Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Fistful of Boomstick
Joined
·
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after getting a few PMs about the 60 cover i did, here is a how to make a hardcore dif cover for us cheap bastards. :D There are a few venders here who make sweet ass dif covers but none of them offer countersunk bolt holes (thats what i wanted) unless i dropped the cash on a crane (too poor) so with under $75 worth of material and a day or so I make this fawker.

The ring is from jeepnmatt on the board link to his venders thread and was realy happy with it and is a great guy to deal with.
the ring and a 5 foot section of 1/4 by 4inch steel plate

then i went and cut the pipe for my countersinks. the pipe diameter will vary depending on the style bolts you want to use. i am using allen heads so i used (i believe) 1 inch scd 40. you can use DOM or HREW for the aplication but i realy see no point.
I cut in in 2 inch pieces so i would have more depth than i needed. Its better to have extra than not enuf

then i placed the bolts in the holes in the ring and spaced the pipe

and then welded all the pipes to the ring alternating sides to avoid warping

then i went and made a "paper doll" of the actual cover using cardboard. trust me you want to do this step as it makes life suck less than if you dont :laughing:
 

·
Fistful of Boomstick
Joined
·
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cut out all the pieces.
i numbered all the pieces so i knew what side was up and for a refrence if i had to do other shit at the time

all the finished pieces (next to a caliper at 6 inches in case someone wants to import it into CAD and cut thier own for a 14 bolt)


I skipped the photos of me burning my fingers tacking it all into place :flipoff2:
once all tacked up, go and cut off the pipes flush. i tried to leave a gap near each one to fill with weld


then weld the fawker up solid. i do mine inside and out.
now whip out the 4.5inch grinding wheels and flap wheels and make it as slick as you want.


she may not be the prom queen but she will take the most banging :flipoff2:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
812 Posts
That is sweet :smokin:
jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
i really like your countersunk allen heads and the pipe. Great idea looks killer too time for the paint shed . great tech
 

·
Fistful of Boomstick
Joined
·
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SlamChops said:
damn, thats some serious beef there. looks great. :smokin:
I figure that once i seriously shave the rear it will need it for sealing.

and when i eventualy land it with the whole weight of the rig on a pointy rock,because i know that will happen :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,404 Posts
usmcdoc14 said:
I figure that once i seriously shave the rear it will need it for sealing.

and when i eventualy land it with the whole weight of the rig on a pointy rock,because i know that will happen :flipoff2:

If you drive your rig like you do a wheelchair you might want one hell of a cage Gil.

Here he comes..... damn dude, let off a little, oh shit, there he goes WHOOOMMMPPPPP!!!!!!!! Damnit Gil, backwards endos are getting old!


:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
 

·
Fistful of Boomstick
Joined
·
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rocktoyo said:
If you drive your rig like you do a wheelchair you might want one hell of a cage Gil.

Here he comes..... damn dude, let off a little, oh shit, there he goes WHOOOMMMPPPPP!!!!!!!! Damnit Gil, backwards endos are getting old!


:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
dude you didnt see me beating my DD amigo :laughing: I need all the armor i can get once i get my "real" rig working :flipoff2:

and where is my steering ram :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,404 Posts
usmcdoc14 said:
dude you didnt see me beating my DD amigo :laughing: I need all the armor i can get once i get my "real" rig working :flipoff2:

and where is my steering ram :p


According to Matt his Uncle is dropping it by tomrow afternoon along with that other thing. If a limo pulls up or a towtruck that would be him. (Matt is the guy who picked up the front) Let me know if it dont sell, I gave the guy a set of super duty wheels so he oughtta be inclined to do as asked. Fawking metric ford bullshit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Looks good.
How did you keep the ring from warping?
 

·
Fistful of Boomstick
Joined
·
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jeeplvr said:
Looks good.
How did you keep the ring from warping?
with the counter sinks i welded 1/3 of each tube and then went to a diffrent pipe to allow it to cool.

i tacked the whole cover together and then welded from the top of the dome down. the plate is so thick combined with the dome shape i wasnt realy worried about it warping once it was tacked but after welding the whole dome area i worked in sections to complete it to the ring.The inside welding was done last and is just "traced" over the seams for a little more strength but mainly for sealing.

and if i did manage to warp it a little i was going to take the belt sander to it :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,759 Posts
WOW!

that is IMPRESSIVE!

the next time you are ready to do another diff cover...let me know and i'll make you a deal on the ring :D

thanks for the outstanding (and very entertaining) write-up! my favorite line was the one about "banging" and "prom queens" :flipoff2:

Matt
 

·
Fistful of Boomstick
Joined
·
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
jeepnmatt said:
WOW!

that is IMPRESSIVE!

the next time you are ready to do another diff cover...let me know and i'll make you a deal on the ring :D

thanks for the outstanding (and very entertaining) write-up! my favorite line was the one about "banging" and "prom queens" :flipoff2:

Matt
i only have 2 axles on my rig :flipoff2: and my roomate would require some serious bribery to get me to weld up one for her,being as i am already doing most of the work on her rig :laughing: but who knows.

here is a diffrent angle
edit: forgot the dam pic
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Sweet work, I envy your skills....
After thought: how are you going to fill it up with oil once its bolted on? Am I missing something, Do I really suck that bad?
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top