Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 14k GVWR 5th wheel toy hauler I'm pulling. Usually averaging 11-12k on a normal trip. Tow vehicle is a 04.5 Ram 2500 with the 48RE and 4.10s

My biggest complainant is the torque converter and how the truck has to be screaming at 2,000 RPM's before it actually moves worth a shit. It's the same when driving empty, although not as bad obviously. I just don't see what the fuck the factory was thinking when the 5.9 makes peak torque from 1400-1800 RPM's and it takes 2,000RPM before the truck even does anything? :homer:

Does anyone have towing experience with a built 48RE? I know a lot of guys put torque converters with lower stall speeds. How much does that help?

I made the mistake of test driving a '06 with the G56. I fell in love about 3 seconds into the drive. Had it not been a 2wd long bed dually (Everything I didn't want), I would have thought long and hard about just trading in for a truck with a G56.

Am I going to be happy with a 48RE that's built for towing? Are they that much better, or should I just plan for a G56 swap? I'd really like to upgrade to a '06 or newer and take advantage of EFI Live for tuning and the other small upgrades, but I see the diesel prices are still stupid as ever. :shaking:

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
What are you using now for programming?

I have a built 48RE on my truck and love it......stock converter and VB suck

Here are my trans parts list that are currently installed in the truck:
Mag-Hytech Double Deep Trans Pan
BD FleX-Plate
Billet TCS Output Shaft
Billet IE Opie Input Shaft
Goerend Valve Body
Goerend Triple Disk Torque Converter 900/300
Diesel Site External Transmission Filter Kit
Sonnax Billet 4 Ring Accumulator
HD Band Anchor: "The Power Wedge"
Billet Rear Band Servo w/ Pin
Sonnax Dodge 16% Oversize Intermediate Super Servo
Sonnax Billet Servo Cover and Billet Pin
Sonnax Front Servo Piston Cover
Billet 4.2 Apply Lever
Billet HD Strut
GM Solenoid Conversion Kit

The trans has been flawless and taken about 550ish HP without any issues or hiccups over the past 4 years

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Based on your post, I honestly don't think you'll be happy with the auto. A manual gearbox is, in my opinion, the best choice for an older tow rig.

However... The newer trucks with the 6spd autos are really starting to get it right. I drove a 2013 ford with the 6.7 and 6R140 (6spd auto) and LOVED that thing. The converter locks up at around 15mph, and stays locked from there on out. Works a lot like the big Allisons in medium duty trucks. I was impressed.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
My 48re in my 2004.5 CTD has almost the same build sheet as D45. Except, dave goerend speced a billet single disk for my set up. I told goerend I was planning on grossing 30k with my truck and I didn't want problems. With 170k on the truck now, its still going strong and over half those miles have been towing. I also have a PAC brake with a trans controller and a manual lock up switch. But, I know plenty of people that have built 48re's and blow them up in no time flat. Its all about knowing how to use the tranny. Keep it locked!!!
My dads 06 mega has ate one G56 and two clutches in 160k grossing 20k. And it always runs really hot.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I think a solidly built 48RE will outperform a clutch, but it will cost you a decent chunk

My auto runs very cool.......clean fluid, double deep trans pan, external filter kit, and properly working components

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I have used my buddies 06 Cummins 6 speed truck to haul a truck camper and a rig on a trailer. I absolutely loved the experience. The ratios are really very good and since the common rails make so much power in stock trim, you don't need to be running it hammer down all the time. Very enjoyable to drive with a load behind it.
Travis..

·
old school idiot
1,594 Posts
I have an 06 with a g56. always used as a RV towing a 22k gross load. I put a temp gauge on it when it was new and it scares the shit out of me every time I take it out. I was flying up Baker grade doing 60 in 5th when I noticed 265 less than half way up. I have put the finned PTO coolers on it. added a fill plug higher on the pto cover to run 2 extra quarts of oil. ceramic coated and wrapped the exhaust pipe. I just now finished adding a pump and oil cooler to it. even so I still love to drive it. most people have no idea how hot a manual trans gets under heavy load. I have temp gauge on the diff to. had to put mag hi tec cover on it. it runs a lot cooler than the trans

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
The problem with the G56 is that it is not designed for ATF+4, that's just what Dodge put in them.

A good quality synthetic 75W90 is better for it, keeps it cooler and lessens the gear rattle.

I hotshotted my 09 before I sold it a few months back, regular GCWs from 16-26,000 without any transmission troubles. Heck, it still had the factory clutch in it!

Get a G56, then change the oil ASAP. You'll be happier in the end.

