Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I have been Building my 88 tin top for a while now and am getting started on Fabricating some bumpers. Anyone have some pics of front and rear bumpers on their rigs. Looking to make a winch mounted front bumper with a stinger and also a rear bumper with tire carrier and mounts for my jerry can and high lift. I know I could go buy them but I am trying to make as much parts on my tin top as I can then buying it off the shelf.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
my buddys old tractor style bumper
brandonzuk.jpg
cool but complicated
JIMNY-LG.jpg
mine
sammy with top down.jpg
the green zuk has two rods welded to the rectangle tube leaned back to hook up straps, also has a reciever for the winch.
sammycollection.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
A few years ago, I built a rear bumper with LED lights mounted like dsnelson91 shows above. I've got access to lasers, so the bumper is more fitted and tapered like the aftermarket stuff, but that's not the point. If I ever manage to be home in the daylight, I'll post a picture of it. As soon as it was finished, I realized how vulnerable the lights are to trail damage. My replacement plan is to build one with an integral swing-out tire carrier. The tire carrier will have a tube full width just above the main bumper with the bumper sticking out beyond it by a couple inches. The lights will be mounted in the swing-out tube so that they're not the first thing to hit an obstacle.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not here to offend anyone but:
Your rear bumper needs to have enough body clearance to actualy protect the tin, without screwing up your departure angle....
Most of the bumpers pictured here are a bit to close to the tin to do any good.
And if your gonna french your lights into the bumper, add eyebrows over them to protect them from being crushed when using your bumper to deadhead against trees....Just the thought of a (QUOTE) Newbe....Boxcar...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Most of the bumpers pictured here are a bit to close to the tin to do any good.
And if your gonna french your lights into the bumper, add eyebrows over them to protect them from being crushed
Wish I would have known, guess I should scrap mine then :flipoff2:

2x4 .120 with the stock taillights, receiver, and a cut out in the bottom to kinda follow the lines of the stock bumper

Also highlift and spare mount

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

2x4 .120 with the stock taillights, receiver, and a cut out in the bottom to kinda follow the lines of the stock bumper

I like the way your spare tire is mounted. Might have to see How it will work with an exo cage and the back door of my tin top.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Again, nice bumper. Great job on the fabricating LOOKS GOOD.
I See a couple problems though. First Your swing away is frame mounted . ( Good)
Your latch is body mounted.( Bad) . Unless your body is welded to the frame I see a potential problem......Not to mention if you dead head the rear for winching you will toco that tailgate.
Your High lift is mounted in one of the two worst places it can be.
Low on the front or rear bumper . Fun to get at when you need it ( can you say BURRIED)???
How do you get at the lug nuts with the tire down???? Not to mention climbing over that huge ass spare tire to access the rear of your rig..
If you have to lift that monster down , why have a swing down at all???
I'm not trying to be a Dick here .....I have had to help deal with that exact style of tire carrier in the woods in the past . It's a total pain in the ass.
Try fibbing a hood mount for your high lift ( the last place to go under when buried) unless your on your top!!!!
I like your lights...Eyebrows will protect them and look cool , if cool is what your looking for...
Trying to come up with a good functioning tire carrier is tough.
You either body mount it , and deal with the destruction all that weight causes to the tin . Or frame mount it (as you did) and try to come up with a latching system that is also frame mounted that works without jamming.
That's one of the reasons I exo'd my spam can...

Good luck and happy trails....Boxcar.... let the hate mail begin...

·
Premium Member
784 Posts

another great idea stolen from dboz:evil: i wanna copy that rear tire carrier.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I like it too but i think i am gonna do a rear stinger carrier so the tire is protected incase for some reason my sammi rolls back words. Kinda like the same idea the jeep and chevy guys have.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I See a couple problems though. First Your swing away is frame mounted . ( Good)
Your latch is body mounted.( Bad) . Unless your body is welded to the frame I see a potential problem......Not to mention if you dead head the rear for winching you will toco that tailgate.
No. The latch is mounted to the rollcage, which is sandwich plated to the frame.

