Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do alittle comparison. If you were to build a Dodge truck for wheeling, would you use a 72-93, or a 94-02 and why?

To simpilify this, Lets compare an 84 Reg cab Short bed 4x4 318/727/208, to a 96 Ram 1500 Reg cab Short bed 318/46re/231.

Disregard the initial cost.

Which would you build and why?

Garrett

· Premium Member
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ramv said:
Are you trailering it? If not I would heavily lean towards the new model. I love my A/C, cruise, pwr everything, Infinity sound system for going to the trails, then I pull the doors off and I still have a sweet fuel injected V8, nicely programmed auto tranny, quiet exhaust nic e gauge package etc..... Not to mention less stuff breaks just because it old.
My new model ram needs alot of the fornt end components replaced, already am on my 3rd transfer case, second transmission, needed new headgaskets, etc.. and came with a am/fm radio (not even a casette) from the factory. my old ram has AC, lots of the same packages, but it louder in the cab.
Less breakage from old parts is only when you have a really new ram, not a 95 or 96 with 100,000 plus miles on it.

Garrett

· Premium Member
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My tranny, when it went out, only had the torque converter go out. I actually drove over 152 (from san jose to los banos) after i started noticing problems with the transmission, then a week of commuting on it. Oh well. And i kinda like my np231, i dont do anything hard core with it, so it works well, in my opinion. I even stoped by advanced adapters and talked to one of the engineers, and because of the way i drive my truck (alot of highway time) he didnt recommend i get an Atlas. Though, i do with i got a slip yoke conversion.. I am waiting fo ranother tailshaft to break :( .. and my transfer case warrenty ends in 3,000 miles.

Garrett

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.