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think my current plan of action is crossing my fingers the stock 48RE holds in long enough so I can source parts to swap it out for a G56. Buying a new to me truck is out of the question. I've even toyed with the idea of trading mine in for another early model year 3rd gen, another 04 or 05. Some dealers are asking $37,000 for an '05 with ~100k miles. You've got to be fucking kidding me. Jesus. These things stickered new for $40k or so. Fuck, I can buy a 2012 for that. People are fucking retarded. :rolleyes:

Surely people must be paying these absurd prices, otherwise there wouldn't be so many trucks this stupidly priced.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I think my current plan of action is crossing my fingers the stock 48RE holds in long enough so I can source parts to swap it out for a G56. Buying a new to me truck is out of the question. I've even toyed with the idea of trading mine in for another early model year 3rd gen, another 04 or 05. Some dealers are asking $37,000 for an '05 with ~100k miles. You've got to be fucking kidding me. Jesus. These things stickered new for $40k or so. Fuck, I can buy a 2012 for that. People are fucking retarded. :rolleyes:

Surely people must be paying these absurd prices, otherwise there wouldn't be so many trucks this stupidly priced.

I'm sure you know this but....

If you do swap to a g56 make sure you get a late model. I couldnt imagine a 05-06 G56 with 4.10s. My 05 with 3.73s and 35s is geared pretty low, perfect for towing really but empty it could use 3.50s.

And if it helps you sleep better by truck has 95,000 on it. Most of that has been with as dual disk clutch and the last 40k has been with compound turbos, bigger injectores, etc etc. The truck had its first programmer before it hit 1,000 miles and I have towed well over 20k lbs many many times for hours at a time. So far, not trans issues what so ever.

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sure you know this but....

If you do swap to a g56 make sure you get a late model. I couldnt imagine a 05-06 G56 with 4.10s. My 05 with 3.73s and 35s is geared pretty low, perfect for towing really but empty it could use 3.50s.

And if it helps you sleep better by truck has 95,000 on it. Most of that has been with as dual disk clutch and the last 40k has been with compound turbos, bigger injectores, etc etc. The truck had its first programmer before it hit 1,000 miles and I have towed well over 20k lbs many many times for hours at a time. So far, not trans issues what so ever.
Yeah, I was looking at that. Honestly, I'm not sure how bad even an early model G56 would be. Can't be much worse than the 48RE.

If my stock 48RE surprised me and dies an early death, I'll probably just get a built one to replace it. Otherwise, I'm looking for a G56. Once I actually have a G56 in my hands, I'll get serious with buying the flywheel, clutch, pedal assembly, etc etc.

I was looking at a 2010 that had 175k on it, they were asking $26k. Not sure what I think about trading for a truck with more miles... but hot damn I love the updated looks/interior of the newer rams. :homer:

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Yeah, I was looking at that. Honestly, I'm not sure how bad even an early model G56 would be. Can't be much worse than the 48RE.

If my stock 48RE surprised me and dies an early death, I'll probably just get a built one to replace it. Otherwise, I'm looking for a G56. Once I actually have a G56 in my hands, I'll get serious with buying the flywheel, clutch, pedal assembly, etc etc.

I was looking at a 2010 that had 175k on it, they were asking $26k. Not sure what I think about trading for a truck with more miles... but hot damn I love the updated looks/interior of the newer rams. :homer:

I too really like the looks of the new trucks. But considering mine is oh so paid for, has 95,000 miles on it and makes way more power than even the newest 6.7's, I think I will just hold on to it.

A note on the G56s. My dad has an 09 and I have not verified it but it seems like his truck with 235s still turns less rpms than my 05 with 35s on it. Next time I drive his I will try to pay attention and see exactly what rpms his turns compared to mine.

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The G56 behind the 6.7's have a .74 6th, the 5.9's have a .79 6th.
Wondered what the transition period was for the different gear ratios. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Wondered what the transition period was for the different gear ratios. Thanks!
It's actually in 07. 07 5.9L's have the .74:1 OD. The transition to the 6.7L was 07.5.

Mine spins a lot of RPM unloaded cruising compared to the 47/48re trucks my friends have, but I love the .79:1 towing even with the 3.73's and 35's.

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What's your RPM's at 60? The truck gets such terrible fuel mileage towing 65 or over, honestly I don't think it will matter too much. The 5th wheel just acts like a huge brick in the wind.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
What's your RPM's at 60? The truck gets such terrible fuel mileage towing 65 or over, honestly I don't think it will matter too much. The 5th wheel just acts like a huge brick in the wind.
~1700rpm, but all my friends have 3.55's and 3.73's as well so the comparison to 47/48re was direct as opposed to those with 4.10's like yourself.

·
Registered
12,231 Posts

Your location says Stafford. Is that Tx?

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope, VA, next to the black hole that is DC

1 - 20 of 36 Posts