Your High lift is mounted in one of the two worst places it can be.
Low on the front or rear bumper . Fun to get at when you need it ( can you say BURRIED)???
No. My High Lift is in the best possible place, outside of the Samurai where it doesn't take up valuable space. It is mounted low to keep the weight down. I have never hit it on anything, though I wouldn't care if I did. It is also very easily accessible, never had an issue getting to it. Burried in what? Snow maybe, and I would rather dig through that than dig through the cab to get to it.

How do you get at the lug nuts with the tire down???? Not to mention climbing over that huge ass spare tire to access the rear of your rig..
If you have to lift that monster down , why have a swing down at all???
Why would I need to get to the lug nuts with the tire down??. It can't be fixed because I want the tailgate to be functional. It swings down because there isn't any clearance between the tailgate and rear tires to have it swing out. And I think it looks cleaner laying down instead of using a bearing (which there isn't room for anyways) to swing out

I'm not trying to be a Dick here .....I have had to help deal with that exact style of tire carrier in the woods in the past . It's a total pain in the ass.
Try fibbing a hood mount for your high lift ( the last place to go under when buried) unless your on your top!!!!
:lmao:, ok the hood part has convinced me that you are just fucking with me, but I will keep playing along :flipoff2:

I like your lights...Eyebrows will protect them and look cool , if cool is what your looking for...

Definitely just trying to look cool, got any eyebrow pics? what the fuck is an eyebrow??

Trying to come up with a good functioning tire carrier is tough.
You either body mount it , and deal with the destruction all that weight causes to the tin . Or frame mount it (as you did) and try to come up with a latching system that is also frame mounted that works without jamming.
The 'latch' is just pins, one pinning the tube tire carrier to a modified stock spare carrier (factory bolted to the tailgate), and that sneaks under the top and pins to the roll cage. I don't have a great pic of it, I'll try to get one

Good luck and happy trails....Boxcar.... let the hate mail begin...
So ... you're an engineer? :laughing: good luck to you as well :flipoff2:

Thanks, copy away :beer: There is nothing new under the sun, sometimes I just dig a little deeper for things to copy :D

a couple more shots

I like it too but i think i am gonna do a rear stinger carrier so the tire is protected incase for some reason my sammi rolls back words. Kinda like the same idea the jeep and chevy guys have.
I half considered a small stinger for the spare, but then I thought, if I can abuse the other 4 tires, what's it gonna hurt the spare to take some hits? And with how big it is (was, its a 36" radial TSL now, not the 38.5 pictured), I think it would have looked a little out of proportion. With a smaller spare, I think you could work a rear stinger into your exo and make it look pretty good

·
Registered
44 Posts
Promised pictures of the rear bumper mentioned above...

DSC09839.JPG

DSC09840.JPG

This is going to get reworked with the lights mounted in a swing-out tire carrier frame.

Although I haven't built a front bumper yet, here's my solution to the turn signal mounting problem...
DSC09838.JPG

·
Registered
134 Posts
I love your Sammy Boz . Very cool. And I now see your predicament.
Cut Sammys can be a challenge .
Your latch still bothers me though. Looks liken a stock tire carrier is used as the tail gate latch ( to the cage), then your swing down pins to that. Am I seeing this right? If so your latch point is the tail gate.
The buried comment refers to MUD . I'm from NW Oregon . We have mud
Lots of lovely mud , Mud everywhere.
A hood mounted high lift ( at the hood hinge point) is the most accessible (and least likely to get hooked) point on the rig to mount a high lift.
We also do allot of water crossings here. Ever got hung in a river.
I hate swimming for high lifts , Could be a new sport though...
And mounting your jack below that Huge spare tire to keep the weight low seems like to little to late..........
And yes I am an engineer...Please don't hold that against me...
Again I see your predicament .
If it works for you it is perfect.....
After all it is your creation (not mine) and it should be just as you (not me )want it.....
I like it......
We fabed a bumper very similar to yours on a CJ5 we built a few years back . That bumper used eyebrows around the lights. I will look for a pic of them for you....Happy trails....Boxcar

1 - 20 of 20 Posts