Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of building an engine dyno using a modern day automatic trans. Maybe something on the heavy duty end of things like a 4l80 or maybe even an Allison. The reason I say a modern automatic is that they seem to be able to calculate engine torque internally and can be read via a scan tool. It would be powered by a Toyota 22r engine. It wouldn't get loaded for long periods of time and special consideration for fluid cooling would be done.
Any reason not to try this? I test/tune my propane kits on a live street vehicle but it would be nice to have a second option sometimes.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Just some thoughts ...

You would have to know and continually recalibrate parasitic loss in the trans. It would change over time due to wear. This is much simpler on a real dyno because it is so much simpler than a transmission.

How does the "trans" calculate torque? This is something I've wondered when looking through tables in HPTuners. The numbers I see often don't seem to make sense. I don't know if the system is actually calculating torque real-time or rather basing torque estimates off of pre-determined tables that never change even as the drive train wears? Not all torque tables are available in HPT ...

·
Vendor
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would really need to load it up against something but at different rpm's too. I ended up using a different vehicle for testing.
Thanks for the link to that other thread, good info.I honestly got lost and didn't get very far with that other link to know what to
search for. I don't really care to measure the power as much as being able to load it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts