Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Just a note about fish plating. You shouldn't have the two fish plates line up. For example, if your two vertical plates on each side of the frame are 4" past the joint, make the top and bottom plates 2" or 6" past the joint. Some people would just weld the top and bottom with no plate.

The idea is generally if metal cracks, it cracks next to a weld. If it starts next to a weld, it will follow next to it. If your two plates are close to the corner, the crack might jump to the next plate and continue to follow it around. If it is two inches away, it might not make the jump.

Anyways, progress is good. Thanks for sharing.

·
today
1,499 Posts
Just a note about fish plating. You shouldn't have the two fish plates line up. For example, if your two vertical plates on each side of the frame are 4" past the joint, make the top and bottom plates 2" or 6" past the joint. Some people would just weld the top and bottom with no plate.

The idea is generally if metal cracks, it cracks next to a weld. If it starts next to a weld, it will follow next to it. If your two plates are close to the corner, the crack might jump to the next plate and continue to follow it around. If it is two inches away, it might not make the jump.

Anyways, progress is good. Thanks for sharing.
too late now:D

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Well made some more progress today. I finished cleaning up the entire drivers side frame rail front to back. Removed all of the factory brackets that were left, spent some time filling in the factory holes for the crumple zone and all the various little holes I’ve drilled in the frame over the years. Cut off the shock mounts front and rear, the remaining body mounts, and the shackle and spring hangers as well as the e-brake brackets and such. Then when it was all cleaned up and smoothed our I got to work welding on new stuff.

First I burned in the new Motobilt front shackle hanger. The. I jumped to the welding table and welded together the new spring hanger. Factory next to the new Motobilt spring hanger.

After that I welded together three of the Swag high clearance body mounts. Again, factory junk next to Swag’s beef.

Then I hopped back over to the frame and burned in the new Swag body mounts. If I bend or brake one of these I have way bigger things to worry about.

The last thing I addressed today was some cancer I found on the frame underneath the factory rear shock mount. When I peeled it off I discovered a couple of small rust holes underneath it. The way they welded them in I am not surprised. It basically makes a perfect little pocket to hold water and crud. I suspect I will find a similar problem under the passenger side mount when I remove it.

So to fix it, luckily I ordered a foot more of the frame steel then I actually needed to do the stretch. I cut a 7” long piece off of the remaining foot and then split it in half making a pair of L shapes the exact dimensions of the frame rail. I cleaned up the area as best I could, sprayed a couple of coats of weld thru primer over the area and capped it with my L plate and burned it in. The plate goes a few inches past the rusted out section on each side and is burned into good steel all the way around.

As for the fish plating thing, I’m not too worried about it. I fully welded the seam all the way around first. The plates are just extra reinforcements. I also wound up having to have the rear body mounts partially overlapping the side fish plates so it is even further connected to the original frame now thru that.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Came home from work to a nicely crated 4.6L Stroker long block from ATK. Luckily the delivery guy was super cool and despite them telling me on the phone they are curbside only he rolled it right up to the garage for me on the pallet jack. Can’t wait to get it unpacked and on the engine stand. Gotta place a fat order with Summit racing for the rest of the stuff I need to build it up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Came home from work to a nicely crated 4.6L Stroker long block from ATK. Luckily the delivery guy was super cool and despite them telling me on the phone they are curbside only he rolled it right up to the garage for me on the pallet jack. Can’t wait to get it unpacked and on the engine stand. Gotta place a fat order with Summit racing for the rest of the stuff I need to build it up.

:smokin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
217 Posts

Can’t say enough about Summit Racing customer service. I have ordered $1000’s of dollars in parts and returned $100’s. Never had any issues and would get 90% of my orders in 24 to 48 hours. They price match too. Build is looking good. When we get done let’s go wheel!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Can’t say enough about Summit Racing customer service. I have ordered $1000’s of dollars in parts and returned $100’s. Never had any issues and would get 90% of my orders in 24 to 48 hours. They price match too. Build is looking good. When we get done let’s go wheel!
You don’t have to sell me on Summit Racing. Been a loyal customer of theirs for over 20 years. Used to live 20 minutes from the Ohio showroom it was great to just walk in and browse around. I’ve built quite a few vehicles out of their catalog over the years. Used them heavily for my 71 Charger build.

Best part for me is if they have it in stock in the Nevada warehouse their free shipping usually has it at my door the very next day after I order it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Well the parts train is rolling again! Came home to most of the large Summit Racing order I placed yesterday. Everything that shipped from the Nevada warehouse anyway.

New timing cover, distributor, spark plugs, MSD coil, Taylor 8.2MM plug wires, harmonic balancer, 180* thermostat, a mess of new sensors/senders, K&N oil filter, etc. lots more coming yet from Summit, Amazon, and Quadratec.

Also still have to call up PSC and order my full hydro set up. Planning to do that this coming week.

