Pirate 4x4 banner

bullet proof dif cover how to

5K views 51 replies 33 participants last post by  flatbelly7 
#1 ·
after getting a few PMs about the 60 cover i did, here is a how to make a hardcore dif cover for us cheap bastards. :D There are a few venders here who make sweet ass dif covers but none of them offer countersunk bolt holes (thats what i wanted) unless i dropped the cash on a crane (too poor) so with under $75 worth of material and a day or so I make this fawker.

The ring is from jeepnmatt on the board link to his venders thread and was realy happy with it and is a great guy to deal with.
the ring and a 5 foot section of 1/4 by 4inch steel plate

then i went and cut the pipe for my countersinks. the pipe diameter will vary depending on the style bolts you want to use. i am using allen heads so i used (i believe) 1 inch scd 40. you can use DOM or HREW for the aplication but i realy see no point.
I cut in in 2 inch pieces so i would have more depth than i needed. Its better to have extra than not enuf

then i placed the bolts in the holes in the ring and spaced the pipe

and then welded all the pipes to the ring alternating sides to avoid warping

then i went and made a "paper doll" of the actual cover using cardboard. trust me you want to do this step as it makes life suck less than if you dont :laughing:

See less See more
#2 ·
cut out all the pieces.
i numbered all the pieces so i knew what side was up and for a refrence if i had to do other shit at the time

all the finished pieces (next to a caliper at 6 inches in case someone wants to import it into CAD and cut thier own for a 14 bolt)

I skipped the photos of me burning my fingers tacking it all into place :flipoff2:
once all tacked up, go and cut off the pipes flush. i tried to leave a gap near each one to fill with weld

then weld the fawker up solid. i do mine inside and out.
now whip out the 4.5inch grinding wheels and flap wheels and make it as slick as you want.

she may not be the prom queen but she will take the most banging :flipoff2:

#10 ·
SlamChops said:
damn, thats some serious beef there. looks great. :smokin:
I figure that once i seriously shave the rear it will need it for sealing.

and when i eventualy land it with the whole weight of the rig on a pointy rock,because i know that will happen :flipoff2:

#11 · (Edited)
usmcdoc14 said:
I figure that once i seriously shave the rear it will need it for sealing.

and when i eventualy land it with the whole weight of the rig on a pointy rock,because i know that will happen :flipoff2:

If you drive your rig like you do a wheelchair you might want one hell of a cage Gil.

Here he comes..... damn dude, let off a little, oh shit, there he goes WHOOOMMMPPPPP!!!!!!!! Damnit Gil, backwards endos are getting old!

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

#12 ·
Rocktoyo said:
If you drive your rig like you do a wheelchair you might want one hell of a cage Gil.

Here he comes..... damn dude, let off a little, oh shit, there he goes WHOOOMMMPPPPP!!!!!!!! Damnit Gil, backwards endos are getting old!

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
dude you didnt see me beating my DD amigo :laughing: I need all the armor i can get once i get my "real" rig working :flipoff2:

and where is my steering ram :p

#13 ·
usmcdoc14 said:
dude you didnt see me beating my DD amigo :laughing: I need all the armor i can get once i get my "real" rig working :flipoff2:

and where is my steering ram :p

According to Matt his Uncle is dropping it by tomrow afternoon along with that other thing. If a limo pulls up or a towtruck that would be him. (Matt is the guy who picked up the front) Let me know if it dont sell, I gave the guy a set of super duty wheels so he oughtta be inclined to do as asked. Fawking metric ford bullshit.

#16 ·
jeeplvr said:
Looks good.
How did you keep the ring from warping?
with the counter sinks i welded 1/3 of each tube and then went to a diffrent pipe to allow it to cool.

i tacked the whole cover together and then welded from the top of the dome down. the plate is so thick combined with the dome shape i wasnt realy worried about it warping once it was tacked but after welding the whole dome area i worked in sections to complete it to the ring.The inside welding was done last and is just "traced" over the seams for a little more strength but mainly for sealing.

and if i did manage to warp it a little i was going to take the belt sander to it :flipoff2:

#18 · (Edited)
jeepnmatt said:
WOW!

that is IMPRESSIVE!

the next time you are ready to do another diff cover...let me know and i'll make you a deal on the ring :D

thanks for the outstanding (and very entertaining) write-up! my favorite line was the one about "banging" and "prom queens" :flipoff2:

Matt
i only have 2 axles on my rig :flipoff2: and my roomate would require some serious bribery to get me to weld up one for her,being as i am already doing most of the work on her rig :laughing: but who knows.

here is a diffrent angle
edit: forgot the dam pic

Attachments

#23 ·
braxton357 said:
Except for I don' theen thas' a 14b cover. :confused:
yes its for a 14 bolt , 2nd line, my 2nd post
:flipoff2:

and yes 14 bolts have a filler in the housing.
My 60 that i did the same i went and grabed a pipe cap and plug of the same size, drilled the cover and welded in the cap with the "cap" part cut off. you could use anything a large nut welded in and bolt to plug it. or even tap the cover, but 1/4 inch is not a safe bet for me to thread. :D
I then made a guard for the plug out of some scrap and welded it on.

ForsterIV: dont envy me, i am just a cheap ass backyard "fabricator" (i love that word ) :laughing: Just go and make shit, and fuck it up, and make more shit :flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.