Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on building a 20x30 shop. But i realize that planning and getting a permit is going to take a long time. So in the mean time i am thinking of getting a tent garage. This will serve as a temp shop to work on my jeep. It will also come in handy when building the real shop to work out of. My question does anyone know where and which one i should get?

Thanks

Bobby

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
TSC has them here. And if you want bigger than a single bay one off the shelf, you can order several sizes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i have a 12x20 shelterlogic i use to store projects and my tractors in that ive been very happy with. I would recomend getting some extra 30" augers to hold it down and i also got a large tarp to use as a make shift floor and its actualy been very usable space. i wouldnt keep my tools in it just for security but the whole thing cost me about 300 bones.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Being where you live this could cause you almost as much grief as putting up your stick built garage. Back before 1989 I had a temp garage it was ok as long as I took it down for at least 24 hours every 30 days Some sort of Township code

It never fails unless you have no neighbors that can see your property there always seems to be one. A wanna be zoning officer this is the one that moved their from the big city.

Then decides that the dairy farm that has been there 150 years is offensive because the cows are the wrong color or some other reason. Then complains the price of milk is to expensive

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I use a shelterlogic also - primarily because I cant afford a real shop. I think mines a 10x20, KMART special 200 bucks. I keep the majority of my stuff in there (tools and most of my parts) but I have a cover for my welder and I cover my jeep with a tarp on the cold and/or rainy days as it builds a lot of condensation as you can see from the pics. do some sort of flooring because water seeps in even with a trench around the outside.

otherwise im pretty happy with it - I do quite a bit of welding and grinding in there and still no wholes yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
i got the shelter logic 12x20 from tractor supply on black Friday for 230. I love it I put down a 12mil thick tarp for the floor then some rubber mats where I weld. I live in central pa its held up great so far,I keep all my tools in it an use a mr heater big buddy and electric heater and i can work all day in it in just a sweatshirt in 20 degree weather. Its also has held up to some serious wind I would recommend at least 6 of the 30in augers for the tie downs only thing that sucks about the tents there not lockable so i had to put mine close to the back of my place and park a vehicle in front so noone steals my stuff but i still worry.I have been trying to source some cheap metal roofing. I think the frame will support that then it could be alil more weather tight and with roll up doors lockable another thing you can check into is a cheap metal building.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Searching for "temp shop" would have found you this in a couple seconds: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=918100
:grinpimp:

I have been very pleased with the 2 units I put up last fall. We had a good 8" of snow a few weeks ago and it held up great. I like the crushed limestone floor but if I had to do it over again I would have put a little more time into drainage around the canopies.

When you say temp shop, are you wanting a place to wrench, weld, and or store your equipment? I dont' know that I'd put much of value in there. If you want a good lockable place to keep your equipment and then use the canopy to wrench and store your rig, look at a metal shipping container to put alongside the canopy. Obviously check local codes and zoning first.

·
Dabbler
2,161 Posts
My cover-it brand garages lasted 10 years in northern NY winters before starting to tear. I highly reccomend getting something at least mid-grade. You pretty much get what you pay for when buying them...

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I wonder how fire resistant they are? If some errant welding sparks could melt a big hole in it or something. I was looking into the metal carport/hut set ups but by the time I got the size and set up I wanted, I was 3/4 the way to a pole barn cost. I want to set something up in front of my garage door since my garage is so tiny it only works as tool storage. So, I want to use the tent/tarp as a work space. Bad idea? It would be set up on a cement slab and anchored with redheads.

·
Registered
597 Posts
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200411388_200411388

i plan on getting this one in the next month or so and building a floor from pallets and 3/4 plywood(i have about 100 pallets and 15 sheets of 3/4) i tested the idea and it works it can support the weight of my buggy on jack stands no problem . since we moved all my shit has been at work and it bugs me. this should work until i can get a real shop built (18-24 months)

·
Registered
800 Posts
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200411388_200411388

i plan on getting this one in the next month or so and building a floor from pallets and 3/4 plywood(i have about 100 pallets and 15 sheets of 3/4) i tested the idea and it works it can support the weight of my buggy on jack stands no problem . since we moved all my shit has been at work and it bugs me. this should work until i can get a real shop built (18-24 months)
That's the same one I got. Good luck working on pallets and plywood for 2 years. :laughing:

·
Registered
800 Posts
I wonder how fire resistant they are? If some errant welding sparks could melt a big hole in it or something. I was looking into the metal carport/hut set ups but by the time I got the size and set up I wanted, I was 3/4 the way to a pole barn cost. I want to set something up in front of my garage door since my garage is so tiny it only works as tool storage. So, I want to use the tent/tarp as a work space. Bad idea? It would be set up on a cement slab and anchored with redheads.

I wouldn't want to do any grinding or welding in one without some sort of welding blanket or screen to protect the tarp. It would burn holes in it for sure. If you're just wanting some coverage outside your garage door maybe look into one where you could roll the sides up if you were doing hot work.

·
Registered
597 Posts
That's the same one I got. Good luck working on pallets and plywood for 2 years. :laughing:
it is less than ideal i may have to pour a slab for it and move it where it can be the wifes parking once i get the shop built im going to try the wood floor and see how it works

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I use 3/4" ply over 3 or 4 inches of gravel. Works really good. Have the ply screwed together with treated 1x4's underneath flush with the gravel.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I wouldn't want to do any grinding or welding in one without some sort of welding blanket or screen to protect the tarp. It would burn holes in it for sure. If you're just wanting some coverage outside your garage door maybe look into one where you could roll the sides up if you were doing hot work.
I was thinking about some 4x8 sheets of 1/4 plywood, stood on edge, attached to the legs. Make sort of a 'wall' to protect the tarp from punctures and sparks. My tiny garage is strictly for tool storage so the tent would be strictly work space. Really sounds tempting now...

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Why not use a carport and close in 3 sides?

Friend of mine has a 2-car carport which has a 20' boat, 3 lawnmowers, all kinds of other shit, and we've still got room to to a SAS on his '88 Toyota while he also parks his Wrangler halfway in it (it's not very water-tight)

Another friend of his (acquaintance of mine) put up a 2-car carport, closed it all in with 2 garage doors on the front, poured a concrete slab, insulated it, and runs a part-time shop (mostly tire/wheel mounting and balancing, stereo work, etc...). He's only in it for $7k. Looks and functions better than our 30x34 stick build :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts