Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it has come time to stop paying money to someone else to have a shop away from the house...
Right now I have a 30x30 shop that I rent and it is about 15 mins from my house but I have decided that I want to be closer to the house and have all my tools close at hand...

The bad news I have a very limited budget due to wedding this Sept and Jess wanting to due a bunch of work inside house..

So here is what I have come up with..

The Plan:
Cut down trees in backyard (13 Pines coming out)
Tear out concrete parking pad to make driveway to shop area
sell shed and get it taken out of backyard (June 10th it is going away)
level backyard
pour concrete pad and then build building..

This may take me a few months to get done but hey I like build up threads so why not document it :)

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here was the 1st step in the process

I bought a metal building..

Good News: it is 26'x36' with 10'6" doorways and 13'6" roof line

Bad news: it was totally assembled and I had to go take it down and bring it to my house..

So I got 4 buddies and sunday we went up to location and dissassemled it and brought it back to my house on my trailer.

Took 5 guys, 24 Gatorades, 20 bottles water and 5.5hrs from start to finish..
NOt a bad day :)

Here are some pics of it on trailer back at my house :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Ken Carter / BRUISER said:
So I got 4 buddies and sunday we went up to location and dissassemled it and brought it back to my house on my trailer.
That's exactly what I did w my last shop, had to tear it down and bring it over. We had a lot more than 4 people but it still took us a full day. But I paid something like $1500 for the building when an equivalent new would have been at least $8k.

Congrats

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
D60 said:
That's exactly what I did w my last shop, had to tear it down and bring it over. We had a lot more than 4 people but it still took us a full day. But I paid something like $1500 for the building when an equivalent new would have been at least $8k.

Congrats

exactly this one cost me $1200 :)

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
That should work out well. I would take the money that was saved buying the used building and buy new screws, tacky tape, and good insulation. I am now becomming an expert on metal building insulation. There are many options. Did you get doors with the building?

You should be able to get it up under 10k. Depending on what you are doing for lights and electric, maybe 10k total. Are you building with a permit? I have wondered how you would go about getting a permit on a used building. I guess it would depend on local regs. In SC it would be easy, my area of NC would be a little harder.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Awesome!!!

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heavytlc said:
That should work out well. I would take the money that was saved buying the used building and buy new screws, tacky tape, and good insulation. I am now becomming an expert on metal building insulation. There are many options. Did you get doors with the building?

You should be able to get it up under 10k. Depending on what you are doing for lights and electric, maybe 10k total. Are you building with a permit? I have wondered how you would go about getting a permit on a used building. I guess it would depend on local regs. In SC it would be easy, my area of NC would be a little harder.

Good idea on new screws..

As for pricing.. here is what I have so far

Building = $1200
Trees = $1800 for all down and removed :)
concrete = $1200 but I have to spread and level (no biggy)
rebar,etc = my guess $650
Sell Shed = (profit $500)
lights, brackers, wiring, outlets = $0 all this stuff is in old shop that I am gonna take and put in new shop
the other stuff I stil need to look into is insulation and a garage door..

so total so far = $4350

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That is awesome, except the $1800 for tree removal part!!! I dropped and removed over 100 trees from my parent's place when they built their house and garage. Took two weekends with a buddy helping. I did almost all the chainsaw work. Were the pines just really close to buildings that they had to be removed with a crane or something?

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
4x4not said:
That is awesome, except the $1800 for tree removal part!!! I dropped and removed over 100 trees from my parent's place when they built their house and garage. Took two weekends with a buddy helping. I did almost all the chainsaw work. Were the pines just really close to buildings that they had to be removed with a crane or something?

Well being that I am certified Sawyer for the National Forest.. I also know how to drop trees correctlyand I do it for my freinds all the time.. but my problem is I do not want to climb these and top them and take them down in sections so I am gonna pay someone...

my house is 10 feet from 5 of the trees and I also have power lines, water, sewer and other stuff to worry about.. so hell in my area that Price is an Out standing. Plus this will be on there insurance if something happen not mine :)

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
They hauling off all the brush, climbing pines sucks.. How big are they?

Sounds like a good price..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Works out to ~$140 a tree. Hmm, climbing, topping, removal in sections, likely some rope work, and about 15lbs of pine sap on your self, clothes, and gear... and it all goes away without lifting a finger. Hell yes that sounds fair.

x2 on new screws, mastick, insulation

??? on re-using wiring removed from another building. Any time I've tried it, the stuff gets somehow trashed during removal, or was to begin with and ended up taking more time & spending the money anyway. Boxes, outlets, switches - sure. Wire, no thanks.

Your garage door(s) is/are going to cost more than the building unless you can scrounge them too.

Cool project, nice to see the low-buck/ no-buck projects.

-Nate

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
n8damack said:
??? on re-using wiring removed from another building. Any time I've tried it, the stuff gets somehow trashed during removal, or was to begin with and ended up taking more time & spending the money anyway. Boxes, outlets, switches - sure. Wire, no thanks.

Your garage door(s) is/are going to cost more than the building unless you can scrounge them too.

Cool project, nice to see the low-buck/ no-buck projects.

-Nate
As for the wiring and such from old shop.. my buddy Dave and his dad put in all the wiring and all we did was lay it on top of the sheet rock on ceiling so that way it will be easy to take out :)

I was thinking ahead.. knowing I wanted a shop in my backyard someday..

but yes if it turns out to be a problem then I gues I will have to buy new wire

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Thats a cheap price on those pines. They can be taken in pretty big pieces so that helps...

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Looks good Ken.....I can't wait till I drop a few more trees at the new house.....but my new welder comes first for the time.

BTW.....great crew you got, spotless cleanup in the front yard.

1 - 20 of 350 Posts