Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got some money saved up and I'm considering buying a samurai. I've seen several different lift kits online that look solid. Anyways, if you were to build a samarai, what would you do? I want to run 33s, for the record :D

BTW- I'm on a limited budget, so the build will take some time. I have to find a decent one first. I'd also like to swap in a either the ford 4.0v6 or a jeep 4.0 I6. What other fixes and changes would i have to make if i do this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Scrap the Ford v6 and the jeep l6 go with the Chevy 4.3 v6 if you have to have a six popper. It's been done before and I'm sure you can find a write up on it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
run the 4 banger if your on a budget. you will need it for upgraded axles to run 33s and you dont need that much power for 33s just get gearing

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
If you want to drive it on the freeway, I'd swap in something with a t-case that's direct drive in high range and an engine that has enough oomph to move it at highway speeds. That was my biggest issue with the sami I had. It was a fantastic crawler with 6:1 case, 5.29 axles and 35s, but you had to tach it up to about 4k rpm just to go 60mph, sucked to drive like that.
Travis..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im working on putting a 4.8/4L60E/NP243 in my '88 Samurai...

It all sounds like a fun idea until you get a tape measure out and get to comparing the frame and the room you have. Then go measure what you want to put in it.. :D

That Samurai is looking smaller and smaller to me.

·
Registered
801 Posts
go with the 1.6 16v. thats seems to be the perfect middle balance for power in a sammy. save the $ you were going to need to spend for the v6 swap and buy toyota axles. a stock spoa with the toyotas will fit 33's with a little bit of trimming. and for a trail only rig---INSTALL A CAGE!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would i be fine with stock axles running 31s? Even though I'd really like to do an axle swap and an engine swap, I doubt I'll have the time or money anytime soon. What do you all think of a 5in spoa lift and a 2in body lift, running 31x10.5s? I just want something to wheel to keep my truck on the pavement.

·
Registered
801 Posts
skip the body lift, and DO NOT buy from RRO. a spoa will give you the lift needed for 31's. However with the 31's the gearing will bring the suck, get some 6.5's for the t-case or swap in a 1.6 16v.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a ton of fun with a 5 in spoa, 6.5 t-case gears, lock-rights f/r, and 31's. You will be suprised what you can get done.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
If you can find a later sami with fuel injection you will be ahead of the game I think. Like was said above, spring over, lunchbox lockers and t-case gears will get you going.
Travis..

·
Registered
858 Posts
fuel injected samurai
cage
virtual lift
yj leafs
toy axles 5 29
6.5 t case gears
36 iroks

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have a 88 Sammy with a 1.3 with 43xxx miles on 33s lockers f/r 5:38 gears 4:1 t case and I'm planing on putting a 2.8 v6 out of mustang or ranger but mines punched out .60 over with alum. Crank and rods pistons and so on I think it be an easy swap but. The headers might hit the frame look into it. I'm doing it once my 1.3 dies but it don't seem that easy to kill one of them.:flipoff2:ps Sammy rule there cheap and fun to go wheelin in. I own my Sammy for bout a month an now and took it wheelin 12 times so far

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you are on a really tight budget, throw a locker or mini spool in the rear axle and wheel it with stockish sized tires.
If you have a little more money to spend, do the above and add some 31s, do a virtual lift (aka cut the fenderwells bigger), or run some YJs or YJs and RUF springs in a SPUA configuration and throw in some tcase gears.
If you have even more money to spend, do the above plus add some 33s and do a virtual lift and/or run YJs or YJs and RUF springs in either SPOA or SPUA config (whichever is the minimum needed to clear the 33s). I like keeping my samurais as low as possible, height wise. I currently run 33s, YJ and RUF springs in a SPUA config., with cut fenders, plus tcase and axle gears and the stock 1.3.
I wouldn't do an engine swap of any kind, unless your old engine is worn out and you can do it cheaper than what you can replace the 1.3 for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts