetic rope onto the drum. I will spool it under load later. Probably use it to drag my truck up the driveway to spool it on properly.

Not sure I’m going to stick with the hook. I’m still kind of in the air on that one. If Factor 55 didn’t want a kidney for some of their stuff I’d be more apt to go with one of their flat links. I may still go that route.

Next working day will hopefully see me finish bleeding the brakes and clearing out the tub to perhaps drive it out for the first time under its own power. Though maybe I should do the hood and install that first.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
Might start a debate, take off the hook and use a soft shackle.
I actually have run the old school pre factor 55 shackle thingy for years prior to this. My only gripe with it was I absolutely had to use a D-ring and it wa the old style that only allowed the bolt end to go thru it limiting my hook up options. I’m thinking I may swap the cotter pin out on the hook for a pull style pin and do the same with another attachment type set up so I have more flexibility and options. With a pull pin it would take only a second to swap the hook to something else.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
So I didn’t get a ton done today. When it hit 97* I decided I had had enough for a while. However I did decide that it was high time I tackle the hood today. It’s that last piece of body work I really had left to do. So I pulled the hood out and got to work on it.

First order of business was stripping it down. I removed my old junkyard hood vents and the tie down points and such. Then I readied the template for the Poison Spyder hood louvre panel. I opted to go with the optional larger cut out areas to allow the maximum amount of heat to escape.

More sheet metal sacrificed to the Jeep gods. Of course I have more metal cut out than normal because of my old vents.

Then I put the panel on and drilled the 20 some odd holes to bolt it down.

The. I slapped the hood up on some horses and laid down 6 coats of Hugger Orange.

And I painted the louvre panel Viper Red.

Gonna let both bake in the sun and cure for a while, maybe until tomorrow before I flip them both over to paint the other side.

Last thing I did before running inside to escape the heat was to finish up the fittings and such for the OBA at the front bumper. Put in a bleed off valve to drain the system, a quick connect chuck and of course the hose barb.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
Didn’t get a ton done today. My daughter finished Kindergarten today so most of the day was taken up celebrating that with the family.

I did manage to sneak in a bit of work while the kids were playing in the kiddie pool though. First I flipped the hood over and laid down the final coats of Hugger Orange on the inside of the hood.

While that was drying I made an adjustment to my PSC hydro reservoir mount. As it sat to secure it properly I was pretty damn sure the hood wasn’t gonna close. I tried lowering it but didn’t like that it was really only being held in place by the cap. So I snagged some aluminum spacers from McMaster and added them in so the clamp sits below the weld line to secure it better and lowered the top of the reservoir overall for clearance.

Since it was a hot and sunny day the paint dried rather quickly. So I went ahead and attached the Poison Spyder louvre panel to the hood with the supplied 10-24 SS hardware. Also installed the new footman loops. Still need to install the Hotchkis hood pin plates and I am still waiting for my General Lee name graphics to arrive.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #415
Family day today but I still snuck in a few minutes on the Jeep. Bolted the hood hinges back on to the hood with new stainless steel button head hardware, ordered a new hood seal since I realized I hadn’t yet and need that to install the hood. And went ahead and got the Hotchkis hood pin plates installed.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #416
Today got me a few steps closer to driving it out of the garage.

First order today was to finish buttoning up the front bumper. Hooked up my air line to it and wired up and tested the lights.

Finished sleeping up and securing the rest of the wires under the hood then went ahead and put the hood on at last.

Next I did something I really did not want to have to do, but it is the only way I’m going to get the rear shocks to fit. I installed one of the spacers on the rear axle. The other side has to wait until o get it out of the garage as it’s too close to my toolboxes to get the tire off. I made sure to use red loctite on the lugs that hold the spacer on.

After that I went ahead and totally cleaned out the interior of all the tools and parts and diagrams to prepare to drive the thing out.

So with that done I went to try and bleed the brakes again. The fronts are bleeding perfectly however for some reason I am not getting any fluid to the rear brakes at all. I kind of think that maybe the adjustable proportioning valve I got from Jegs is bad and not letting fluid thru it. So I ordered a new Wilwood prop valve that will be here tomorrow.

With the front brakes bled I couldn’t resist starting it up and trying to move it a bit. The. I discovered that my At,as shifters still aren’t quite right. I can’t seem to get either the front or rear into high range. Both go into low. Found out real quick that front brakes alone are not enough to hold it in low range.

So I need to solve the rear brake issue and get them bled, and spend some more time fiddling with the Atlas shifters before I can drive it out. Hopefully get that all sorted next day I work on it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #417
Not my most visually productive day today. Still waiting on a couple brake parts.

My graphics order from Fast Decals arrived however.

So of course I couldn’t resist getting them installed today.

I also realized I never took a finished underhood picture after I wrapped up the wiring clean up so here it is.

Past that I spent the better part of the day fine tuning the cable shifters on the Atlas.
I have the rear output dialed in perfectly and it shifts smoothly and perfectly from low to neutral to high.
I have the crawl box shifter dialed in perfectly and it shifts smoothly from high to low.
The front output is still giving me problems and I don’t know why. Maybe I have to actually be moving to get it to go but I can only get the front output to go into low or neutral. It feels like it’s bound up somehow when I go to slap it into high range. I put the Jeep up on jack stands and rolled thru the gears to see if that would let me shift it into high but it still doesn’t seem to want to go. I backed off the detent screw by a full turn too and it still won’t go into high. I’m getting rather frustrated with it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
Big day today! The YJ finally drove out of the garage under its own power! Got the brake issues all worked out and fixed and I was finally able to drive it out!

Bouncy as hell with no shocks right now.
Think it needs more transmission fluid as I feel like the transmission was slipping a bit. Overall though, I’m a happy camper. So here are a few videos. We have the drive out, the drive back in to park it on the lawn, a video walk around of the exterior and undercarriage, and a video walk thru of under the hood. Pics in the sunlight will be a separate post.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #419
And now for some daylight pictures!
For those curious I also put a tape on it. 120” wheelbase. Yes. 10 feet center to center.

Had my daughter stand in front of it for size contrast. This thing is huge!

And where the YJ has sat for the last year and change. I swore to the wife before I continue on the Jeep I would do a total guy and clean job in here so my next working day will be taken up by cleaning the garage.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #420
Well I didn’t get completely done cleaning the garage today, but I got about 75% of the way there. It’s amazing. I actually know where all of my tools are again! (Though I am still missing a few sockets and wrenches that I am sure I will find when I clean up the last 3 work benches)

Past that my oil and filter came in from Summit today so I can drain out the break in oil.

I have another half day worth of work to do to finish cleaning the shop and roll in and set up the tube bender. Then I need to get an order in to IMS for my tube for the roll cage. Thinking I should have that in next week so I can start on the roll cage.

As you can see, I called it a day after I cleared the welding table. Still have the main work bench, gun bench, and electric bench and the floor in front of them to go.

401 - 420 of 428 Posts