I also received the new 4 hole 27 lb fuel injectors I ordered from Fuel Injector Connection. These are sold specifically for a Stroker motor.

I don’t know why these are sideways.

·
Roo skin seat covers
1,192 Posts
I don’t know why these are sideways.
You probably took the pics on your phone in landscape, like you should. But unfortunately the coding gets screwed up between software, somewhere between your phone and it going on this page.

Kind of, along the line, some softwares see it was taken orientated on your phone that way, doesn't see landscape mode.

It's painful, but if you want to eliminate the issue, take pics in portrait, then crop to landscape. Then it never happens.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Well as I am sitting here with the baby waiting for the wife to get home from her appointment and some personal time I went ahead and called up PSC to place the order for their Trail Series full Hydro steering kit with a single pass cooler, YJ specific pump, fluids, and all the bells and whistles. When the wife gets home I’m gonna head out to the hot garage and sweat my ass off for a few hours. Goal today is to finish stripping the passenger side frame of the last of the factory crap, burn in the new mounts and such on that side and get the Stroker out of the crate and onto the engine stand for masking and paint.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
You will need to order some more ram mounts. It only comes with two. If you can fit them get two more. I could only fit 3 on my Artec Mount.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
You will need to order some more ram mounts. It only comes with two. If you can fit them get two more. I could only fit 3 on my Artec Mount.
Good to know. I am using the Artec Chevy 60 mount. I’ll have to order more when I get it mocked in and see what I can fit.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Well the thermometer in the garage said a balmy 94 degrees when I got out there this afternoon, but I sucked it up and got to work. First thing I did was finished cleaning the last of the factory stuff off the passenger side of the frame.

I have now officially hit the turning point where I am no longer removing stuff and now will only be adding stuff on! :D

It came as exactly zero surprise to discover another big fat cancer hole beneath the passenger side factory rear shock mount. On the bright side, these two spots were the only rusted out areas on the entire frame. I will deal with this side the way I dealt with the other side above.

After that I took the leaf blower and blew all the grinding dust out of the garage as I am pretty much done with that phase of the build and it felt like I was working on a dirt floor. I also went ahead and welded up the other 3 Swag body mounts and spring hanger but I did not get to installing them on the frame.

Instead I decided to uncrate the Stroker and get it on the stand.

Apparently ATK loaded it with a Comp Cam as part of the Stroker build up. I’m pretty pleased with the engine. Nice and clean. Everything looks good on it. The few bolts I spot checked were torqued to spec.

Then I got it all masked off and laid down the first 2 coats of Chevy Orange Duplicolor Engine Enamel. Used a whole can. Planning to use at least one more can on it. The new engine parts are still trickling in. The new oil pan showed up today.

:grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Got home from work a bit early today so I sprayed two more coats of paint on the engine and went ahead and pulled the mask off of it. Can’t wait for the rest of the engine parts to come in so I can get to work assembling this beast.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
More parts trickling in. Second box from Summit Racing containing a new idler pulley and a brand new shiny BBK 62MM Throttle Body

I also found a company online this morning by the name of Totally Stainless that offers a complete Stainless steel hardware kit for the Jeep 4.0L engine. I had originally planned to reuse my existing hardware from the old motor, clean it all up, maybe paint it, etc. but the price on the kit was reasonable so I decided to just go ahead and order it and have all new fresh, shiny, SS hardware to assemble the engine with.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Came home to another lovely pile of boxes again today

2 big heavy ones from PSC containing my complete full hydro kit, cooler, and fluid

Smaller ones from Quadratec with more random engine build items. New fuel pressure regulator, Mishimoto silicone radiator hose set, new dipstick, oil fill plug, poly transmission mount, and a new aluminum valve cover

Yes it says 4.0L on it which is a lie but all well. It looks a thousand times better than my old one does. I had ordered one that said Jeep on it from Amazon but discovered when I went to test fit that it was for a 4.2L and didn’t have the right holes in the right places.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Another lovely pile of boxes on my return home from work today

New Banks header ordered from Summit Racing yesterday, Powermaster 170 amp alternator, silicone vaccuuum line kit, and a set of Brown Dog engine side motor mounts for the Stroker.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Well we were supposed to go to some family reunion thing today but luckily for my my daughter has a fever and is sick so we stayed home instead. So I managed to slip out to the garage for a while and get a little work done.

I started with finishing the passenger side body mounts and rust repair patch. Overheated the welder with an inch left to go on the patch so I’ll finish that later.

And since everyone loves weld close ups around here. Yes I had to stop and reposition.

After I overheated the welder I came inside to check on the sick kid and the wife and baby. The wife not so subtly hinted that it was high time I get rid of the pile of scrap metal sitting in the corner of the yard. Said she felt like we were on the set of Sanford and Son. So I loaded all the crap I’ve cut off the Jeep into my truck and made a scrap yard run. Netting me a whopping $24.40

121 - 140 of 449 Posts