Pirate 4x4 banner

441 - 449 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Well the shocks have officially been ordered from Accutune Offroad. I went ahead and ordered 4 of the 14” travel Fox 985-26-055 with the LSC adjusters on the remote Reservoirs. Accutune will be doing a custom valve and tune job on the shocks for me based on my build information and desired use. The LSC adjusters will allow me to fine tune on my own if necessary. Now I just have to hope and pray the lead time from Fox is shorter than the current estimate of 2-3 months. My goal is to have this monster on the trails for the season opener in mid October.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
Well today was interesting. I lined up Grewe02 and my mother’s husband to come by this afternoon to help me remove the roll cage. So that left me quite a bit of time this morning to tackle some odds and ends.

First task of the day was to install the rock rails.

With that done I went ahead and pulled the cover off the rear bench seat and installed the heated seat kits for the kids.

Then I turned my attention to modifying some Motobilt tabs I had to become the new lower shock mounts on the front 60. I wound up sticking a 3” hole saw in my tube notcher and clamping the tabs in and cutting a nice clean 3” radius in them. These fit the axle tubes perfectly.

Then Grewe02 came by and we got to work trying to remove the roll cage. Unfortunately I was a little too close on my tolerances with the feet on the A pillar and the B pillar. Also the rear bench mount ran a bit too tight to the fenders. After struggling with it for a while we reached the conclusion that if we did take it all the way out, we would never be able to get the thing back in. So halfway out it sits.

I ordered up some welding blankets, some masking paper, and some drop cloths. Looks like I have no choice but to do my finish welding and paint as it sits now. I HATE overhead welding but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
I almost forgot. While I was waiting for my help today I broke out the tape to get some numbers on this pig. So for anyone curious.
Wheelbase: 120” (10 feet)
Track Width: 82” (6’ 10”)
Rocker height: 34” (2’10”)
Belly Height: 26.5”
Top of cage: 89” (7’5”)
Rear diff @ 25 PSI: 12”
Front diff @25 PSI: 11.5”

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Ok. So I decided I really did not want to have to finish weld and paint the cage in the Jeep. So I decided my best bet was to go ahead and cut the foot plates off of the A and B pillars so I could remove the cage. Plan is to bolt the foot plates back down before the cage goes back in and just weld them back on in the Jeep.

So of course today I had no help so some redneck ingenuity ensued to remove this monster by myself. Kids don’t try this at home.

This worked great u til it came time to lower it to the ground. Let’s just say the cage has already had its first minor flop. Thankfully nobody (me) was injured in the attempt. I did wind up with a small dent in the tailgate and I have a little paint touch up to do in a couple of spots, but all well.

With the cage out and already upside down I put it on some movers dollies and rolled it into the garage to start welding.

Finished all the welds that would have been overhead had I left it in the Jeep then used my hoist to tip it up onto its side for more easy access.

Then a final flip to get it back upright to finish all the welds.

Then I went ahead and got it up on jack stands and started doing some paint prep.

So my next work day it will be sprayed with color and hopefully I can round up six guys or so to help me put it back in for the last time next week.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
So I snuck out to the garage for a little bit today to spray my first color on the overhead X bars. I decided to do it today so that by Friday it will be fully cured and I can mask it off to spray the rest of the cage.

Applied several coats of Summit Racing’s house brand Royal Blue Pearl.

The pictures don’t really do it justice. The rest of the cage will be sprayed Viper Red on Friday.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
Nothing major today as it was my day to watch the kids. However half of my Harness order showed up today. I went with Racequip 5 point cam lock style harnesses this time. The 3” wide ones for the front seats came in today. I am still waiting for the 2” wide Jr. Dragster harnesses for the kids to come in.

I couldn’t resist tossing a set on one of the seats to check it out and play with the cam lock real quick. I can already tell I am going to like these way more than the old latch and link style I’ve used for years. These are super simple to snap in and release. The cam stays on one of the lap belts and everything else just snaps in. I think my daughter will be able to buckle herself in and release herself now so I won’t have to do it anymore.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
Paint day today!

I started by masking off the overhead X bars with tape and masking paper to protect them while my air compressor was charging up.

Then I mixed up some Summit Racing house brand single stage acrylic urethane in Viper Red with their activator and started spraying.

This is a pretty popping red. Will definitely see me coming down the trail.

After letting the red cure for a little bit I peeled the mask off the blue.

Then for the final touch I added the 13 white star decals evenly spaced on the top and bottom of the X bars to emulate the confederate battle flag.

Last thing I did for today was to sketch out the overhead and take down the dimensions and send an email to Gearshade to see about getting a custom bikini top made to fit the cage.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #448
I have a little minor side project update today.

With the rocker steps in place I realized they are still a bit too high to co for table swing my leg up to to climb in. If it’s hard for me it will be impossible for my wife and my kids. So I came up with a little plan. Bubbarope used to make and sell stirrup steps that latched onto the door frame to help people get in to lofted Jeeps, however they no longer offer them.

So I hit amazon and picked up a pair of metal saddle stirrups for horseback riding. Since they are metal I was worried about them banging and clanging around in the Jeep while wheeling. So I thought I would try my hand at this fancy Paracord wrapping stuff that seems so popular these days. So I also ordered up some orange Paracord and gave it a try. I think they came out pretty good for my first attempt.

Along with these I got some 2” wide heavy duty strap. I will use the strap to attach these to some 2” harness mount tabs I had floating around the garage and bolt them to a couple of tabs I added to the roll cage under the front seat mounts. Should be easy to reach in and pull them out to the deployed position, climb in, and pull them back in.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
Nice productive day today. During the day while I was awaiting the arrival of my help to put the roll cage in I went ahead and started installing some stuff on it.

First order of business was the front and rear dome lights. Picked these little LED units up from Amazon. They have a 3 way switch on them. 1 is white light, the other is red light so it won’t affect my night vision at night.

Then I went ahead and mounted the overhead 12V fans. There is one above each seat and they will each be on their own switch so the person in that seat can turn it on or off whenever they want. They are adjustable and can swivel and rotate as well. Again these came from amazon but I modified them to suit my needs.

Then came my refreshed wake tower speakers. They have been repainted and I replaced the old speakers with some marine Kicker 3 way speakers.

Then I installed the cage mount rear view mirror.

And the front cup holders. Gonna wait on the rear ones until I see where the best spot will be for the kids to reach them from their seats. These are just bicycle water bottle holders. They work great for Jeeps and hold well while wheeling.

Then the cavalry arrived and we got the cage dropped back into the Jeep in about 2 minutes. Big thanks to everyone that rolled on over to give me a hand. I’ll have to get some better shots tomorrow. By the time it was in the light was fading and the pics didn’t come out too great.

441 - 449 of 449 Posts