Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 85 burb that is a dually with matching front. I use this for towing my [email protected] to the woods and back. Well there has be a few times that 4x4 would of helped get back out to the road.

So I am wanting to make my burb into a 4x4.
I did a search and I do not want to do coils and 4link(never done one and do not want tow rig to be the first,safty first)

I was thinking that I would just find someone parting out a 4x4 burb and buy the frame and swap my body and rear axle and get one for the front but I am not haveing any luck there.

So is there any other chevy truck(?) frame that is the same as the burb frame?

Is there a easy way to make a 2x4 into a 4x4?

:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
487 Posts
The burb frames are the same as a truck frame except for some of the body mounts and stuff . Im not sure if the the burb wheel base is the same as a long bed truck .

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
You are more likely to get the surburban body on a truck frame. Going from a 2x to a 4x is a PITA! Too many issues have to be delt with. Just do like you were talking about and find one being parted out and go from there. You may have to fab up som e body mounts and other little crap like that thought, still a lot easier that converting the 2x

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a guy Jeff (Muddytazz) on coloradok5.com that just did this exact body to frame swap - he has all kinds of pictures of it on his website too - he could probably help...

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I believe the truck frame and Sub frame are way different.The Sub frame drops behind the motor like the truck frame but stays down untill just in front of the spring mounts.The truck jumps up right after the cab.Also wheel base is different (Sub 129.5,truck reg cab 131.5)

I have been wanting to convert my Crew Cab over also.I was looking into using a Ford D44 from a 1/2 ton with the coils and radius arms.Then use a newer Chevy transfer with the driver side drop or do a Ford divoriced 205.I measured my neighbors Ford and the coils are the same distance apart.Just get everything from the front of the Ford.IE radius arm/frame brackets/coils/ panard arm.I think this could work great and have a nice ride also.Blazin:D

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks I will have to look into both ideas now

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
A freind of mine has a 4wd Burb frame, it's 3/4 ton, 10 bolt front 14 sf in the rear, and pretty sure 4:10s. If you want to call him for a price/info, drop a pm.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The 4x4 front stuff is essentially all bolt in. Just swap in the 4x4 front crossmember (or build one). Try SEARCHing, IIRC there was a writeup w/pics on this BB a few months ago, looked pretty simple.

Pete

·
Registered
258 Posts
For the 85' all the holes should already be in the frame. Just torch out all the stock rivets bolt the 4wd stuff in, that includes the whole crossmember setup. Either change the steering box or run a cross over. It's a lot of work, but not more than changing the whole frame.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mmmm... Once I get off of work I will have to go look at that. I looked at my buddy's but he is a 87 I did not think they changed the frame then.mmmmmmmmm

thanks for the infor

·
Registered
774 Posts
it can be done I done it on my sub back last fall when I replaced by 6.2 that broke the crank with a 6.5 that later cracked the block. I believe the it was easier with the engine out. I replaced the crossmember with the 4wd one,the front rad and spingmounts, the shock mounts need fixed still, cut the holes in the frame for the rear pivots on the springs. The only problem I had was the frame that the rad mount front spring mounts was an earlier model the bushing is made different. hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts