Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking to see if anyone has built their own tube bender.
I have an advanced metals manufacturing class this semester and I'm interested in buildings a bender.
I'd model it off the JD2, as I have a friend about a hlaf hour away who has one.
I have access to welders, mills, lathes and CNC mills/lathes

Just looking for some info if anyone has built there own.
Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
422 Posts
Here is the best thread. I made the cad drawings that several people have used. Someone also made their own dies. Be prepared it is 18 pages long.

building benders

:)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
here are pictures of the tubing bender i made based on a Pro-Tools 105HD.

if i were you, this is what i'd do :D

get a bender and take it apart. use a CMM (or a milling machine with a digital read-out or CNC mill) and dial-indicate all of the critical holes (everything except the bolt holes) to get the relative hole locations. draw these up in AutoCAD with basically the same part-shapes as the original. since i used 1/2" plate, i beefed up some areas.

cut out the parts and the bolt holes, but not the critical holes. mine are laser cut and came out really good.

using a mill (i used a CNC) drill the critical holes
use a lathe and cut your tube spacers to length
buy some bolts and hitch pins from TSC. i recently got a 1" heat treated hitch pin for the center of the main die for under $10 from TSC. its black with a red handle...nice!

bolt it together.

weld up a stand.

bend tube.

i did my ratched assembly a little different than PT and it works fine. i could still change the spacing of the ratchet teeth a little to improve it, but will probably go hydro before doing that.

it is definitely not rocket-science...but it does take a considerable amount of effort. i'm considering putting together a tubing bender "kit" that requires some welding and complete assembly. it would come with all the parts, including some pieces (not the tube) to make the stand. i should be able to get this together for around $175, which i think is very reasonable.

here are the pics!

EDIT: if you are wondering what all of that crap is in the background...they're doggie ladders for boats! http://www.pawsaboard.com/index.asp if you buy one, make sure you tell Amber that you heard about them from me...maybe she'll cut you a deal!

Attachments

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
jeepnmatt said:
i'm considering putting together a tubing bender "kit" that requires some welding and complete assembly. it would come with all the parts, including some pieces (not the tube) to make the stand. i should be able to get this together for around $175, which i think is very reasonable.
I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble selling a few of those around here... I for one would be ALL OVER it :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
What jeepinmatt says! I built my bender years ago from a picture. Works great but the problem is none of the commercial dies will fit my bender. Everything is just a hair off. If I was going to do it over I WOULD copy a readily available bender exactly.

·
Registered
751 Posts
HELL YA! geargrinder you rock! I was looking for those drawings so I can make my bender, might make a couple extra for some $$. I love being a machinist!

BTW anyone know if the dies are out of 6062-t6 or 7075 OR ____? I have access to a number of CNC mills and could even do it on a manual if I HAD to. I'm feeling giddy, must be late :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts