Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Building from a Hendrix Z Chassis

Here's my official writeup for my build. My concept was that I don't know crap about Zuk or Toy and all of this would be from research. The other part was that Toy and Zuk are cheaper to build and maintain than a Jeep which I currently have built. I don't have a bender and cannot do that kind of math easily nor many measurements I'm just specially challenged that way so a pre built chassis allowed me to do this project on my own without asking for a lot of favors from friends. My build was very here's what I want and here is what falls in my lap for cheap. So after looking and waiting I found a guy who broke his arm and was being deployed soon. He couldn't finish the project in time and had to sell everything. This is how the listing read:

Hendrix Samurai chassis this is number 1
87 samurai frame all running gear and floor with firewall plus hood and cowl
engine is complete without carb no fuel tank or fuel lines
2 - fox 16” airshocks, 2” tubing, tube adapters, Johnny joints and all brackets for front suspension.
All steel required to extend the frame
Fj60 steering box
Toyota axles front and rear with extra set of axle shaft for both.
Plus other misc items

Here's what I came back with plus a lot of other stuff including a lot of steel and toy front and rear axles. I decided to go wider later.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Then I came across a sidekick engine and auto tranny from Jerry in Brentwood who was a great guy who has helped my build immensely. Never done business with a better guy. I wanted a kick tranny and gearbox so I could send it to
http://www.rock4xfabrication.com/store/index.php?cPath=0
to have my gearbox done up as a doubler with a sammy t-case with 6.5's in it. Scott has been awesome to deal with and for that I bought all my Trail Gear stuff through him. Anyhow I got an engine, harness, fuel tank/pump, toy cv shafts, radiator, toy power steering setup, and a few other things from Jerry and a lot of info....thanks again man:smokin:. The 1.3 engine was messed up and the original plan was propane. But when I came across this deal it altered my plan. There's no point in doing propane on an EFI setup. The last pic is the engine after I sent the wiring harness off to www.trailtough.com there's no point in messing around with something like that its just going to piss you off and make the build bad times. I changed the timing belt gave it a tuneup, valve adjust, new water pump and GM one wire alternator. The plan is to not run OBA and run a 2000 watt inverter to run my trail tools.

I picked up the tires for $100 for the set and they are bald...duh but the right size at 38". The weld on beadlocks are from www.ruffstuffspecialties.com and some of my brackets as well including the rear truss I will be welding my link suspension to as the Airshocks are going in the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted easy to fix and maintain to be a priority. You can definitely build something better I just wanted cheap and fun. I expect to have $6000-$7000 into my build and I don't think that is too much money for what I'm getting. Many of you will disagree and thats probably because I don't know what I'm doing and building on the fly here:flipoff2:. So yes you are probably right. I decided I want Jeep width 60" at about 103" wheelbase. This should suit my style of wheeling and my trailer I currently have. I found a toy rear which is the t100/Tundra style. The bearings have a truss and the pinion shaft is thicker. The downside is lockers aren't as readily available and the third member will not fit into my toy front. A lincoln locker was my best choice front and rear as far as money is talking. I didn't want ARB's and too much money would have been tooken up in a selectable. Yes I wanted one bad but here's what I got. This is the rear with the initial link mock up and the third member.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Now lets spend a lot of fawking money into a toy front end that it would have been cheaper to build something else. Unfortunately I'm going for lightweight and I like having a third member so the sooper dooper pooper toy front won out. I would advise buying this stuff in the winter already built for pennies on the dollar from some out of work sap who needs the money. Unfortunately for me I had to pay for some of this stuff just so I could install it and understand what it is I'm dealing with. The front is all trussed up with 30 spline longfields because I don't want to ever have to take it apart on the trail. Toy axles are messy and disgusting:barf:. Then lets put some dumbass 3" spacers on the end of it:shaking: Then you need to get a big ass shipment of crap that your girl looks at like you are freaking an idiot when it arrives on the porch. I priced out hysteer arms with GM tapers then steel to make the thing. It all came way too close to a premade setup to spend the time. Remember much of this build will put you in the dog house as it will become
"THE OTHER WOMAN!"
So time versus money sometimes has a different way of going.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So to sum up where I'm at so far its links in the rear and leaf springs up front. Its very involved to set up links in the front with an offset pumpkin. I believe the leaves in the front will make the rig more stable and fun. Just the lack of sheet metal and glass will make rolling and hitting your buddies rig much more enjoyable.:mr-t: So now the debate is between waggy 7 leaf or toy rears. I also have access to yj leafs for free to make a hybrid pack. I'm going for shackle reversal I tend to run into rocks and things on purpose for fun and would destroy a front shackle in no time at all.
This is the rear crossmember I will be welding these brackets to for my upper links. My kick doubler is coming next week and I'm waiting for that to put the engine in. I want the doubler and sammy t-case installed so I can get my measurements and angles for the rear links. I'm going for the "M" shape for us layman out there. Where the uppers are traingulated and the lowers are not. Do I know anything more than what I have seen and read? No! So I'm going for long strong links that will correct my ignorance on the subject.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I don't post over here often, always in toy section....but I got some pics. I gave him a crossmemeber that I bought for my toy, I get to his house after work and see this:

Danger...all danger. No dice, kick dirt.

For the proof...:D

Yes I help moveaside get his front end together...he was lost.

I will be involved in every step of his build and get in the way, post nice pics and just basically screw around.:grinpimp:

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well thats what happens when you wrench on your stuff and drink beer:flipoff2:

Anyhow got the front end in and mocked up its way too tall I need to pull a couple of leaves and put the motor in. Rockrat shipped my gearbox/doubler today and some other stuff I needed. I wanted to install the gearbox before I put the motor in because I'm lazy.
Thus the debate of trying to run the FJ60 box or an IFS. Either way its hydro assist hooked up to a PSC pump. I'm not trying to make this look pretty I'm just going to mess it up anyhow. Got a hold of a tubing notcher to finish connecting the frame to the cage in the front. I just tack welded some square tubing as a temp fixture.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright I need a little input here from you guys don't think for a second I have a clue of what I'm doing here.:laughing: So I have access to a waggy 7 leaf pack and YJ springs. Has anyone built waggy springs or a hybrid of the two to fit 38" tires sprung over? Just to save me a lot of time how many leaves did you run and in what combination?
Anyone got pics of a flat skid setup with a 1.6 with kick tranny gearbox/sammy t-case setup to get me started on that next project?

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
....Thus the debate of trying to run the FJ60 box or an IFS.....
I have an FJ60 box that im willing to part with. PM me if interested.

Nice biuld. My girl is thinking about getting one, when she gets back from the Navy since i have all my old drivetrain and a set of toys left over from my biuld up. How do you like the size of the chassis?

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well since my arm is out its slow going lately. I had a buddy come by and I had him be my hands and put this together for me. This is Rockrat's kick doubler and twin stick setup together with my sammy t-case. I already installed my 6.5 gears inside of the case. It will all mount to this auto tranny and I'll build a crossmember for it. Its way more bling when you first get it unfortunately I already messed it all up and got it dirty and painted the coupler gay blue.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 178 Posts