Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Sweet write-up/pics,just as meticulous as the work itself.

Looks great and should provide some much needed enthusiasm for those of us with Scout parts littering the property.:)

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Stupid low-tech / no tech question for you OS.

Where'd you get the stripe? Is that decal? or did you mask and paint it?

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
So what left?? Looks pretty complete, finnaly.

heck, even if all the details ain't done, if it runs, wheel it. Details can wait :D

you might be Mechanos :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Looks like wheel spacers on the rear in one of the pics, if so is that to widen the rear to match the Cheb front?

that subuaru pump..........I was under the impression that they didn't run all the time as installed in the cars, will yours run all the time?

Looks good btw now get the dam thing done :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
RustoleumWhite said:
So what left?? Looks pretty complete, finnaly.

heck, even if all the details ain't done, if it runs, wheel it. Details can wait :D

you might be Mechanos :flipoff2:
Someone should offer up some kind of prize for race between me and OS to see who gets done first. Maybe that would keep the fire lit under our asses to finish these things. :flipoff2:

I, too, an suffering from motivation deprivation associated with a long build. Hell widen the challenge to include Chiscouter.... he's into a marthon build as well.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
nwmud said:
OK actual techy kind of question - yea right...
Do you have a automatic radiator or are you just using the small factory cooler? Is it enough to actaully work on its own? what about connecting two of those factory coolers together - would that be enough to cool a 304?

I have the same cooler on my rig, but that's all I currently have.
I have a standard auto radaitor cooler in-line before the aux cooler in front.

Stupid low-tech / no tech question for you OS.
It's just regular old 3M automotive stripping. The international sticker was made by these guys:http://www.decalzone.com/creat.php

Looks like wheel spacers on the rear in one of the pics, if so is that to widen the rear to match the Cheb front?
yup the rear was built wider than stock but needed 1.5" on each side to be 1" narrower than the front.

that subuaru pump..........I was under the impression that they didn't run all the time as installed in the cars, will yours run all the time?
The Subaru has rack and pinion steering, so it needs boost all the time. They did slow the pump down at speeds above 50, but never turned it off.

What is left:
finish up some low level wiring
Run ARB lines
weld on some frame beef for the steering box. The box was rebuilt by PSE and modded for hydro assist. I'm leaving the ram off untill I wheel it a bit.
Pull front axle a drop off at Mark H's for gear/ARB install.
Build cage/seat/belt mounts
Install sliders, I have already built them.
Finish up oil pan/pump mods
Install full manual 727 valve body/deep pan.
Exhaust tail pipes. Muffs currently stop and rear diff.
Install 1350 rear CV yoke and 1310 front CV yoke on the D300.
Finish front drive line. Home built using tractor parts
Order rear drive line from High Angle
Bleed brakes
Wire up Stereo and CB
Build SSII door inners
Build 1/2 doors
install heater

Ohh yea. I have purchased a Chrysler 727 for my engine swap. I will be building a Mopar 408 for her, but will wheel the boat anchor for now. :p

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I like "most" everything on it. I would have went with a different color. :D
How about we all plan to have a get together at the next IH run on the Rubi next year? Isn't it held in Sept? :)

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
nwmud said:
OK actual techy kind of question - yea right...
Do you have a automatic radiator or are you just using the small factory cooler? Is it enough to actaully work on its own? what about connecting two of those factory coolers together - would that be enough to cool a 304?

I have the same cooler on my rig, but that's all I currently have.
I just saw an add in a magazine that claims it's tranny cooler is twice as thick, has fan attached and not need for radiator hookup.

I don't think theres enough cooling from most tranny coolers for that, they are designed to be added on.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Why would he spend the money on LPG or FI when it's a temporary mill? :rolleyes: :shaking: :rolleyes:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Eagle-Mark said:
After all that work you still have a carburator? :shaking:

You missed this:
Ohh yea. I have purchased a Chrysler 727 for my engine swap. I will be building a Mopar 408 for her, but will wheel the boat anchor for now.
A 408 will run circles around a built 392 and be 250 lbs less! Bolt on MPI is just part of the reason for the swap.

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Sorry missed that! My bad! Tar and feather?

I'm not fimilar with a 408? But there are aftermarket MPFI manifolds for the 360, 400 and 440. A freind is doing the 440 and his dad has a 413, he checked and said the intakes were the same. (here say)

We just got done building a Mopar distributor for these for full fuel and spark control ECM.

Attachments

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
A 408 is a 4" stroked/.030 over SB 360. You can build your own cheaply because the 4" stroked crankshaft is only ~350.00LINKY . Or buy one built in a crate with a standard bore as a 402 from Mopar Performance.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
3 hours-- is a lift install for me.

Oh, well OS you are slow.

The only thing I don't like is the side markers, always dug the stock IH ones.

Funny you picked the one failed D90 color, my 59 is marine blue which is real close to that and I like it. Looks original.

Edit: "You have a Scout?" Had. 1979 SII, 345/727, dual power-loks (I assume that is what they were) weenie little tires though, over half a million miles on it. Fairly decent shape. Bought it off my roommate in college for a dollar. Drove a wheeled it for a couple years and sold it back to him when I graduated as I had the 59 rover by then.

It had character. Wiring was worse than anything british I ever saw, choke was busted so you had to start it with fluid and a gaint 3 foot flame.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The SSII inserts with cab top is awesome. I've only seen one other scout setup this way. You going to fab up some peices to run SSII soft doors and fit them to the cab top or just have no doors?

Anything above 35 mph with SSII inserts and no door coverage can get rather windy. There's a huge difference between a hard door with the window down and an insert with no door. Then again, if you're trailering this thing to your wheelin spot, it doesn't really matter.

This buildup up post rocks ... very inspiring. Keep the pics flowing.
-Jeff

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
bjack said:
Good looking heeler :D
Joie is standard Pirate issue. I traded Lance a case of :beer: for her. :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
GOOD LOOKING DOG!
The scout will be a nice accessary for the dog.

I sold my dog's (Laddie) scout (1972 Scout II) to one of the NW Binders, after which he pissed in my xfer case when it was sitting in the scout. He never pissed on his scout but has now marked pretty much every part of my rig. BTW - he has never pissed on my wife's rig either, just mine and other wheelers. :shaking:

Laddie says : Wolfwhistle : that is one good looking dog

:D

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
WOW Bob, you have done a lot!

41 - 60 of 129 Posts