Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did the search and got information overload.

1) First off Highsteer - Parts Mike or Shaker, who gives the best bang for the buck. Or is there someone I missed?

2) Axels - Warn, Yukon, or is there someone around who makes a better set (ie: Cheaper)

3) Ujoint - CTM"S?

4) I have the drop pitman on the CJ do I need stock for the highsteer, stupid question but I seem to remember reading that you put the stock arm on........why? Or did I read wrong.

5) Anyone try the........afraid to ask.........Hub Fuse?

6) Flat tops? Mill exsisting one or buy new from?

7) Any other suggestions for a good 44 upgrade?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
#1 I don't know, maybe somebody else can help.

#2 The Warn fronts have worked very well for me and dozens of others on this board.

#3 Yep, CTMs

#4 If you are going to a high steer system, yes you will need a stock pitman arm. The longer arm would actually drop the drag link below the tie rod, unless you are running a lot of lift.

#5 Yes, run the hub fuse, if you are running a open diff front end, little tires, and never wheel anything taller than the speed bumps at the mall. If you are running a Detroit or other automatic locker,
you will destroy your locker when the fuse lets go. Also, the fuses will let go in straight ahead steering high traction situations, where normal hubs would work just fine, and your u-joints are not vulnerable.

#6 Just mill an existing knuckle. You can get knuckles at PnPs for as little as $15. For the milling work, there are plenty of vendors and machine shops who will do this for you. Shop around for the best prices.

#7 Don't spend too much on a D44. Money is better spent on a shaved D60 or Rockwell.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
CJ Shark said:
I did the search and got information overload.

1) First off Highsteer - Parts Mike or Shaker, who gives the best bang for the buck. Or is there someone I missed?

2) Axels - Warn, Yukon, or is there someone around who makes a better set (ie: Cheaper)

3) Ujoint - CTM"S?

4) I have the drop pitman on the CJ do I need stock for the highsteer, stupid question but I seem to remember reading that you put the stock arm on........why? Or did I read wrong.

5) Anyone try the........afraid to ask.........Hub Fuse?

6) Flat tops? Mill exsisting one or buy new from?

7) Any other suggestions for a good 44 upgrade?
1) Shaker is definately the best bang for the buck, he has hands down the best deals on tie rods and drag links too. Can't go wrong with him. He is probably getting my new drag link ready to roll this very moment.

2) I plan to buy Warns for my 44 when I bust the stockers for the first time. They seem to have a good rep.

3) CTM, most definately.

4) Depends on amount of lift and what the angle of your drag link will be with the new high steer, but most likely you will not want a dropped pitman arm.

5) Why would you want something that is made to break when throwing all your money at unbreakable parts everywhere else. With Warns and CTMs any hub would probably be the weak link anyways ;) and warns have a lifetime replacement :D

6) If you have flat tops right now, I would have them milled, way cheaper than buying a new knuckles. Shaker can hook you up in the knuckle department too. I got my knuckles from him, best deal going.

7) ARB Air Locker, nuff said...

I am unbiased as well because half my steering is ShakerBuilt, while the other half is Parts Mike, don't ask ;)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
1. For the most part arms are arms.

2. Warn alloys if you can afford them.

3. Yep CTM's will do the trick

4. You will probably want a stock pitman unless you are using really big springs

5. Fuses? Hell no, not with Warns and CTM's

6. These bad boys...don't even look at cast crap.
http://www.sn-fab.com/images/retail/d44superknuckle3.jpg
Also I know BNTMike has um. Get them from him. He's a good guy

7. For your steering use 7/8-18 TRE and 1.5" .250 DOM tubing

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awsome thanks for the replys.

I can't wait to start building these diffs, I do have one question more..........

Do these joints look like there still in good shape????

There is not a single Needle bearing left inside these joints........how the poor bastard even drove the truck these came out of is beyond me.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
my 44 had some busted up joints when i got it too. I definately wouldn't run those...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts